Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best bipod?

Old 09-20-2020, 05:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default Best bipod?

I want to add a bipod to my 243, my 30-.06, and Mrs. Fan's .22. I have had one that was cheezy. I want to avoid that again.

EDIT: I am hoping for one that has some height to it. I hunt in Wyoming, so I shoot over sage a lot. It has to go about 20" at least. That one is for my 243 and 30-.06. The .22 is a range gun only, so it has more flexibility, but it's for the wife, so it has to be good. She gets only the best.

Suggestions?

TIA

Last edited by DJfan; 09-20-2020 at 06:21 AM.
Old 09-20-2020, 06:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

very hard to beat Harris bi pods IMO, they been in the game a LONG time
but if it was me I think I would also be considering something like this too,
https://www.primos.com/shooting-sticks/trigger-sticks/

as these have a lot of nice advantages over a BI pod mounted to a gun IMO
I found them a lot more useful over the yrs than just Bi pods, as a lot of the hunting I have done out west, I sat on slopes and even my TALL Bi pod's seemed short at times for shooting sitting down, and due to slope, laying down wasn't always an option, so having the taller and NOT attached to rifle option, was more useful for me, but will come down to what YOU like and where YOU hunt!,,but I would at least look at them, if your in the market for a decent rest in the field!
Old 09-20-2020, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Ive used a harris 13"/27" swivel bi-pod for decades on my 340 wby as it allows you to make long range shots while seated or prone

https://www.harrisbipods.com/HB25CS.php?

http://www.grumpysperformance.com/de...herby340ma.jpg

Last edited by hardcastonly; 10-29-2020 at 07:50 AM.
Old 09-20-2020, 10:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by DJfan
I want to add a bipod to my 243, my 30-.06, and Mrs. Fan's .22. I have had one that was cheezy. I want to avoid that again.

EDIT: I am hoping for one that has some height to it. I hunt in Wyoming, so I shoot over sage a lot. It has to go about 20" at least. That one is for my 243 and 30-.06. The .22 is a range gun only, so it has more flexibility, but it's for the wife, so it has to be good. She gets only the best.

Suggestions?

TIA

I have tried both bipods and mono pods and both left something the be desired. When I got drawn for a PA elk license for the 2018 season after applying for 17 years I wanted to give my self any advantage I could. I bought a bog pod tripod and I am very glad I did. It is easy to use and very stable and I was resting my rifle on it when I tool my cow elk at 155 yards, she didn't go ten yards before going down.
Old 09-20-2020, 11:07 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I have tried both bipods and mono pods and both left something the be desired. When I got drawn for a PA elk license for the 2018 season after applying for 17 years I wanted to give my self any advantage I could. I bought a bog pod tripod and I am very glad I did. It is easy to use and very stable and I was resting my rifle on it when I tool my cow elk at 155 yards, she didn't go ten yards before going down.
Is that the Deathgrip one, or the one with the rest?

congrats on the elk!!
Old 09-20-2020, 01:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do you want a bi-pod to put on your rifle or to carry. I've had bi-pods (Harris and others) for a while but IMHO the best "bi-pod" is a hand held Tri-pod. Much more stable. Primos trigger stick gen 3 is awesome. I just picked one up a couple weeks ago and it is high enough to shoot off standing and you can spread the legs out wide enough to shoot sitting. Well worth the $$
Old 09-20-2020, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

I've found bipods mounted to the rifle to be annoying to carry and difficult to use. In the field it's difficult for me to get set up quickly and comfortably making them
worthless for me in a hunting situation. Maybe off the bench I would have a different opinion.

When my wife started hunting I didn't want her shooting off hand. So I bought a shooting stick for her to carry. She's shot several deer off of it now. It's just an adjustable shooting stick. Lightweight to carry. Quick to set up, and provides a good rest.

i carried it attached to my back pack in wyoming antelope hunting but ended up shooting mine while resting off my back pack.

Might be something to consider.

-Jake

Old 09-20-2020, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

Also, I'm laughing- typical forum responses here, including my own.

You asked for bipod suggestions and got several suggestions of something totally different. Normal forum type responses.

BUT looking over the guys who made those suggestions for shooting sticks/ handheld bi/tri pods there's allot of experience in this suggestions and that's worth considering.

Mine is similar to what mrbb posted, the monopod on that page.

-Jake
Old 09-20-2020, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think BI pods work well in certain set ups and hunting terrains
when I did a lot of coyote hunting in rather open places where I would set up for a while and not so much walk and not be Hoping to catch one in the open,and need a fast shot
they can be nice, pending again set up
and more comfortable than any hand help mono /bi, or tri pod shooting stick
but like most things in life, , the reason we have sop many options these days is, due to different things work better in different places and for different lies in each shooter/hunter)

I am not bashing Bi pod's they have there strong points and use at times
but I added what I did, just so you can have other idea's on what else is out there these days, that might work better, again pending the OP's hunting area, and desires!

better bi pods have better options for sling attachment to help make them easier to carry, but just like bi pods and such, there are also many ways to carry/pack a rifle that can make hauling a rifle with a BI POD attached easier or not!
all comes down to what and how you carry rifle! IMO
also comes down to WHAT type of rifle your using things on too?

I know I spent many days a afield out in the wide open spaces, carrying a heavy bolt action with a 27 inch heavy barrel and a BIG BI pod, found out what ways work better for me to carry in all them days and what ways were NOT so much fun, too LOL

Old 09-20-2020, 08:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Harris bipods for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.