Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
SAAMI Approved: 6mm ARC >

SAAMI Approved: 6mm ARC

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

SAAMI Approved: 6mm ARC

Old 06-05-2020, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sure is a good thing Hornady released it into the civilian market then, ain’t it?

I made my support for the 6mm ARC as a hunting cartridge clear in the original post:

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
I’ve considered the 6.5 Grendel/6 Dasher/6 Creed/243win class of cartridges to be optimum for deer hunting, and this entry into that class will be fantastic for sport shooters and hunters alike.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 06-05-2020 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-05-2020, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I found this today as well, relating to the various barrel lengths which will inevitably be used.
Attached Thumbnails SAAMI Approved: 6mm ARC-6035635d-d25b-4538-8f48-d82ac1c18813.jpeg  
Old 06-08-2020, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
Sure is a good thing Hornady released it into the civilian market then, ain’t it?

I made my support for the 6mm ARC as a hunting cartridge clear in the original post:
You seem combative. This is like the 4th time you've responded to me aggressively for no apparent reason. Is it cause i'm the new guy, or because you're not used to anyone questioning you here?

Saw it reported on TGC news today the 6mm ARC is claimed to have 54% less recoil than 308, but 73% more recoil than a 5.56mm.

Last edited by Valorius; 06-08-2020 at 04:40 PM.
Old 06-09-2020, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

This isn’t a military forum, and this wasn’t a “the military plans to replace the 5.56 in the M4” thread, and such was never implied. But you’re a hammer which only sees nails. There are more functions within the DoD than infantry, and they issue a lot more than 5.56 M4’s. You could have simply left it at accepting that. But instead you’re wasting your own breath being dismissive about a new COMMERCIAL cartridge because you don’t see it as an advantage over the M4 in 5.56 for infantry use. No one has said it is meant to replace the 5.56, but you seem to insist on banging that particular drum.

If you had anything to add to this discussion regarding commercial sale, civilian use, and didn’t focus only being so dismissive regarding your imagined proposal for this as an infantry rifle, and maybe if you didn’t insist on so much of your own snark, I would be more inclined to take you seriously, and would be less inclined to point out the foolishness you’re bringing to the table.

Last edited by Nomercy448; 06-09-2020 at 10:48 AM.
Old 06-09-2020, 01:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I did not realize it is forbidden to discuss the military applications of a military cartridge on a discussion forum.

As far as "imagined" proposals, many commentators in military circles believe that this cartridge is a hedging of the bet for if (when?) NGSW- which is a tremendously ambitious program- does not work out. Which would potentially thrust 6mm ARC into a prominent infantry role.

Furthermore, the title that you selected for this thread does not in anyway indicate you wish to only discuss it's utility as a civilian cartridge.

I think you are just making excuses for being so cranky.
Old 06-15-2020, 12:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been thinking about this more. What about an infantry squad composed as follows:

Standard riflemen: M4 or M4A1 in 5.56mm
DMR: Updated M16A5 or Mk12 SPR in 6mm ARC.
SAW: M27A2 rechambered for 6mm ARC with Magpul D60 drum magazine (which would probably hold 50rds of 6mm ARC)
Platoon level machine guns: New belt fed gun in the 13-15lb range chambered for 6mm ARC.

I am coming to see this as a viable universal support weapon replacement caliber, the more i think about it.
Old 08-19-2020, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hornady trickled out load data for gas guns last week, and released this week bolt gun data, for bullets 58-110 grains:

Hornady 6 ARC Bolt Gun Load Data
Old 08-19-2020, 08:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

From a military perspective, the 5.56 has left something to be desired over in the sandbox. There are plenty of published articles regarding this. This issue was a lot of what drove the 6.8 caliber development. I wasn't as impressed with the 6.8 ballistics although I can see where it might have some specialized uses. A 6mm now, is kind of like a beefed up 243. From the info NoMercy posted, it seems like this 6mm ARC has been designed to have more punch at longer range than a 5.56 would. Personally, I'd love to have a 243 in an AR-15 platform. I'd gladly give up a few rounds in capacity for a round that has a lot more punch and range. As an ole jarhead, I think a platoon of Marines carrying M4's in 6mm ARC would be quite lethal in the sandbox. I don't know if you'd want a machine gunner using that caliber or still using .308 as I haven't considered that all the way through. I do know I'd be a lot happier carrying an M16 variant in 6mm than I would in 5.56 for any longer distance combat arena.

On the civilian side of things, it's a new cartridge, has load data from Hornady and stays supersonic way past 1,000 yards. I can see this round catching on.
Old 08-20-2020, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

It has always been a compromise between the number of rounds you can carry and the effectiveness of the cartridge. The newer AR platforms seem better at mitigating recoil so a little more oomph is practical, But it goes back to how much weight and the number of cartridges it is practical to carry. A basic load for a rifleman is a little over two hundred rounds.
The M 249 is IMO way underpowered for a squad weapon, improving the energy of the round would be a plus.
The technology has improved significantly over the years, but physics has remained much the same.
How many rounds you can carry, the energy of the projectile, the weight of a basic load and recoil. A weapon that can be fired from the hip or underarm has its advantages or basically something that can be fired on the move without, having to stop to shoulder it, breaking your forefinger, and(or is relatively controllable.

Personally I've always favored bigger is better. A 7mm would make a better S:A:W: but would weigh down a normal rifleman and limit the number of rounds he (or she) could carry. There is something to be said for a S.A.W. and a rifleman sharing the same caliber ammo. Have you ever tried to stop a truck with a squad MG? Way more difficult than you'd think it isn't like the movies. Inflicting casualties isn't the only consideration. Stopping light-skinned vehicles or even airplanes is a part of the mix.

As a hunting round IMO the 6mm ARC doesn't bring anything to the table some other rounds couldn't do better. Doubtful the ammo weight would be much of a factor Side note an overpowering hunting round doesn't do a lot of good, much of a bullets energy is wasted if it passes all the way through an animal. Too much velocity often just wastes meat or destroys pelts, bruised and shredded meat is a waste, exploded Varmints are useless.

Old 08-20-2020, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

I can see where the 6mm ARC would be a step up from the 5.56 as a basic infantry round. A more powerful round is needed in the Middle East. As for the M249, I couldn't agree more. 5.56 is way too light for a SAW.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.