Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Are the "short magnums" dead? >

Are the "short magnums" dead?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Are the "short magnums" dead?

Old 11-27-2020, 11:17 AM
Spike

Thumbs up Short mags...

Having been in the firearms sales industry the last 27 yrs. and having sold around 250k firearms this is my take. The 270 WSM eats the long action 270 win for breakfast . As far as Ballistics and in a more compact Mt. type rifle much easier to carry with a shorter bolt throw for mountain hunts here out west. Next to the more recent 6.5 CRM my most sold, its a best seller and though it has more recoil it also hits harder. Many do not reload and superior high end factory ammo is available that offers outstanding performance on everything, Deer, Sheep, Elk, etc. Knowing many guides in the western states as well as having guided off and on since the late 70's This caliber I feel is here to stay. Then again , who knows in this crazy world . ;-
)
Old 12-02-2020, 06:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Bull whacker99
Having been in the firearms sales industry the last 27 yrs. and having sold around 250k firearms this is my take. The 270 WSM eats the long action 270 win for breakfast . As far as Ballistics and in a more compact Mt. type rifle much easier to carry with a shorter bolt throw for mountain hunts here out west. Next to the more recent 6.5 CRM my most sold, its a best seller and though it has more recoil it also hits harder. Many do not reload and superior high end factory ammo is available that offers outstanding performance on everything, Deer, Sheep, Elk, etc. Knowing many guides in the western states as well as having guided off and on since the late 70's This caliber I feel is here to stay. Then again , who knows in this crazy world . ;-
)
Are you talking about the 6.5 Creedmoor when you say 6.5 CRM? If so, I feel sorry for every single person you've ever given advice to.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:35 PM
Spike

I know, the 6.5 CDM is the save all cartridge... and so it goes.
Old 12-04-2020, 03:44 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by jeepkid
Are you talking about the 6.5 Creedmoor when you say 6.5 CRM? If so, I feel sorry for every single person you've ever given advice to.
I agree 100%.
Old 12-04-2020, 04:02 PM
Spike

Is it you are thinking the 270 wsm is dead? Guess again. The post was basically, are various WSM,s still viable calibers? Yes, primarily 270WSM and 300 WSM. Thats what the post was about and the quantity of that caliber selling in general and in quality, custom rifles...Gun Werks, Christensen Arms, Best of the West, Fierce etc are a constant order. Maybe not in your neck of the woods .
Old 12-05-2020, 02:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

yeah the creed is pretty anemic for all the hype its given, just shows what the press can do with a mediocre cartridge when you build decent rifles and decent ammo. though its touted as a long range big game cartridge, don't think it has the energy for anything past 600 yards.
RR
Old 12-05-2020, 03:46 AM
Spike

All Around its ,( the 6.5 Creedmore ) a great low recoil, balletically terrific cartridge with the correct bullet for its chosen application. Its not a cure all and though out here with long shots, even 500-600 yds and big animals. I have played witness to many lost trophy caliber animals. Many from great shooters that consistently ring the 8 inch gong at 800yds.and can punch paper all day. It just doesnt have what it takes for most to humanely put a big bull Elk ,Bison, whatever, down at that range and often further. Actually the common choice here are 270 wsm, 7mmrem. both 300win,300wnm,,300 Ultra and 28 Nosler. The later 5 being more the canyon bangers. although there are quite a few using 338 Lapua, and improved versions of these. The 6.5PRC and better yet 300PRC are starting to get lots of attention. Lots of sheep hunters have leaned in favor of the 270WSM as the go to Mt. rifle due to Lt. weight, range, kinetic energy, quick bolt through ,etc. On another note... Go shoot some coyotes to keep in practice and take pressure off our game animals.. The Fox Pro X-1 is just amazing! Add a moving decoy and they come screaming in! Stay safe out there!
Old 12-05-2020, 11:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

why are you touting the 270 wsm? its not much more than a 270 win. loaded to the same pressure? even the 270 Weatherby leaves a lot to be desired at 600 yards. if you wan't a long range 270 cartridge check the specs on the 277 Allen mag, the 7mm Allen mag, or the 300 Allen exp. the 6.5's and newer 270 bullets are pretty good on the BC scale but the BC does not help a bunch till you get to 700 yards and beyond.
RR
Old 12-05-2020, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

They are to me.
Old 12-05-2020, 05:20 PM
Spike

The context im trying to stay within is common calibers , like the 270WSM and not handloading. Basic factory calibers and with basic and high end Hornady, Nosler, Federal say loads with ELDX, Accubonds, Bergers, Barnes and the like. Sure you can come up with all kinds of Wildcats but most gun makers dont produce them and most customers arent handloaders working up good viable recipes. Again the thread was are the WSM,s dead? No, Just from the sales quantity still coming off the shelf the 270 & 300 WSM are still a steady seller out here. Im sure be it Tulsa Ok, St.Paul Minnesota, Chico California or Traverse city Michigan its all different. Different strokes for different folks for many various reasons. Stay safe out there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.