Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
End of an Era: Remington shutters DPMS, Tapco, and Bushmaster >

End of an Era: Remington shutters DPMS, Tapco, and Bushmaster

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

End of an Era: Remington shutters DPMS, Tapco, and Bushmaster

Old 02-13-2020, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

There is quite a bit of guessing and bashing on the internet with Remington now. I do not know anything more than anybody else, except the real corporate insiders, but I would propose a wager to those who believe they do. Twenty U.S. dollars to be paid by the loser to charity says Remington survives their hardships. A twenty four month period for the wager should be satisfactory if you are certain enough to publicly predict the death of the brand. Any takers?
Old 02-13-2020, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don’t personally think Remington will completely close up shop. Not any time in the near future at least. It does remain for sale, but JP seems to be content holding the “more PC” portions of the business and letting it continue to operate. I don’t think, however, they’re interested in multimillion dollar retooling or relocation efforts, and they don’t feel the sting of being NY located as many of us might expect felt by a firearms company owner (JP isn’t leaving Wall Street any time soon). So I think it’s fair to say they’ll have to be bought, or the whole thing would have to close before they’d be motivated to move from NY.
Old 02-24-2020, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Homer and I were just talking about this the other day. While it's concerning that a manufacturer with such a long history as Remington might not make it, it truly IS "survival of the fittest." These companies that have chosen to remain in gun-unfriendly states are just asking for a difficult existence.
Old 02-25-2020, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

I remember a trip years ago as we passed through upstate NY headed for the Falls. As we came to Ilion I mentioned how I'd love to stop but knew we didn't have time. The whole car said, oh stop and so we did. I came out with a beautiful stock and forearm they had taken off an 870 trap gun probably to replace it with something custom. I was looking for a higher comb for my scoped slug gun. Came home with some beautiful wood for $35. What I regret is that I didn't have more time to take in the museum they have on the premises. I walked around it wishing I could have spent the whole day there. I sure hope that is preserved somehow.
Old 02-25-2020, 02:49 PM
Fork Horn

Remington will find that this capitulation will just be the stepping stone to closing the entire gun business. The liberal pressure that they bowed to will only get worse now that they have shown that they are weak.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

I doubt that the brand Remington firearms will disappear. They have been around for a long time and survived. The brand has been sold and resold and it has always bounced back.
Old 02-26-2020, 04:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

It’s fair to say Remington has been around for a long time, but I’m not sure I’d agree they “bounce back” very well. Not in the last couple of decades at least. Legacy companies do fall, Kodak, Sears, Winchester Firearms... We might see some kind of buyout and selling on the Remington name, but like Winchester and Craftsman, we likely won’t see a company anything like that which built the Remington legacy name.

Their closure of Bushmaster, and whole-hog exit from the MSR/AR-15 market is an obvious concession to the liability they swallowed following the Supreme Court decision - keeping that company on its feet would mean it’s marketing mistakes in the past could and would always be able to come back to haunt them with a steep reputational and financial penalty at each iteration. So as Remington falls to their “base business” of hunting firearms, in an ever dying hunting market, what’s their opportunity to “bounce back” this time?