Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Gotta love the .308 cartridge!! >

Gotta love the .308 cartridge!!

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Gotta love the .308 cartridge!!

Old 11-05-2019, 06:28 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Memtb2149
Cub Slayer, Perhaps he meant “tiny”! memtb
What can I say, I like short actions (no personal innuendo, please!)

I got it when CDNN had a sale. Besides the .338 Federal, they had a .300 WSM which I seriously considered, except that this particular model only held two in the magazine, whereas the .338 Fed held four.

Will I ever go more powerful? Who knows? I don't ever expect to go grizzly hunting, and out east, long range shots don't happen. Never fired a .338 Win Mag, and I'm not sure I ever want to.
Old 11-05-2019, 07:07 AM
Super Moderator

The .338 federal is probably just about perfect for an Eastern bear hunter where shots are more likely to be 30 yards than 300. A 200 grain .33cal bullet at 2600+fps is great bear medicine imo.

I'm not a huge fan of the .308- only because it's so popular. I just like oddball things more. There's no denying the good things the .308 is capable of. Also- the cartridges that have come from the .308 have been a great addition to the hunting world.

The .243 and 7mm-08s have become great options for anybody, but especially for smaller shooters. I would love to have a .260rem but just have no need for it to justify it right now. The .338, 358, although not as popular, certainly do a good job for their intended purpose. I'm sure there's more that I'm not thinking of right now.

But the .308, aside from it's own capabilities, gave us lots of other fun things to play with too!

-Jake
Old 11-05-2019, 07:44 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Cub Slayer
What can I say, I like short actions (no personal innuendo, please!)

I got it when CDNN had a sale. Besides the .338 Federal, they had a .300 WSM which I seriously considered, except that this particular model only held two in the magazine, whereas the .338 Fed held four.

Will I ever go more powerful? Who knows? I don't ever expect to go grizzly hunting, and out east, long range shots don't happen. Never fired a .338 Win Mag, and I'm not sure I ever want to.

Shooting a .338 WM, is an “acquired taste”. ....it took my wife a little over a year to get comfortable with hers! memtb
Old 11-05-2019, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Memtb2149

Shooting a .338 WM, is an “acquired taste”. ....it took my wife a little over a year to get comfortable with hers! memtb
It's also an "acquired cost" as I understand it. I typically see CoreLokts running about $4 each. What do you shoot with your .338 Win Mag?

The .338 Federal is, in my opinion, an almost perfect New England bear cartridge. Big hole, lots of power, respectable range, and tolerable recoil. The only thing the .308 has going for it over the .338 is its popularity.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Size is relative. An Axe is too large of tool to split an atom, but too small to flatten a mountain.

338Fed might be a heavy hitter for a short action cartridge with a standard bolt face, but there are some big boys out there. Have to remember - in traditional cartridge etymology, the 338 Fed is still a “small bore” cartridge.

That 3-9x Banner I mentioned rode atop the 416rem mag on the right, your 338 Fed’s kinsman, a 308win on the left for perspective. It throws almost twice the bullet at the same speed as the 338Fed.

The truth of the matter - most low cost scopes are just as recoil tolerant as higher cost optics. The glass will suck, the adjustments inconsistent and with lash, and the gas seal will often fail - but it’s pretty hard to screw up manufacturing a screw. Expecting a scope to hold zero isn’t asking for much, and even low cost optics typically will - even in the presence of heavy recoil.

Banners were great optics for their price point. Exceptionally bright, but at an exceptionally low price point. They were what all low-budget scopes should be.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:10 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
The truth of the matter - most low cost scopes are just as recoil tolerant as higher cost optics.
This has not been my experience, not only with my own guns but with people I know. I've seen plenty that have lenses move, gaskets fall out, etc. The Banner that I have (which may be different - I think there are lighted and non-lighted "Banner" scopes) looks quite nice and would be satisfactory if tough enough. I'm not sure you can get this one anymore though.
Old 11-05-2019, 10:37 AM
Spike

It's also an "acquired cost" as I understand it. I typically see CoreLokts running about $4 each. What do you shoot with your .338 Win Mag?

The .338 Federal is, in my opinion, an almost perfect New England bear cartridge. Big hole, lots of power, respectable range, and tolerable recoil. The only thing the .308 has going for it over the .338 is its popularity.

My answer is one coming from a hand loader. Except when I was a teenager, collecting brass to reload for my .308 Win.....I’ve never bought factory loaded ammunition (other than handgun defense ammo)!

It’s my wife’s .338 WM! She uses it for everything, from deer/antelope up to moose. If and when we win the lottery....she’ll use it in Africa. We’re running Barnes 225 grain TTSX’s @2950 fps. However, as a handloader, you can load it down to the point of the bullet failing to exit the barrel. It’s one of the most versatile, all around cartridges you can get! Yes, it recoils a bit more than many cartridges.....but, it is “very” effective on game! I don’t think that you’ll struggle with the extra 3/8” or so of action length! memtb
Old 11-05-2019, 10:43 AM
Spike

This has not been my experience, not only with my own guns but with people I know. I've seen plenty that have lenses move, gaskets fall out, etc. The Banner that I have (which may be different - I think there are lighted and non-lighted "Banner" scopes) looks quite nice and would be satisfactory if tough enough. I'm not sure you can get this one anymore though.

Mt experiences are similar to yours, though mine where 37 years ago. I was continually “shaking” apart the Bushnell on my first .375 H&H. When I was finally able to purchase a Leupold....scope failure became non-existent! memtb
Old 11-05-2019, 11:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I suppose I should have specified - notwithstanding blister pack junk scopes from wally world.

“Gaskets falling out.” - great sounding line, and it made me smile.
Old 11-05-2019, 11:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've seen scores of reviews online from muzzleloader and shotgun slug hunters praising the Bushnell Banner's durability (including current models). If and when I get an inline muzzleloader, that's probably the way I'll go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.