HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   I need a pocket pistol (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/422552-i-need-pocket-pistol.html)

Bocajnala 01-14-2020 07:04 AM

I need a pocket pistol

I need a pocket pistol. My regular every day carry switches between my Glock 17 and a Springfield xds .45.

I need something smaller for the rare occasions I can't carry on my belt or in the waist band.

Has to fit in a pocket.
I prefer no manual safety. But would consider options with a manual safety if need be.
i prefer 9mm but would at least consider .380 if I need to.

main thing is it has to be small but reliable, no junk.

I had my heart set on either a glock43 or the sig p365 but they aren't small enough I don't think.

What else is on the market that I could consider.

Price isn't a consideration really but I'm not looking to drop a grand on this either.

-Jake

Cub Slayer 01-14-2020 07:26 AM

I like the Sig P938, although it has a manual safety. Or perhaps the Kahr CM9?

Bocajnala 01-14-2020 07:27 AM

I'm planning on carrying it in one of those pocket sleeves, like a wallet that the pistol slides in to.

-Jake

Cub Slayer 01-14-2020 07:48 AM

I will say, however, that I normally carry my P938 in an OWB holster in Condition 1. When I pocket carry, its Condition 3.

Oldtimr 01-14-2020 08:07 AM

http://www.amderringer.com/m1.html When I want a gun with punch I can carry in my pocket I carry one of these.

Cub Slayer 01-14-2020 10:48 AM

Nowadays, there doesn't seem to be much difference in size between the pocket 380s and the pocket 9mms. I suppose some of the Kel-Tec 380s are pretty tiny, but who wants to trust their life to a Kel-Tec?

Erno86 01-14-2020 11:24 AM

It might be a tad too big --- My own Smith & Wesson 357 Magnum M19 Snubby revolver with a 2 1/2" barrel.

mrbb 01-14-2020 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Cub Slayer (Post 4368619)
Nowadays, there doesn't seem to be much difference in size between the pocket 380s and the pocket 9mms. I suppose some of the Kel-Tec 380s are pretty tiny, but who wants to trust their life to a Kel-Tec?

MY kel tec p-11 has an easy 5500 rounds thru it and has worked flawless over the past 20+ yrs I have it ?( and I sold a few hundred of there brand guns and most also worked just fine some very impressive to be honest)

I'd have no issue carrying it if I wanted to! and I have at times!

after selling almost 20,000 guns, and shooting thousands of them,of many makes names and models, I know for a fact ALL can have issue's!
and there are NOT really any ILL made guns today, due to all the lawyers out there
are there better built/designed guns, YES< but seen some of them have issue's too

any gun you carry, should be tested and used a bunch to be sure it likes what ammo your using and HOW you can handle it!

Cub Slayer 01-14-2020 12:51 PM

Seen too many problematic Kel-Tecs to trust them - far greater than their proportion. The PF-9, for instance, is unpleasant to shoot even when it works properly.

270sniper 01-14-2020 01:37 PM

I totally agree with above post. I had a Kel-tec 380 cal. and had problems jamming, doubling feeding etc.

when I first got the gun I bought a box of ammo and had issues with that brand so I ended up buying 2 different brands of ammo and still had issues. In addition, other co workers lent me different 380 ammo to no avail.

At this point, I contacted Kel-Tec and sent the gun back with a note with each brand of ammo I tried. They fixed the rail and slide and sent the gun back after test firing with a note indicating they tried 5 out of 6 brands of ammo I used.

Within a month, I traded that gun in for a Ruger LCP 380 that fits nicely in my pants pocket. I never had a issue firing this gun.

hunters_life 01-14-2020 01:46 PM

Sig p290rs is a good little pocket carry. I don't know your body or hand size and both of mine are fairly large so it's just a bit too small for me. I carry a s&w m&p shield in my back pocket. With the 8 round mag with finger extension it fits my hand a bit better and still fits in my pocket holster. If you are a bigger guy then you may want to take a look at those but if you are average and can actually shoot one of those tiny little hand cannons then the 290's are very accurate and have a bit of heft to them so the recoil doesn't make the tiny little thing jump out of your hand.

Daveboone 01-14-2020 02:05 PM

It has a safety, but the Sig 938 is an outstanding easy to carry gun. the safety lands right under your thumb and is automatic to flick off. 9mm, very controllable...but stick with high performance rounds (as most of the mini 9s prefer). Other than that, tough to beat a S&W J frame .38. 100% reliability, easy to carry, very affordable.

Bocajnala 01-14-2020 02:27 PM

I have big hands. But I've played with a Ruger lcp enough to know that to expect with a small pistol.

I'm actually going to go look at some rugers and Sig's tomorrow. I expect the sig to be better quality. But they sell allot of the rugers.

Not interested in keltec.

-Jake

mrbb 01-14-2020 02:53 PM

the new kimber micro 9 is also a very nice smaller hand gun !

Cub Slayer 01-14-2020 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Daveboone (Post 4368633)
It has a safety, but the Sig 938 is an outstanding easy to carry gun. the safety lands right under your thumb and is automatic to flick off. 9mm, very controllable...but stick with high performance rounds (as most of the mini 9s prefer). Other than that, tough to beat a S&W J frame .38. 100% reliability, easy to carry, very affordable.

My P938 is pretty good about ammo. I had one stovepipe with steel cased, so I stick to brass. I agree about the ergonomics - the P938 just fits me well. I can hit clays at 25 yards pretty consistently with that little gun.

Cub Slayer 01-14-2020 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by mrbb (Post 4368639)
the new kimber micro 9 is also a very nice smaller hand gun !

Before buying the P938, I was intrigued by the Kimber Solo. It looked very snag-free and concealable. After handling it, and reading MANY reviews, I'm glad I didn't go that route. Much bad press about that gun, and the spring was horrendous.

The Micro 9, on the other hand, looks sweet. Never got to try one.

mrbb 01-14-2020 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by Cub Slayer (Post 4368646)
Before buying the P938, I was intrigued by the Kimber Solo. It looked very snag-free and concealable. After handling it, and reading MANY reviews, I'm glad I didn't go that route. Much bad press about that gun, and the spring was horrendous.

The Micro 9, on the other hand, looks sweet. Never got to try one.

different models can solve some issue's, and that is why I said I don't bash on keltec's or really any brand name!
I seen many work flawlessly and some models, well?? from ANY brand, have had there down sides

and IMO, .380's are ALL rather picky on being reliable and ammo used in them, break in times and so on
I sold a LOT many yrs back, and most were all designed for Ball ammo,(think Walter PPK and likes) and then folks would try and use hollow points or like (protection) ammo and then have all sorts of reliability issue's

and then came the really compact 9 mm's and again, I think many of these real,small guns, can be AMMO picky as well as limp hand/hold sensitive
I personally am NOT a big fan of .380's nor the super tiny 9's, or any caliber in super tiny semi autos yes some work better than others, but they do lack on a lot of things, a little more gun might not have to over come as much!
this is MY opinion based on my yrs about things

name brand alone to a point, doesn;t always mean will work flawless
seen MANY high end guns have issue's, between finding ammo they liked, to needing to be broken in to get more reliable, and some times, its the shooter that is at fault and NOT the gun too!

Nomercy448 01-14-2020 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Cub Slayer (Post 4368619)

I think you need to get out into the market a bit, the pocket 380’s remain considerably smaller than the pocket 9’s. There are some larger “9 sized 380’s,” like the Ruger LC380, Bersa Thunder, Kimber Micro380, etc, and a couple smaller 9mm’s like the Sig 290R, but there’s an entire fleet of pocket 380’s which run about an inch shorter in length and half inch shorter in height than the smallest 9mm’s. Pocket 380’s typically fall in the ballpark of 5.0” long by 3.5-4.0” tall, 0.9-ish inches wide, while the pocket 9’s will fall about 5.5-6” long by 4.5” tall, and usually over an inch wide. And the 9mm’s have to have a lot more “mass in the @ss” to tolerate the far more powerful 9mm cartridge - weighing 50% or more greater than the 380’s.

Pocket 380’s a “size smaller” than any of the 9mm’s on the market include: Ruger LCP and LCP II, Taurus TCP and Curve, S&W Bodyguard 380, Kahr P380, Kel-Tec P-3AT, Sig P238, Diamondback DB380, Glock 42, Beretta Pico, Remington RM380...

Personally, I carried a Beretta Tomcat and a Jennings J22 for a handful of years before the Kel-tec P-3AT was introduced which marked a step up in power. I carried a Kel-tec for 5 years until the Ruger LCP was released, and I remain to carry the LCP almost daily. For pocket 380’s, we have or have had the Bodyguard, P238, LCP, LCP Gen 2, LCP II, Glock 42, and P-3AT. The Jennings and Berettas weren’t reliable. All of the others I have owned have been perfectly reliable.

I never, ever recommend a pocket 9 or 380 with a manual safety. I never recommend any pistol with a manual safety for defensive carry for any of my students - I want as few dexterous manipulations between, “oh schitt” and “bang” as possible - but I absolutely warn against a manual safety on a pocket 380. The selectors are tiny, and typically stiff, which makes them difficult to manipulate, especially in a high stress scenario.

If I were to only have one pocket pistol, it would be a Gen 2 Ruger LCP (not to be confused with a LCP II). With an honorable mention tie for second place going to the Glock 42 and the LCP II.

Nomercy448 01-14-2020 07:42 PM

If you’re willing to size up a bit, which inevitably means dressing more intentionally or leaving your pistol at home or in your vehicle more often, then there are some great pocket sized 9mm’s on the market.

Among pocket, Sub-compact and micro 9mm’s, we have or have had the LC9 and LC9s Pro, Glock 43 and 26, Sig P938, P250, P320SC, and P365, Kimber Micro, Springfield EMP, and Kahr PM9 and CM9. Of these, I favor the Sig 365, Glock 43, and Ruger LC9s Pro. My wife most often carries her 320SC, which is about the same size as my G19. Want to get my hands on a Glock G43X this summer.

Bocajnala 01-15-2020 04:14 AM

As much as I want to stay with a 9mm I'm leaning towards one of the Ruger .380s. every review I read or video I watch on good pocket pistols seems to include the lcp

-Jake

Bocajnala 01-15-2020 04:15 AM

And it's the right size. Significantly smaller than my xds which I pocket carry at times currently anyway. And smaller than the 9mm options that I can find.

-Jake

Cub Slayer 01-15-2020 05:30 AM

I've read nothing but good things about the Ruger LCP II, and have spoken to several people who carry it.

The only .380 in our house is the M&P 380 EZ. Not small, but my wife loves it. Curious to give its new 9mm cousin a try.

Memtb2149 01-15-2020 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by Cub Slayer (Post 4368604)
I like the Sig P938, although it has a manual safety. Or perhaps the Kahr CM9?

We have two Kahr CM9’s and my wife carries a Sig 938. For pocket use.....the Kahr is more desirable! The new and improved Ruger LCP would be a good choice as well. A good trigger (for a small pocket pistol), and has no sharp edges. One gunwritter described it a “feeling like well-used bar of soap”! That should make it a great pocket pistol.....provided it’s not “slick if wet”! :p memtb

Cub Slayer 01-15-2020 07:01 AM

I *almost* bought a CM9 instead of the P938. I had the salesman bring out both so I could compare them side-by-side. After so doing, I bought the P938. I liked the trigger of the P938 much better. I'm NOT a big 1911 fan, but that has more to do with the cartridge than the gun itself.

I didn't like the big gap between mag and grip on the CM9 - thought I might get pinched a few times. The P938 just seemed better overall.

Big Uncle 01-15-2020 07:09 AM

If I am not wearing a jacket or coat I carry a Ruger LCP. I have both the regular LCP and the LCP II. The LCP II has better sights and trigger but for some odd reason I can shoot the regular LCP slightly better than the LCP II. Everyone else I know shoots the newer version of the LCP slightly better than the older one. I do have larger-than-average hands so getting a proper grip was a problem until I added one of those rubber grip sleeves. The grip sleeve worked wonders.

I have no idea how many rounds I have fired through the LCP pistols, but I have shot them a fair amount for such a tiny pistol. They surely are not target pistols but I have never seen any type of malfunction, and they are accurate enough for their intended purpose.

Bocajnala 01-15-2020 12:02 PM

Can I find the Ruger lc9 family without the safety?

I liked them- but everyone I looked at all had safeties

-Jake

Bocajnala 01-15-2020 12:04 PM

And the Glock 43 was only slightly larger than the lc9.

But at that point I'm starting to get close to the xds size anyway.

Decisions are hard.

-Jake

Cub Slayer 01-15-2020 12:07 PM

I thought such beasts were available.

BTW, decide whether you like the LC9 or the LC9s more, as people seem to feel very strongly about this point.

Cub Slayer 01-15-2020 12:12 PM

Yep, now I remember. You want the "LC9s PRO". Not only does it exclude the manual safety, it gets rid of the magazine disconnect.

I gotta say, the LCP II was considered a huge improvement over the LCP by many. I thought by now that Ruger would have done the same with the LC9.

It also seems at Ruger's website that they're not making the hammer-fired LC9 anymore, though I doubt you'd have trouble finding them on the used market if you wanted to.

Nomercy448 01-17-2020 04:28 PM

The LCP and LCP II are a size smaller than the LC9. Personally, I think the LCP Gen II is the belle of the Ruger LCP line up. The Gen II has an upgraded trigger and far better sights than the Gen I. The LCP II is actually a single action design, but with an extreme positive sear angle to create a DA like feel. The LCP Gen 2 is a traditional double action only design, but with recoil assist - meaning the slide partially cocks the hammer, and such, the hammer can not be doubled. The LCP II did correct the ridiculous concave grip sidewalls of the LCP, but doesn’t have the same comfort of the original LCP with a Hogue slip on is the best feel and best control of any of the LCP’s - the LCP II Hogue grip is better than bare, but the straighter grip backstrap makes the LCP II want to tip forward in hand after a few rounds, which doesn’t happen with the Gen I or II with or without a Hogue wrap. The Gen II sights are better than the LCP II’s as well.

The LCP II is a very good pocket pistol, but there’s a reason the Gen II’s are still in production - because they’re a more popular model, also for a reason - because the Gen II is a better pistol than the LCP II. I own both, carry both, and recommend both, depending which fit best in your hand and meet your personal preference.

The LC9s Pro is what we all asked for - yelled for - when the LC9 came out. The LC9s was halfway there, and it was a frustrating few years before we were given the Pro without the manual safety. FINALLY. I personally removed the lever from my LC9, and carried it with the safety off. The safety could still be activated with a fingernail. The factory lever was stiff and exceptionally tiny, such it was a joke to pretend it was effective for quick-deploy self defense uses - and of course, a manual safety on a recoil assist DAO pistol is silly from the jump. Of the LC9 frame, the LC9s Pro is the belle.

I do absolutely agree, however, that the LC9 frame pistols are of a size which REALLY makes me think twice and thrice before strapping on - since the G19 has better ergonomics, twice the capacity, and conceals ALMOST as easily.

elkman30 01-18-2020 03:44 PM

So when you say pocket carry, are yo9u talking about just sticking it in your jeans pocket with keys and everything else or are you gonna be using some kind of sticky holster that protects the trigger and makes it easier to draw from the pocket?

Bocajnala 01-18-2020 05:40 PM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4368605)
I'm planning on carrying it in one of those pocket sleeves, like a wallet that the pistol slides in to.

-Jake

:party0005:

-Jake

CalHunter 01-18-2020 09:47 PM

I'm kind of working on a pocket carry pistol myself. In the past, I used to slip a Walther PPK/S in a front slacks pocket. It was small enough that it worked and the gun shot pretty accurate at less than 15 yards. I did not like that hard DA trigger pull on the first shot so ended up selling it. I picked up a Glock 42 and a 43 to test further. This is a good topic with a lot of good information to consider. NM, I swear you're going to cost me more money. :poke: :s4:

Nomercy448 01-19-2020 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by CalHunter (Post 4368934)
NM, I swear you're going to cost me more money. :poke: :s4:

Just doing what I can to help, amigo! Admittedly, I’ve slowed down a lot on pistol/revolver purchases. Between buying/building precision rifle competition rigs and getting my son squared away with proper rifles, I haven’t dedicated as much of my budget to pistols of late - saving towards an integrally suppressed Mark IV upper this summer though.

bronko22000 01-22-2020 05:58 AM

Jake did you get one yet? I used to have a Taurus tcp. I believe the model was a 748 and it was in .380. I fed it Critical Defense ammo and although I literally did carry it in my pocket it did come with a wallet type holster. I would take it out and brush the pocket lint off it every once in a while. But before I did I loaded up the extra mag with 380 .roundball ammo and fired it off. Never any jams or failure to fire with either ammo and it was surprisingly accurate (to about the 10-15 feet I shot it!). It was indeed a close range weapon but IMO reliable.
I have big hands also but I could shoot it without any difficulty

Bocajnala 01-22-2020 10:04 AM

I haven't yet. I'm slow on making those decisions. Plus I have the xds I can pocket carry if need be.

And it's winter so I'm not pocket carrying now.

I'm leaning towards the Ruger lc9 or the lcp 380

-Jake

hubby11 01-24-2020 03:45 AM

Originally Posted by CalHunter (Post 4368934)
I'm kind of working on a pocket carry pistol myself. In the past, I used to slip a Walther PPK/S in a front slacks pocket. It was small enough that it worked and the gun shot pretty accurate at less than 15 yards. I did not like that hard DA trigger pull on the first shot so ended up selling it. I picked up a Glock 42 and a 43 to test further. This is a good topic with a lot of good information to consider. NM, I swear you're going to cost me more money. :poke: :s4:

I've got a PPK/S myself; yeah, that first trigger pull is a challenge. I still plan on carrying on a few hunts and am thinking of getting a pocket holster. When you carried it did you use a pocket holster (brand?) or just keep it in a pocket?

Champlain Islander 01-24-2020 02:27 PM

Got the wife a Smith 637 DA snubbie in 38 sp. Small and light weight and fits nicely in a front jeans pocket. Once in a while I'll carry it especially if it is summer and no coat. Slip it a jeans front pocket and it is gone.

Valorius 01-27-2020 04:59 PM

I've owned 3 Ruger LCPs. A 1, a LCP custom model (red trigger) and an LCP 10th anniversary model (silver trigger)

I HIGHLY recommend the red trigger custom model. Not only is it extremely reliable with a great trigger pull, but it takes glock night sights too.

CalHunter 01-27-2020 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by hubby11 (Post 4369242)
I've got a PPK/S myself; yeah, that first trigger pull is a challenge. I still plan on carrying on a few hunts and am thinking of getting a pocket holster. When you carried it did you use a pocket holster (brand?) or just keep it in a pocket?

I just slipped it in my front slacks pocket for CCW and never carried it as a backup weapon on duty. It actually didn't print that bad in my pocket. It was extremely accurate at up to 15 yards in SA but the DA shot usually opened the group up a bit.

When you say carry yours on a few hunts, are you thinking for CCW purposes or something you have handy when field dressing a critter?