Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
.45-70 or something else? >

.45-70 or something else?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.45-70 or something else?

Old 12-26-2019, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

Default .45-70 or something else?

A few years back I sold my .45-70 to partially fund a Savage 99 in .375 Winchester. I've taken three deer with that .375 and just haven't fallen in love with it. On game performance has been excellent, but I want to go back to a Marlin lever gun.

This will be for my primary Ohio (straight walled only) deer rifle, PA bear, and a walking gun for PA deer.

Should I be looking at anything else other than the .45-70? I do handload. Others that I was thinking of was .444, .450 Marlin. Any reason to go one of those routes over the .45-70?

Right now I'm 95% sure on the .45-70 but wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything. By selling the 99 I can pick up a Marlin lever as well as a youth rifle for the kids. Let's hear your thoughts.
-Jake
Old 12-26-2019, 10:42 AM
Fork Horn

Boy, am I understanding that .375 for what it is? Isn't that overkill for deer?

For states that require straight-walled cartridges, I don't think you can do better than .45-70. Good bear medicine too.

Still, as someone who owns a .44 magnum revolver, I wonder if that wouldn't be a better choice. Perhaps cheaper to run?
Old 12-26-2019, 10:59 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Cub Slayer
Boy, am I understanding that .375 for what it is? Isn't that overkill for deer?
No, you're not understanding. But that's ok. You don't seem interested in being here to learn. And I wouldn't want the topic to get off track in order to explain the difference between the .375 Winchester and what I assume you are confusing with the .375 H&H mag. But if you want to: Google .375 Winchester.

-Jake
Old 12-26-2019, 11:02 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Cub Slayer

For states that require straight-walled cartridges, I don't think you can do better than .45-70. Good bear medicine too.

Still, as someone who owns a .44 magnum revolver, I wonder if that wouldn't be a better choice. Perhaps cheaper to run?
That's my opinion too. But I wanted to ask and make sure I'm not over looking anything and missing out on something that might be better. Lot of experience and knowledge is available here.

I have a .44 mag Marlin. And have taken several deer with it. But I don't enjoy it as a primary option. Certainly capable.. but not what I want. And I wouldn't want it as a black bear rifle either. At least not where and how I hunt them.

Thanks for the input though.

-Jake
Old 12-26-2019, 11:06 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
No, you're not understanding. But that's ok. You don't seem interested in being here to learn. And I wouldn't want the topic to get off track in order to explain the difference between the .375 Winchester and what I assume you are confusing with the .375 H&H mag. But if you want to: Google .375 Winchester.

-Jake
Pissy, aren't we?
Old 12-26-2019, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

No, I'm not.

I answered your question. You weren't understanding.

I tailored an answer to your preferences. You don't seem interested in having anything explained to you. So I provided you with the ability to find the information yourself.

And I stayed on topic. You, as you said in another post, don't like things to go off topic.

Seems that everything should have been to your liking.

-Jake
Old 12-26-2019, 12:52 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
But that's ok. You don't seem interested in being here to learn. And I wouldn't want the topic to get off track in order to explain the difference between the .375 Winchester and what I assume you are confusing with the .375 H&H mag. But if you want to: Google .375 Winchester.
The answer is fine, it's this latter part that introduces the urinary content.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jake - not that I’m a fan of Winchester 94’s over Marlins, not by a long shot, but I have a Winchester 94 Big Bore on my bench right now with extraction issues, chambered in .375 Winchester.

Given a 99 in .375W in hand, even as much as I love Marlin leverguns, especially 1895’s in 45-70, I’d keep it around with intention of finding the appropriate moments to expose a loved one who might inherit it one day to the old 99 and the old .375 Win (stocking up on a healthy supply of ammo and/or brass to keep them well fed in the future). They just aren’t around to be had - I’d gladly save up for another 1895 in .45-70 though.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:15 PM
Super Moderator

That's a thought no mercy. It isn't hurting anything sitting around. And a Marlin can be found in this area for $500.

I'll think about that.

-Jake
Old 12-26-2019, 01:21 PM
Super Moderator

No mercy

Is there any reason to look at anything other then the 45-70 in that class of rifle? The .450 or .444?

-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.