Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
I need a pocket pistol >

I need a pocket pistol

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I need a pocket pistol

Old 01-28-2020, 04:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
I just slipped it in my front slacks pocket for CCW and never carried it as a backup weapon on duty. It actually didn't print that bad in my pocket. It was extremely accurate at up to 15 yards in SA but the DA shot usually opened the group up a bit.

When you say carry yours on a few hunts, are you thinking for CCW purposes or something you have handy when field dressing a critter?
More for peace of mind than anything else. The private land where I deer hunt has quite a few coyotes that have lately been unusually bold; in one case a pack of 10-12 started circling a hunter, getting within 5 yards. Their mistake since he had an AR platform .308 ended taking out 3-4 of them before they scattered. We also have a few black bears, at lease one sow with cubs. I usually hunt with a muzzleloader and getting deep in the woods an hour or so before legal light gives me the heebie jeebies.
Old 01-29-2020, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

I carry a 40 for most of the same reasons. It's nice to have the difference just in case.
Old 01-30-2020, 04:25 AM
Spike

I'd not swap my 43 Glock for anything else, to be honest. But if you want it to pack a punch and also be reliable - consider Ruger LCP II.
Old 02-06-2020, 06:49 PM
Spike

I carry the Sig P938 w/night sights in a pocket holster The Uncle Mike's size 36. I wear loose fit jeans & it fits in the pocket very well. My T-shirt or sweat shirt hangs down over it at the edge of my pocket so it is quickly removed when needed. The holster has a pocket clip so it can be worn on the edge of the pocket or all the way in the pocket. I also carry an extra mag in my other pocket.
Old 02-07-2020, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hubby11
More for peace of mind than anything else. The private land where I deer hunt has quite a few coyotes that have lately been unusually bold; in one case a pack of 10-12 started circling a hunter, getting within 5 yards. Their mistake since he had an AR platform .308 ended taking out 3-4 of them before they scattered. We also have a few black bears, at lease one sow with cubs. I usually hunt with a muzzleloader and getting deep in the woods an hour or so before legal light gives me the heebie jeebies.
If coyotes are your concern you want one of these.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImag...wm_3356007.jpg

Rick Perry shot a Coyote with his LCP some years ago, so Ruger made a special commemorative mode..
Old 02-07-2020, 07:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is my carry ensemble;

Attached Thumbnails I need a pocket pistol-edc-juy-4-2019.jpg  
Old 02-07-2020, 04:52 PM
Super Moderator

I got a chance to look at an lcp and an lcp2 side by side today. The lcp2 certainly seems like the better design. But it's a little bit bigger.

Not a ton, but certainly noticeable. The trigger was much better.

​​​​

-Jake
Old 02-08-2020, 06:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

I haven't read the whole thread so I don't know if this one has been mentioned but when I wanted a small pistol to carry I toted a Colt Detective Special with a 2 inch barrel in 38 Special. It was light, easy to conceal and best of all, double action. A 2 inch barrel means it isn't a long range rig for accuracy but I was concerned with someone within 20 feet and it was fine for that. Load it up with hollow points and carry one speed loader. 38 Special isn't as flashy as the newer calibers but I sure wouldn't want to take a round from it in the chest especially a hollow point. When I was no longer in need of it I gave it to a girlfriend that worked in a rough area of Denver and she carried it in her purse. When she went away so did the Colt. Kind of wish I had it back for a truck gun.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I got a chance to look at an lcp and an lcp2 side by side today. The lcp2 certainly seems like the better design. But it's a little bit bigger.

Not a ton, but certainly noticeable. The trigger was much better.

​​​​

-Jake
I am completely unconvinced that a short light single action trigger with no safety on a gun designed to be carried in your pocket is "much better" for CCW use. There is no disputing the LCP II would shoot much nicer groups, but that is not much concern for a CCW gun, IMO.

The LCP II trigger mechanism is basically a Glock copy, action wise. What do Glock owners say all the time? "The holster is the safety." So if someone gets an LCP II, PLEASE get a very good high quality holster to go with it. That goes for any of the single action-ish trigger dingus type firearms that are in vogue nowadays.

I really suggest anyone who wants an LCP try the custom or 10th anniv. model. It has a legit DAO that is eons better than the LCP1 model, but not as "D'oh!" prone as the LCP II. You can legitimately carry it safely with a pocket clip (or a cheap holster if that's your thing), and it is still a very, very nice trigger pull.

Last edited by Valorius; 02-09-2020 at 09:29 AM.
Old 02-10-2020, 04:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Actually the brain of the person carrying the handgun is the safety on all handguns. It doesn't matter if the gun is carried in the pocket or a holster you simply do not put your finger on the trigger until the gun is on target and you will not have to worry about an accidental discharge. I carry a Kahr MK 40, it is a striker gun like a Glock and has no safety. The fact it has no safety probably saved my life several years ago, I walked up to a 165 lb wild boar I shot and I thought was dead. After a reasonable amount of time I approached it to take pictures. I took one picture from the side and then walked to the front to get a picture of the cutters, I was about 4 feet away camera in hand rifle slung on my shoulder. When the flash on the camera went off the hog blinked,and before I could say oh s--t he charged me. I drew and fired in one motion and killed him at my feet. If I had to deal with a safety under those circumstances he most likely would have tore me up and I would have bed to death . Guns with no safety are not the problem, people who can't keep their fingers off the trigger before it is time to shoot are the problem.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 02-10-2020 at 04:25 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.