Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Choices Between Accuracy , Power And Capacity >

Choices Between Accuracy , Power And Capacity

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Choices Between Accuracy , Power And Capacity

Old 10-23-2019, 04:24 AM
Fork Horn

When picking out a ccw I personally wouldnt require the ability to penetrate a car door.
Old 10-23-2019, 07:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by EShoreMD
When picking out a ccw I personally wouldnt require the ability to penetrate a car door.
Three words "drive-by shooting" in some places it is fairly common.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
Three words "drive-by shooting" in some places it is fairly common.
but what would a drive by have to do with CCW
shoudl we be firing at a moving vehicle, or folks fleeing a scene?
as IF my understanding of most laws, if the threat is LEAVING and you go after or shoot, it can come back to bit you in the butt legally!

and if the folks doing the drive by, are using rounds that DON"T got thru doors, maybes that's a good thing LOL

as for what round will go thru the door or Not, I did a LOT of testing with this yrs back, and it came down to a LOT of things, and not just caliber(yes when you get into BIG bore calibers it matters as they all go thru)

but a solid bullet over a say protection fast expanding bullet are two totally different animals, and then WHAT do they hit in the door, the gear that makes things go up and down or just sheet metal?
I know my 50 BMG' s rounds go thru doors and keep going, and will STOP a running motor pretty fast if it its the right things, !
so that would be my vote for besti in going thru doors too, but impractical for CCW for sure! HAHA!
then again some of the 20 mm rounds I fired over the yrs went thru doors pretty darn good too LOL

and I have seen BOTH 9mm and .357 mag rounds fired at windshields and had them skip off!, some times things happen!, right angles or all the stars are aligned just right r?? what ever, but ut can happen with both calibers as well as others!
Old 10-23-2019, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by mrbb
but what would a drive by have to do with CCW
shoudl we be firing at a moving vehicle, or folks fleeing a scene?
as IF my understanding of most laws, if the threat is LEAVING and you go after or shoot, it can come back to bit you in the butt legally!

and if the folks doing the drive by, are using rounds that DON"T got thru doors, maybes that's a good thing LOL

as for what round will go thru the door or Not, I did a LOT of testing with this yrs back, and it came down to a LOT of things, and not just caliber(yes when you get into BIG bore calibers it matters as they all go thru)

but a solid bullet over a say protection fast expanding bullet are two totally different animals, and then WHAT do they hit in the door, the gear that makes things go up and down or just sheet metal?
I know my 50 BMG' s rounds go thru doors and keep going, and will STOP a running motor pretty fast if it its the right things, !
so that would be my vote for besti in going thru doors too, but impractical for CCW for sure! HAHA!
then again some of the 20 mm rounds I fired over the yrs went thru doors pretty darn good too LOL

and I have seen BOTH 9mm and .357 mag rounds fired at windshields and had them skip off!, some times things happen!, right angles or all the stars are aligned just right r?? what ever, but ut can happen with both calibers as well as others!
Don't get me wrong I like the 9MM, I've only got one .357 I have three 9's. When I suspect trouble I carry two, .357 primary and 9 backup. For hunting, I carry a 44 special. .357 is about as big as I can go and get a second shot off fairly quickly. I prefer the .357 because of the option to shoot at a distance and hit what I'm shooting at.
Old 10-23-2019, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everyone is different in their abilities, circumstances, and preferences. While I'm a fan of both the 9mm and the .45 ACP, I probably prefer the 9mm. Although sometimes I feel its recoil impulse is sharper than the .45, it also feels shorter, and that generally puts me back on target faster. My training has always been to address the threat until it is no longer a threat. If one .45 round is equal to two 9mm rounds, then two it'll be.

That said, I've never paid much attention to what either will do to a car door, particularly when personal experience has shown me on multiple occasions that M855 ball (.5.56mm) often didn't reliably penetrate car windshields or doors. I'd caution anyone who thinks they'll shoot at a moving car door and not have a tough bit of explaining why it or its fleeing occupants were still considered a threat worthy of deadly force? Moving head-on at you? Been there. Number one defense is to step out of the way. Even with a newly-deceased driver at the wheel, an object in motion tends to stay in motion.

I prefer pistols over revolvers, primarily because I'm comfortable enough with a pistol that I don't make bone-headed mistakes with them. Clearing procedures come to mind here. If you're not intimately familiar with the mechanics of a pistol and deliberate or disciplined enough to clear one correctly every single time, get a revolver. Or a dog. Whatever you choose, practice with it. Get comfortable with it. Then find yourself a good holster (try a few), do everything you can to learn to carry it responsibly, and hope that you never have to use it.