Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Precision Rifle Competition Teaser (pic heavy) >

Precision Rifle Competition Teaser (pic heavy)

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Precision Rifle Competition Teaser (pic heavy)

Old 09-15-2019, 02:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Olde NE Hunter
Are spectators allowed at any of these events (dang, question mark key isn't working) I did a little internet research and found three shoots in Nebraska within a days drive of where I live. Not real close but close enough. I have neither desired nor equipment to compete but I wouldn't mind watching.
Absolutely, spectators are welcome.

However, you WILL be told, by any match director and any competitor, “bring a rifle, whatever you have, and come try it.” Many clubs and ranges have loaner rifles, the National Rifle League even has a pair of loaner rifles for all of their matches, and many shooters do have spare/backup/multiple rifles on which an interested newbie could try a match.

Spectatorship isn’t facilitated; there aren’t bleachers and popcorn stands. But matches generally have no issue with either a non-shooting spectator tagging along with a squad, or responsibly self-managed spectator walking among stages themselves. Just keep yourself out of the line of fire.

I’d recommend bringing a lawn-chair, a tripod, and a set of binoculars. Maybe a sun umbrella, or at least sunscreen. The targets are far, and there’s not much to see with the naked eye, so you’ll want a means to see the action downrange. Most guys do bring their own spotting set up, so there’s almost always an open set of binos or spotting scope to look through, but having your own will let you own your own destiny to see what you want, when you want. Getting set up to watch in a lawn chair with your own 12x binos on a tripod would make a sweet day of spectating.

Bring water. And comfortable shoes. We’re pretty exposed out there in the sun, so sunscreen and water are good. We also tend to do quite a bit of walking between all of the stages, not uncommon to cover a couple miles hiking back and forth between stages. These aren’t typical square ranges with a clubhouse a few yards from the firing line, most are cattle pastures with very minimal facilities. I’m not sure I’ve been to a match with regular bathroom facilities - only porta-johns, and now that I think of it, I’m not even sure where they were or whether there have been bathroom facilities at all of the matches I have shot. “Improvised field facilities” for “standing events” are pretty common, and I’m conscious to avoid the need for “seated thinking” while at matches. Some matches are set up such shooters and spectators can drive between stages, either in a truck/SUV, or UTV, some are largely foot traffic only.