Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
yeah posted mostly to get your opinions >

yeah posted mostly to get your opinions

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

yeah posted mostly to get your opinions

Old 04-06-2020, 07:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by flags
I have a buddy that has an original Springfield of WWII vintage that he got from CMP when they had them. We used to play with it a lot. Fun rifle. I'd rather have the 30 Carbine with a 30 round mag than an AR in 5.56 for home defense. I know the 5.56 is effective because I shot some folks in the Middle East with it but I just like a little more bullet weight and the 30 Carbine shoots 110 gr bullet.

South Korea wanted to return thousands of M1s in 30 Carbine back when OBozo was in office. Normally these would go through the CMP for civilian purchase. OBozo refused to allow them into the nation and they were cut into scrap. CMP hasn't had any except for special auction listing for some time. May need to just bite the bullet and order a new one. Springfield and a few other makers still make them but they are pricey. I'd rather have one of the old military issue just because of the history behind them.
Yeah. The one I had was a CMP gun.
Old 04-07-2020, 04:05 AM
Fork Horn

No clue what being said or asked....This is why we boil our thoughts down into a couple sentences.
Old 04-07-2020, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cut and paste extraordinaire. Long posts are unreadable to me. I no longer need lots of pictures to keep me occupied.
Old 04-07-2020, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I learned the role of firearms a whole different way than is preached today. First engage at the longest distance practical, none of this wait until you see the whites of their eyes B.S.

A pistol is only for those instances when your long gun malfunctions or touch them distance, a much better option than hand to hand or knife combat. Rifle, carbine, shotgun, pistol, knife, hands/feet and teeth in that order as the distance of engagement decreases. I have no idea where a pistol caliber carbine falls in the list, before or after a shotgun? Shotgun generally has a better chance of a hit, while a pistol caliber carbine has a little more distance.

Then you have to access the threat,

In the neighborhood, only two directions I can fire to make a full rifle useful or practical and even then passthrough might pose a threat to innocents.

A pistol caliber carbine might be useful. I opt for a rifle caliber carbine myself and try to shoot from the high ground, second story.

I shoot running rabbits (mostly) in the head with a shotgun, biting down on shotgun pellets is not fun. Shot them in the face and that is pretty much the end of the threat. If that makes you squeamish, the crotch is also a good deterrent.

Two things I always look for in a firearm, reliability and how robust it is.
Old 04-07-2020, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by MudderChuck

A pistol is only for those instances when your long gun malfunctions or touch them distance, a much better option than hand to hand or knife combat. Rifle, carbine, shotgun, pistol, knife, hands/feet and teeth in that order as the distance of engagement decreases.
When I went through my combat training they told us the only reason to use a knife was to fight your way to a pistol and the only reason to use a pistol was to fight your way to a long gun and the only reason to use a long gun is in cases where you cannot bring a crew served weapon to bear. The gist of that line of thinking is that you always try to upgrade your weapon at all times. Additionally I'd like to point out that the 30 Carbine shown IS NOT chambered in a pistol cartridge. The 30 Carbine round was specifically designed for the M1 Carbine. Therefore it is a rifle cartridge. The fact that some handguns have been chambered for it does not make it a pistol cartridge. Heck there are handguns chambered for 30-30, 30-06 and even 45-70 but that doesn't make them pistol cartridges.
Old 04-15-2020, 07:01 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I'm following this post correctly...

my thoughts are...

get a .300 blackout ar15 with a 8.5" barrel to fulfill or better all of your needs!

IMO .300 blk > 9mm, .40, .45 and still compact....more powerful, also 110gr supersonic, and 220 subsonic options

Old 04-16-2020, 06:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rogerstv
Cut and paste extraordinaire. Long posts are unreadable to me. I no longer need lots of pictures to keep me occupied.
Glad someone finally said it about one of his posts.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Between what I assume are grammatical errors and the machine gun bullet formatting, I honestly have no thread what this post is supposed to be asking, or if it’s trying to tell something instead. Needs a major overhaul.
The OP is in good company.
Old 04-16-2020, 08:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I believe the question is "do you think PCC's are still viable, or have they been superseded?"

To which the answer is YES.

They are still viable, but they have also been superseded.

A 16" barrel 9mm PCC (preferably a locked breech design) loaded with 9mm+P+ is equivalent to a 4" barrel .357 magnum ballistically. No one on earth would ever say a 20 or 30rd .357 magnum is a bad thing.

A .357 magnum lever gun with a 16" barrel and max pressure rounds is the ballistic equivalent to a 7.62x39mm AK, but is 50 state legal. No one would ever say that's a bad thing. This is also a very Jury friendly option.

An M1 carbine with 110gr JSP has about the same muzzle energy at 100yds as a 4" .357 magnum at the muzzle. No one would ever say that's a bad thing.

None of them are bad...but an AR a Mini-14 or an AK is still better for most things.