Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Shipping damage >

Shipping damage

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Shipping damage

Old 02-08-2020, 08:26 AM
Super Moderator

Default Shipping damage

I bought a rifle off gun broker. It shipped to my FFL who signed for it. I picked it up in a hard case and took it home.

Getting home I took it out and found a large dent in the stock, and a puncture hole in the hard case. I went back to the FFL and got the original shipping box from them. Matching hole in the box.

I've opened a claim with ups.

Anybody have any experience with how this works out? Any hope?

I've contacted the seller as well.

-Jake
Old 02-08-2020, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I sadly think it sort of comes down to the person that gets involved on UPS side of things
some folks are lust more understanding than others
if you follow, some will work better with you,. some will fight you.
and also keep in mind, what your willing to accept as an offer from them too, and I would recommend knowing this before you talk to them !

NEXT will be what insurance did the original shipper have on the box/shipment,a s this will play a BIG part in things!

did they insure it for MORE than its worth(cost you) or less, or worse NO insurance ?

I would also try talking to the seller on this too, as if any payment is to be had, I am gathering it will be made to THEM and NOT you.
so, say the shipper gets full value for the shipped item, what kind of discount from them with you want BACK to accept things AS IS!
as that is maybe how its going to play out!

when I was a UPS shipping center back in the early 90's, that's how it sort of came to be, always paid the shipper, not those receiving the packaged that was damaged or NEVER got there in the first place!

Old 02-08-2020, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow, that sucks. Ask your FFL if they noted damage on receit. That's where you start. 99% sure that they DID NOT.
I deliver fragile goods daily, and almost NEVER does anyone check the whole package. Ask UPS if they can check that for you. They may not, but its a good place to start. That puts the damage squarely in their court.
Old 02-08-2020, 09:44 AM
Super Moderator

FFL did not know about the damage.

Likely didn't check. They acted surprised as I was at least.

I've shipped buying and selling probably fifty guns with this guy and never had an issue. But I don't know him personally. Just my local FFL

-Jake
Old 02-08-2020, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

I understand.
He probably just saw that it was yours, signed for it, and the UPS driver ran out, on his way to another stop.

UN-fortunately, that leaves you less recourse. But NOT, without options. It just makes it harder to prove that it happened in route.
Old 02-08-2020, 01:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Give Browning a call first thing Monday morning and see how much a butt stock will cost for it. Then add onto that labor for a gunsmith to install it. You could easily do it yourself but you might as well get paid for your time. Next thing would be to contact the seller and get his email and send him the pictures. I believe if UPS is going to pay the full insurance they will want the rifle in return. But if you really want the rifle and UPS is willing to negotiate with the seller I would want nothing less than the price of a replacement butt stock.
But you know, looking at the damage, if that's all there is, I would keep the money should you get any. That repair would be very easy to fix. Take the butt stock off the rifle. Then take a rasp to the end of the pistol grip followed by gradual finer sandpaper then a couple light coats of clear polyurethane and you won't even know it was there.
Old 02-10-2020, 01:47 PM
Typical Buck

Boca, speaking from experience you should always inspect your firearm at the FFL before you sign it out as delivered. They are responsible for it until you sign for it. You will most likely be told you are screwed since you signed it out at your FFL. I did the same as you once a while back. I didn't inspect the rifle, just opened the case to verify it was what I bought and the serial number and didn't turn it over or anything to inspect. Got the thing home and found a huge deep scratch that wasn't on any pics on gunbroker and I didn't really see any damage to the shipping container. But since I accepted it at my FFL that was enough for gunbroker to say oh well it's yours now. Hopefully you have better luck than I but it was for sure a learning experience.
Old 02-10-2020, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I had my own failure to open the box bite me in the butt a couple years ago, and ever since, I have opened and inspected even new guns upon delivery to my FFL before I sign the 4473’s. I ordered a Marlin 60, picked it up and the box was still taped shut from factory. Sign and drive. Get home and realize the stock was broken completely in half at the wrist. Remington/Marlin sent me a replacement for free, very quickly, and my shop was offering to challenge it with the shipper.

I tend to assume any time a firearm is shipped, it WILL be dropped, kicked, and ran over by someone in the chain of custody.
Old 02-10-2020, 03:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
I
I tend to assume any time a firearm is shipped, it WILL be dropped, kicked, and ran over by someone in the chain of custody.
this is what I do and I always insure things for MORE than there worth, if a shipper challenges me on values, I tell them they were PARTS, and if they wish to break down a gun into a parts list and BUY all the parts, they will soon find out how much a GUN is worth, as when you BUY each and every p[art on a gun, to MAKE it,,, the costs add up REAL fast to a crazy number

NOW< also keep in mind if you DO order a new STOCK
that the odds are HIGH it will NOT match the forearm colors, this may matter more to some folks than others, but only way to get a like matching set, is to BUY a full set that is matching

On the flip side, there are some other stock makers that make some nice up graded wood stocks, and could be a round about way to suck up the costs and add some Higher ending wood to things!

I'm from the school when I HAVE to fix something if a UP grade is possible, I tend to go there, as all original went out the window when you replace things!
Old 02-10-2020, 03:49 PM
Boone & Crockett

Keep us posted how you make out Jake. I hope you fair well.
I did some searching for you Jake. Check out this link for your "hopefully" refund. https://www.browning.com/content/dam...ightweight.pdf

I believe the part #s you'll need are 75 (butt) and 30A (forearm) if you want a matched set. There are different ones it looks like for WSM, LA, etc.

Last edited by bronko22000; 02-10-2020 at 03:58 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.