Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Browning BLR .300wsm >

Browning BLR .300wsm

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Browning BLR .300wsm

Old 02-03-2020, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

Here's the online photo of it.

-Jake
Old 02-03-2020, 12:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
The pistol grip. The straight stocks never felt right to me.

-Jake
I am the opposite, a straight stock feels better to me. All my shotguns are straight stock, my high powered rifles are 50/50. Very nice rifle no matter which stock you prefer. I have a detachable magazine rifle, a mod 88 Win. in .308. Never have to worry about shooting pointed ammo. Good luck with the new gun, I see it has the gold trigger like the Marlin 336.
Old 02-03-2020, 12:53 PM
Super Moderator

ditto, the strait stocks just feel right, ive got both and both work ok, but I have a minor preference for the strait stock
Old 02-03-2020, 02:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

You'll have to bring that up to the cabin this year. I don't recall ever handling one with a pistol grip. That maybe way I didn't care for them other then how good they look.
Old 02-04-2020, 05:25 AM
Typical Buck

congrats jake that's one beautiful looking rifle . should be a great gun for pa . always have loved the pistol grip style . you made a great choice.
Old 02-04-2020, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Given the damage I have sustained to my wrist, it would be to my benefit to adopt more pistol gripped leverguns, but I simply can’t bring myself to overlook my subjective aesthetic preference for English/Straight stocks. Of course, I shoot leverguns with my thumb on the same side, so I tend to distend my fingers out from the gripneck, relaxing my wrist anyway... but I’m sure I’d be accuracy and speed ahead to garner support on a pistol grip.

With a high powered, high pressure BLR in .300wsm, a pistol grip would undoubtedly be welcome to secure the rifle more tightly to the shoulder. The BLR isn’t a lightweight, but light enough to let a 300 misbehave a bit if not well shouldered.
Old 02-06-2020, 10:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

It looks like a real joy to carry in the woods...but I betcha it's a real thumper; even though it has a squishy looking recoil pad on it.

Many years ago...my brother had a BLR in 308 --- He finally got rid of it, because he experienced too many jams.

I have a peep sighted pre-64 - Winchester 94 - in 30-30.

Last edited by Erno86; 02-06-2020 at 10:24 AM. Reason: added a sentence
Old 02-08-2020, 06:51 AM
Super Moderator

Rifle came. Damaged in shipping. See my post on shipping damage.

-Jake
Old 02-08-2020, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator

how about posting a link to the ship damage thread,
btw I know from experience that some people DELIBERATELY try to damage firearms in shipment

some people go out of their way to damage fireams, purposely they want to reduce interest in hunting, or the ability of hunters to plan a hunt successfully

the first time I went out of state to hunt ( northern california)
I bought a decent rifle case,
to make it easy to find in case there were several hunters with similar cases

I painted mine in
ALTERNATING

HOT PINK
SKY BLUE

BLOOD RED
ELECTRIC GREEN
PASSION PURPLE

AND
HAZARD ORANGE

3" wide STRIPES
needless to say it stood out from the other luggage cases
while I waiting to board the plane I see the guys loading luggage on the plane DELIBERATELY drop several rifle cases off the conveyor belt, by pushing them off the edge with their feet , then picking them up and throwing them back on the conveyor belt, where most fell off a second or third time before they go loaded in the planes cargo section, I was REALLY PISSED and complained immediately and was told they would look into that..with a stupid smile from the boarding girl I complained too!
I never heard a word from the air lines about this later, it was the LAST time I flew with firearms
(btw the case was dented and heavily scratched but the rifle inside was fine) so it pays to buy a good quality case.

btw there was a small pad lock on each latch and several layers of duct tape over and completely around the case keeping the locks from bouncing or snagging on other cases, that is no longer alowed, one more reason I drive rather than fly from florida to western states to hunt

Last edited by hardcastonly; 02-08-2020 at 07:37 AM.