Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
I need a pocket pistol >

I need a pocket pistol

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

I need a pocket pistol

Old 01-14-2020, 01:46 PM
Typical Buck

Sig p290rs is a good little pocket carry. I don't know your body or hand size and both of mine are fairly large so it's just a bit too small for me. I carry a s&w m&p shield in my back pocket. With the 8 round mag with finger extension it fits my hand a bit better and still fits in my pocket holster. If you are a bigger guy then you may want to take a look at those but if you are average and can actually shoot one of those tiny little hand cannons then the 290's are very accurate and have a bit of heft to them so the recoil doesn't make the tiny little thing jump out of your hand.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:05 PM
Fork Horn

It has a safety, but the Sig 938 is an outstanding easy to carry gun. the safety lands right under your thumb and is automatic to flick off. 9mm, very controllable...but stick with high performance rounds (as most of the mini 9s prefer). Other than that, tough to beat a S&W J frame .38. 100% reliability, easy to carry, very affordable.
Old 01-14-2020, 02:27 PM
Super Moderator

I have big hands. But I've played with a Ruger lcp enough to know that to expect with a small pistol.

I'm actually going to go look at some rugers and Sig's tomorrow. I expect the sig to be better quality. But they sell allot of the rugers.

Not interested in keltec.

-Jake
Old 01-14-2020, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

the new kimber micro 9 is also a very nice smaller hand gun !
Old 01-14-2020, 05:07 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Daveboone
It has a safety, but the Sig 938 is an outstanding easy to carry gun. the safety lands right under your thumb and is automatic to flick off. 9mm, very controllable...but stick with high performance rounds (as most of the mini 9s prefer). Other than that, tough to beat a S&W J frame .38. 100% reliability, easy to carry, very affordable.
My P938 is pretty good about ammo. I had one stovepipe with steel cased, so I stick to brass. I agree about the ergonomics - the P938 just fits me well. I can hit clays at 25 yards pretty consistently with that little gun.
Old 01-14-2020, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by mrbb
the new kimber micro 9 is also a very nice smaller hand gun !
Before buying the P938, I was intrigued by the Kimber Solo. It looked very snag-free and concealable. After handling it, and reading MANY reviews, I'm glad I didn't go that route. Much bad press about that gun, and the spring was horrendous.

The Micro 9, on the other hand, looks sweet. Never got to try one.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Cub Slayer
Before buying the P938, I was intrigued by the Kimber Solo. It looked very snag-free and concealable. After handling it, and reading MANY reviews, I'm glad I didn't go that route. Much bad press about that gun, and the spring was horrendous.

The Micro 9, on the other hand, looks sweet. Never got to try one.
different models can solve some issue's, and that is why I said I don't bash on keltec's or really any brand name!
I seen many work flawlessly and some models, well?? from ANY brand, have had there down sides

and IMO, .380's are ALL rather picky on being reliable and ammo used in them, break in times and so on
I sold a LOT many yrs back, and most were all designed for Ball ammo,(think Walter PPK and likes) and then folks would try and use hollow points or like (protection) ammo and then have all sorts of reliability issue's

and then came the really compact 9 mm's and again, I think many of these real,small guns, can be AMMO picky as well as limp hand/hold sensitive
I personally am NOT a big fan of .380's nor the super tiny 9's, or any caliber in super tiny semi autos yes some work better than others, but they do lack on a lot of things, a little more gun might not have to over come as much!
this is MY opinion based on my yrs about things

name brand alone to a point, doesn;t always mean will work flawless
seen MANY high end guns have issue's, between finding ammo they liked, to needing to be broken in to get more reliable, and some times, its the shooter that is at fault and NOT the gun too!
Old 01-14-2020, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Cub Slayer
Nowadays, there doesn't seem to be much difference in size between the pocket 380s and the pocket 9mms. I suppose some of the Kel-Tec 380s are pretty tiny, but who wants to trust their life to a Kel-Tec?
I think you need to get out into the market a bit, the pocket 380’s remain considerably smaller than the pocket 9’s. There are some larger “9 sized 380’s,” like the Ruger LC380, Bersa Thunder, Kimber Micro380, etc, and a couple smaller 9mm’s like the Sig 290R, but there’s an entire fleet of pocket 380’s which run about an inch shorter in length and half inch shorter in height than the smallest 9mm’s. Pocket 380’s typically fall in the ballpark of 5.0” long by 3.5-4.0” tall, 0.9-ish inches wide, while the pocket 9’s will fall about 5.5-6” long by 4.5” tall, and usually over an inch wide. And the 9mm’s have to have a lot more “mass in the @ss” to tolerate the far more powerful 9mm cartridge - weighing 50% or more greater than the 380’s.

Pocket 380’s a “size smaller” than any of the 9mm’s on the market include: Ruger LCP and LCP II, Taurus TCP and Curve, S&W Bodyguard 380, Kahr P380, Kel-Tec P-3AT, Sig P238, Diamondback DB380, Glock 42, Beretta Pico, Remington RM380...

Personally, I carried a Beretta Tomcat and a Jennings J22 for a handful of years before the Kel-tec P-3AT was introduced which marked a step up in power. I carried a Kel-tec for 5 years until the Ruger LCP was released, and I remain to carry the LCP almost daily. For pocket 380’s, we have or have had the Bodyguard, P238, LCP, LCP Gen 2, LCP II, Glock 42, and P-3AT. The Jennings and Berettas weren’t reliable. All of the others I have owned have been perfectly reliable.

I never, ever recommend a pocket 9 or 380 with a manual safety. I never recommend any pistol with a manual safety for defensive carry for any of my students - I want as few dexterous manipulations between, “oh schitt” and “bang” as possible - but I absolutely warn against a manual safety on a pocket 380. The selectors are tiny, and typically stiff, which makes them difficult to manipulate, especially in a high stress scenario.

If I were to only have one pocket pistol, it would be a Gen 2 Ruger LCP (not to be confused with a LCP II). With an honorable mention tie for second place going to the Glock 42 and the LCP II.
Old 01-14-2020, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you’re willing to size up a bit, which inevitably means dressing more intentionally or leaving your pistol at home or in your vehicle more often, then there are some great pocket sized 9mm’s on the market.

Among pocket, Sub-compact and micro 9mm’s, we have or have had the LC9 and LC9s Pro, Glock 43 and 26, Sig P938, P250, P320SC, and P365, Kimber Micro, Springfield EMP, and Kahr PM9 and CM9. Of these, I favor the Sig 365, Glock 43, and Ruger LC9s Pro. My wife most often carries her 320SC, which is about the same size as my G19. Want to get my hands on a Glock G43X this summer.
Old 01-15-2020, 04:14 AM
Super Moderator

As much as I want to stay with a 9mm I'm leaning towards one of the Ruger .380s. every review I read or video I watch on good pocket pistols seems to include the lcp

-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.