Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
At last - Finally >

At last - Finally

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

At last - Finally

Old 10-02-2019, 07:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default At last - Finally

I guess the Model 70 has found a home. I switched scopes taking off the Leupold and putting on a Tasco 4-16X that has proven itself on my .223.
I then shot groups using IMR4350, H4350 and MagPro using the initial 60.3 gr of IMR4350 as my baseline I selected charges in the midrange of the other two powders (that's about where the IMR charge fell).
After all was said and done the IMR4350 was the worse group at about 1.25". The H4350 a bit better at 1.1" and the MagPro right at 1". Note all this shooting was done WITHOUT my glasses. I left them at home..grrrr. So I more than likely could have shot even better.
So I guess my bedding job helped. But it appears that the Leupold scope seems to be roaming slightly. Possibly a spring hanging up or a tiny bit of foreign material inside the scope or something loose internally. Don't know for sure.
I do know that I am finally happy with this rifle.
Old 10-02-2019, 08:11 AM
Super Moderator

How old is your Leupold scope? I have an 1990's VX-2 that seems to wander a bit also.
Old 10-02-2019, 12:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by CalHunter
How old is your Leupold scope? I have an 1990's VX-2 that seems to wander a bit also.
Brand new...Just got it about 4 months ago.
Old 10-02-2019, 01:05 PM
Super Moderator

I would send it back for warranty. They have a lifetime warranty and are highly spoken of by people who had to use their warranty.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by CalHunter
I would send it back for warranty. They have a lifetime warranty and are highly spoken of by people who had to use their warranty.
Going to send them an email asking them just that. I'll let you know how everything turns out.
Old 10-02-2019, 04:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I used to be a authorized leupold dealer,as well as a bunch of other brand scopes/optic's
and I will honestly tell you, leupolds were least sent back issue scopes I sold,
THEY all had some bad one's but they were the least on failures when I sold optics and scopes, and always had very good customer service, but do know things have changed a few times since I was in busines!

BAD anythings can slip out the door of any name brand, I sent back scopes costing a few grand and one's that cost just a few bucks, and of all name brands over the yrs

I am sure Leupold will make it right for you!, or they always did when I sent any back!

Other wise, sounds like your a pretty happy guy with a new toy to shoot LOL
Glad its shooting and working out as well as it sounds for you!
need to post some pic's though!
Old 10-02-2019, 08:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

MRBB I posted pics of the rifle on previous threads but again just for you!! I got this rifle because of the stock. Gorgeous wood grain in the butt stock. I still have a bit of playing around to do with the loads to see if I can tweak it a bit more. I found out one thing with controlled round feed. You can't baby it. I've learned to carry a cleaning rod with me to the range. Sometimes I forget to put the round into the magazine and try to just lay it in and chamber it.
I know I can get the bolt modified but not sure if I want to.
Attached Thumbnails At last - Finally-full-pic-copy.jpg   At last - Finally-butt-left.jpg   At last - Finally-butt-right.jpg  
Old 10-03-2019, 08:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
MRBB I posted pics of the rifle on previous threads but again just for you!! I got this rifle because of the stock. Gorgeous wood grain in the butt stock. I still have a bit of playing around to do with the loads to see if I can tweak it a bit more. I found out one thing with controlled round feed. You can't baby it. I've learned to carry a cleaning rod with me to the range. Sometimes I forget to put the round into the magazine and try to just lay it in and chamber it.
I know I can get the bolt modified but not sure if I want to.
yes I know you posted pic's in other tread on gun
But hey, who doesn;t like more pic's, I'm sure others feel this way!

or showing gun at the range, what kind of rest you use, targets and so on
so, adding some pic's isn;'t just for me I am sure LOL
I also take a lot of things with me to the range, over the yrs sen a lot happen there and not much fun to travel at times to a shoot to find out you need something simple but its at home !