Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
AK & SKS guys >

AK & SKS guys

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

AK & SKS guys

Old 12-02-2019, 12:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default AK & SKS guys

I am removing mu content as it is causing needless friction.

Synopsis of original content: I do not care for either SKS or AK rifles.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 12-04-2019 at 08:33 AM.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:12 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well my cousin was in the heat of battle in Nam and had been fired on many times by these things hearing the tell tale "getdwn,getdwn" But he has one. His is made in by Century Arms. He also has a couple AR rifles. But unlike you I don't think he feels any remorse about seeing someone shooting one. Actually he likes his a lot. I've shot it and to be honest, its pretty darn accurate. At least out to the 50 yards I was shooting it.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

The SKS has enjoyed a bit of a resurgence due to some price reductions here and there, and there remains to be a small pocket of die-hard AK fanbois, but largely, the last ~10 years has seen an undeniable tipping of the scales in the “AK vs. AR debate” towards the AR, with the SKS only ever playing a distant third place in that discussion, only slightly ahead of the Ruger Mini-14. Importation bans, extremely high prices (after a steep and sudden climb in street price), 922(r) considerations, and frankly, good common sense have pushed the AK’s to the back burner, left behind by the surge in popularity and ownership of the AR-15.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:27 AM
Super Moderator

one factor not being discussed is that theres a world of difference in various AK rifle;s as to the quality and potential accuracy
most surplus AK ammo is crap, mill surplus quality, accuracy was never a huge concern,
if you hand load that can be significantly improved on, speer 150 grain .311 bullets over rl7 powder tends to work ok.
https://www.speer-ammo.com/products/...le-bullet/2217
no one who's done extensive testing will begin to tell you the AR platform does not on average have some advantages,
but not all AK based rifles are hopelessly inaccurate,
military stamped steel receivers , iron sights short sight radius,
and non-chrome lined barrels like the picture above, tend to shoot 2"-5" 100 yard groups

forged receiver versions with chrome-lined barrels like the picture below,
readily accept the 30 round magazines
and 2"-3" 100 yard groups with iron sights are quite common and with a decent scope and mounts
and longer barrels ,1.5":-2" groups are rather the norm, yeah the Norinco trigger sucks, but you can improve it and get used to using it.
it will never beat a bull barrel AR for accuracy, but its certainly a decent 100-150 yard deer rifle if proper ammo is used in skilled hands

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...762x39-mm-m43/

https://loaddata.com/Article/BenchTo...the-762x39/101

https://ultimatereloader.com/2017/04...for-the-ak-47/

http://marvinstuart.com/firearm/Manu...%207.62x39.pdf

https://rifleshooter.com/2017/04/rel...50-gr-bullets/

Last edited by hardcastonly; 12-03-2019 at 07:46 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Content removed to hopefully restore civility.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 12-04-2019 at 08:38 AM. Reason: removed description of users
Old 12-03-2019, 09:40 AM
Fork Horn

So how do you feel about 98 Mausers? How about other rifles from other wars that the US was in?

A tool is just a tool. I am a rifle loony and enjoy shooting all kinds of different rifles. As for sporting purpose no firearm needs a sporting purpose.

PS.. Thank you for your service.

Last edited by bpd1982; 12-03-2019 at 09:43 AM.
Old 12-03-2019, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have no disrespect for people who dislike the "commie" guns because of wartime experience.

But you can get used to them in a big hurry, because the AK's are "good enough for government work".

Yet I'm one of the dying breed of AK/AKM owners here in Maryland, because of the Assault Weapons Ban; but I still cherish the opportunity to own and shoot one.

I do own - among others:

Krebs Custom - KTR03-S - AKM Saiga in 7.62x39

Saiga AK74 in 5.45x39

Romanian PSL in 7.62x54R

Chinese SKS sniper rifle in 7.62x39

Three Russian M91/30's in 7.62x54R...including a 1943 "Izzy" sniper rifle with all matching numbers except for the 3.5x PU scope.

Though I was the culprit in causing 2 AK jams...when I short-stroked the charging handle, which sent a live round into the trigger group.

I also cherish my AR's...but they are not that dependable as compared to my trusty AK's.

It really affected my wallet...when the BATFE banned the sale of Russian of soft steel "armor piercing" corrosive 5.45x39 ammo.

Last edited by Erno86; 12-03-2019 at 12:11 PM. Reason: added a sentence
Old 12-03-2019, 04:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

Big Uncle I believe you are simply basing this thread on your own opinion. And there is nothing wrong with that. But the fact of the matter is that US made and some foreign made copies of the AK style rifles are indeed plenty accurate enough for hunting and have sufficient power for hogs and deer sized game. If you don't like them that's your opinion and I'm OK with that. And what bpd1982 stated, what about the 98 Mauser. How many men in WWII were shot at using that action yet so many of them were brought home here to the US and sporterized.
Walking away from a range just because someone is shooting a rifle that you don't like seems a bit childish to me personally.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I see there are a couple of fellows that do not like my post, or my opinion.

Pulling out such relatively extreme examples as the Mauser is a good ploy, but perhaps it would be more effective to use a more universal examples such as smokeless powder, brass cases, etc. The Mauser is a fine action upon which to build a sporting rifle. I like the Mauser action. I do not care for the full original 98 military firearms. I am under the impression that this is still a site whose primary focus is hunting. Does that answer that question?

Of course I am basing this thread on my opinion. Do what you want to do. The phrase "seems a bit childish" is out of line.
Old 12-04-2019, 07:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
Of course I am basing this thread on my opinion. Do what you want to do. The phrase "seems a bit childish" is out of line.
Not at all out of line. Its like a little kid saying I'm taking my ball and going home. And THAT's my opinion.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.