Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Gotta love the .308 cartridge!! >

Gotta love the .308 cartridge!!

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gotta love the .308 cartridge!!

Old 11-06-2019, 07:17 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by younggun308
I've seen scores of reviews online from muzzleloader and shotgun slug hunters praising the Bushnell Banner's durability (including current models). If and when I get an inline muzzleloader, that's probably the way I'll go.
Maybe mine will find its way onto my .308 if I switch the AR-15 back to a red dot.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

I didn't mean to suggest that Bushnell scopes were bad, but I figure they're probably a "get what you pay for" like the others. Nothing would make me happier than to learn that my $35 Banner gives me that bear-slaying lighted reticle reliably. I'm just very conservative in the field.

Now that I use my .338 Federal almost exclusively for bear, I could probably chance it with my .308 during deer season. If only that NIkon would break
Old 11-06-2019, 07:21 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Nomercy448

I suppose I should have specified - notwithstanding blister pack junk scopes from wally world.

“Gaskets falling out.” - great sounding line, and it made me smile.
Smile all you'd like - I've seen rubber rings fall out of (and into) scopes.
Old 11-06-2019, 10:21 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by ButchA
@Idaholewis

That is incredible shooting!! I am just awestruck at a .308 rifle ringing a gong at 750 yards!
Butch, It’s a lot of fun to do! I have a MUCH better Scope on the Rifle now, This Coming Spring/Summer i plan to get out to 1,000 Yards. The .308 Will do it No problem I will get it on Video

I have had a few guy’s question the 165 Grain Nosler Ballistic Tip Bullets ability/effectiveness at that 750 Yard Range from the Little .308 Win? I Recovered 1 Bullet From that Video above. A side by side comparison of what the Bullet looked like when i Loaded it, and After it Hit The 8 inch Steel Gong at 750 Yards. Quite IMPRESSIVE Really! What was left (the base) Is Smashed Razor Thin

Old 11-28-2019, 08:13 AM
Spike

Never put any money down on a savage bolt action. Often wished I had! I like their slim lines.

New guy here but I had to comment on 308. I love it too.
My last 308 was a 20" barrelled remmie and with h4895 and hornady v max 110grn I got 3150fps
Gotta love the 308w.

SD.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:52 AM
Typical Buck

Butch, the 168 grain BTHP are a target bullet used for shooting paper targets. not really a good hunting bullet. i loaded these in my 300 H&H mag one time and hit a deer 3 times before killing it. the bullets kept blowing up when it hit the hide and ribs. this was at a distance of around 100 yards. first shot hit the deer right behind the front shoulder. the deer side stepped and just stood there. second was the same only the deer started to take off at a slow walk. she went about 100 yards before laying down. came up behind it and hit it in the neck to finish it off. when i skinned the deer it looked like someone sliced the deer with a bunch of razor blades. pulled all those bullets and reloaded with 165 softpoints and never went back. i use the same bullet in my 06.