HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   DIY Camo Stock (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/421706-diy-camo-stock.html)

bronko22000 09-07-2019 02:27 PM

DIY Camo Stock

1 Attachment(s)
I wanted to camo my synthetic stocks so I thought I'd try it out on my Savage 93-17. I think it came out pretty cool. Better than that blah plain black stock.

hardcastonly 09-07-2019 03:09 PM

have you ever considered ty-dyeing support socks,
the support hose look similar to this before being stretched over the stock on the rifle,
the object is having a dull, non-reflective and muted outer cover protecting that rifle stock while you hunt
this if done correctly can cover barrel, stock and optics completely eliminating most reflective surfaces
and reducing the potential for scratching the rifle
a couple tye dye socks and rubber bands can do a great deal

bronko22000 09-07-2019 03:32 PM

No I don't think I'd do that. I could have done the same thing to the metal as I did to the stock. I just wanted the stock different than plain black. And don't you know, camo stocks are all the rage now..LOL
I did spray a couple final coats of clear, matte finish "paint" over the entire stock.

Bocajnala 09-07-2019 04:37 PM

I've done several cheapy .22s and Savage and Stevens synthetics, a muzzle loader and a Mossberg 695 as well. Several people have seen them and had me do their stocks as well.

Not in camo. But in this stone finish, then sanded, repainted, and clear coated.

They've held up well, are cheap to do, look and feel better than a plain synthetic.

This is the wife's .270

bronko22000 09-07-2019 04:58 PM

That looks sharp too Jake. I was looking at that paint when I was down there. My job cost me about $15 with enough paint left over to do about 10 more stocks easily.

edmehlig 09-15-2019 10:12 AM

Where did you get the paint and can you outline your process?

bronko22000 09-18-2019 06:10 PM

Ed the paint is Rustoleum Camo paint in tan, light green and earth brown. Pattern was made by using a natural sponge. The sponge can be found in the craft section in Walmart in a mesh bag with about 6 pieces. Here are the steps the way I did it (following a video by another person on YouTube):
Remove the stock and any hardware you don't want painted and remove all oil and grease. You can use 91% alcohol or a gun scrubber (if using the latter check an inconspicuous area to make sur it doesn't damage the stock)
Lightly sand the entire stock where you're going to paint to roughen it up. Mask any areas you don't want painted.
Spray the entire surface with the light brown/tan paint. Use light coats and do not over spray or you will get a frosted appearance (read the directions on the can). Hang and let dry.
Next take the earth brown paint and spray onto a piece of cardboard to form a puddle. Then take a piece of the natural sponge and dip it lightly into the puddle. Dab the cardboard until you find a pattern you like from the sponge. Start dabbing the stock however you like. I prefer a random pattern as it appears more natural. Don't worry about doing too much. You can always cover it up with the green.
Once the brown is dry you can do the same thing with the green.
Give the stock and entire day to dry then spray it with some clear matte finish polyurethane. As many coats as you prefer.
Note: This camo will give the stock a rough, almost sandpaper like, feel. At least mine did.

bronko22000 09-23-2019 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4361407)
Ed the paint is Rustoleum Camo paint in tan, light green and earth brown. Pattern was made by using a natural sponge. The sponge can be found in the craft section in Walmart in a mesh bag with about 6 pieces. Here are the steps the way I did it (following a video by another person on YouTube):
Remove the stock and any hardware you don't want painted and remove all oil and grease. You can use 91% alcohol or a gun scrubber (if using the latter check an inconspicuous area to make sur it doesn't damage the stock)
Lightly sand the entire stock where you're going to paint to roughen it up. Mask any areas you don't want painted.
Spray the entire surface with the light brown/tan paint. Use light coats and do not over spray or you will get a frosted appearance (read the directions on the can). Hang and let dry.
Next take the earth brown paint and spray onto a piece of cardboard to form a puddle. Then take a piece of the natural sponge and dip it lightly into the puddle. Dab the cardboard until you find a pattern you like from the sponge. Start dabbing the stock however you like. I prefer a random pattern as it appears more natural. Don't worry about doing too much. You can always cover it up with the green.
Once the brown is dry you can do the same thing with the green.
Give the stock and entire day to dry then spray it with some clear matte finish polyurethane. As many coats as you prefer.
Note: This camo will give the stock a rough, almost sandpaper like, feel. At least mine did.

Note: This camo will give the stock a rough, almost sandpaper like, feel. At least mine did. I believe you could probably sand it to a smooth finish

Valorius 10-05-2019 02:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I just use camouflage Coban medical wrap. You can get it for like $1 a roll on ebay.