Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
28 years ago >

28 years ago

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

28 years ago

Old 01-19-2020, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default 28 years ago

I bought my first AR, a 13 pound behemoth caller the RRA varminter. I was really impressed with the way the thing shot. that year I was averaging 94% first round hits on woodchucks from 350 to 440 yards, even managed to hit two at 500. carried that beast for miles hunting groundhogs and crows in the river bottom hay fields of eastern wv.
Even though I also possessed a Ruger #1V in 22-250 I carried the RRA because I was so much more accustomed to the trajectory of the 223, with the 250 I was good from 200 to 350 yards and then things got iffy.
With the new push toward gun control from the democratic trolls in DC I did what I always do, went out and bought another EBR (evil black rifle) this is my 5th one, I decided to go with the AR10 platform and after hearing about a round called the 50 Krater, ordered a lower. Well the 50 is not yet available for some reason so I ordered a verioforce tactical 22" complete upper in 6.5 creedmoor. still some work to be done on it, needs a trigger for one and a change in optics. That will have to wait due to the fact that the engine blew in my '03 dodge 3500 work truck, so there goes 5 grand of play money ( course 3 days before the cummins grenaded I purchased a bass boat, that didn't help much)
Anyway, these darn things are getting heavier as I approach my 60th birthday, not sure what it weighs but not sure how much I can carry it. Y'all have a good day

RR
Old 01-19-2020, 01:01 PM
Super Moderator

What!!!! You have a Black Rifle (I can't make myself say evil) without a beautiful walnut stock! Oh the perfidy!

p.s. Happy Birthday in advance. Youngin!!

Last edited by CalHunter; 01-19-2020 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-20-2020, 06:56 PM
Typical Buck

Noice.
Old 01-22-2020, 05:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey RR I know what you mean about the heft of those AR-10s. Compared to my AR-15 my 10 seems to weigh almost twice as much. And getting an upper in a 6.5 CM I believe you will be pleasantly surprised with it. Can't wait to see the range results.
Old 01-26-2020, 03:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Hey RR I know what you mean about the heft of those AR-10s. Compared to my AR-15 my 10 seems to weigh almost twice as much. And getting an upper in a 6.5 CM I believe you will be pleasantly surprised with it. Can't wait to see the range results.
was looking forward to see how it will run some 140 Bergers but that will be postponed till mid summer, been an exciting winter, sent a rifle off to be built in 338 edge, then bought the AR, then a to good to turn down deal came up on a bass boat, the next day the engine in my dodge 3500 dropped a valve leaving the engine ruined. Thats 2 months pay to get it up and running. will post results of roadwork as they come up. Life is still good!
RR
Old 01-26-2020, 02:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
Thats 2 months pay to get it up and running. will post results of roadwork as they come up. Life is still good!
RR
It's only money. And with Christ by your side you'll be fine. Keep them in the 10 ring!
Old 02-15-2020, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

scored on a RRA NM trigger that some guy replaced with a Giselle single stage, I tried them both, I think I prefer the RRA, gave the guy 40 bucks for it.
RR
Old 02-18-2020, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Maybe I'm just not used to my Geisselle single stage, that I put on one of my RRA's...but it seems way too fast for me; even though I don't have the light hammer spring installed on it --- Like it's way too easy for me to bumpfire with it.

For reliability in combat training courses...I would not rely on the RRA match trigger group, or possibly even the Giselle types; since I'll stick with mil-spec hammers in such scenarios --- due to the spindly looking (breakable) hammers of most of the other trigger groups for the AR's.

I still love the beefy looking hammers in my AK's.

Last edited by Erno86; 02-19-2020 at 09:26 AM. Reason: typo & spelling
Old 02-18-2020, 01:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Erno86 - have you broken many Geissele or Rock River match triggers? Have you specifically broken them during the defensive carbine type classes you referenced? Is there a certain number of rounds you expect these to fail, or are you also suggesting these fail due to a rate of fire contribution as well? Could you comment to the incorrect selection that military agencies have specified the Geissele triggers in some campaign rifles? Could you also comment to the design differences between the Army SDMR trigger from KAC which has a thinner neck and larger head than the RRA and Geissele hammers which would make the KAC somehow more durable than the lower inertia Geissele or RRA?

Last edited by Nomercy448; 02-18-2020 at 01:36 PM.
Old 02-18-2020, 02:03 PM
Boone & Crockett

Of course not. he has only seen black guns in pictures, he never owned one. All hat and no cowboy!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.