Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Old Savage

Old 10-15-2019, 01:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Old Savage

For whitetail deer this year I am planning to use an old Salvage rifle that a relative once owned. It is a 325 C bolt rifle chambered in 30-30 sporting iron sights and a five pound trigger. This rifle was made in 1949 and sold for about $39 then. For an inexpensive (and cheaply made) rifle designed to sell to returning GI's on a budget it does not shoot too badly. It is time to put the hunt back into hunting, and I am getting excited for the challenges ahead.

It is rumored that the 325 series was produced using surplus machine gun barrel blanks. It has the expected stamped metal parts, barrel nut, Rube Goldberg bolt, and chunky beech wood stock. It has no engraving or gold inlays and I doubt it will be confused with a Rigby by most knowledgeable shooters. I would post a photo but I do not want to show off or make anyone jealous.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

I bet it looks a lot like this

That'll be fun to hunt with.
Old 10-15-2019, 03:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

I bet it looks like this. That will be fun to hunt with.
Old 10-15-2019, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

I watched an inexperienced and uneducated female Hunter drop a running doe with one of those at about 200 paces about ten years ago.

A shot she never should have taken, let alone made.

Hope your hunt is equally successful, without needing the luck I'm certain played a role in her shot.

-Jake
Old 10-16-2019, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

The fellow in the video had a more modern rifle (340 series) than mine (325 series) but they look very much alike. I wish mine had the peep sight and am casually looking for one of the original factory peeps.

As for luck - I will take all I can get.
Old 10-18-2019, 02:57 PM
Typical Buck

if you reload id load some spirel points and hunt with them since that rifle isnt a tube magazine.