Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
If you had to start all over ... >

If you had to start all over ...

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

If you had to start all over ...

Old 10-25-2019, 12:29 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Vapodog
Real simple:
a Browning 20 Ga over'under ultralight (for defense, small game, and upland game)
A 6mm Remington (or .243) in either a Rem 700 or M-70 Winchester (varmints and smaller big game)
An M-70 Winchester in .30-06 (big game)
A bolt action CZ in .22 LR

There would be a lot more I would want but these will take care of anything that needs to taken care of for now.
Excellent taste!!
Old 11-01-2019, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

Defense: For concealed carry, probably a Sig P365. Home defense, A Walther P99.
Big Game: Browning X-Bolt Hell's Canyon Speed in .308 Win topped with a Vortex Strike Eagle 3 3x-18x scope. Or a Savage Model 16 in .338 Federal.
Small Game: I don't do, but probably a Ruger 10/22. If bigger "small game", then a Savage Model 11 in .243 Winchester.
Varmints: Ruger 10/22.

Bonus Answers: Birds: Remington or Mossberg pump action 12 gauge.
Hunting Backup: Ruger Super Redhawk in .44 magnum.

I don't do black powder or competition.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:15 PM
Spike

This is my list as a dedicated hand loader!

#1- Ruger Mark Series .22 RF semi-auto ( small game, personal defense)
#2- Ruger 77/22 SS, 22 RF
#3- S&W X Frame 460 Good for big game out to 125/150 yards, and 410 equivalent shotshells ( small game, varmints at close range). Can be hand loaded with light bullets @ low velocity for plinking, self defense (human), and small game
#4- A large case capacity rifle cartridge, .358 diameter bullet or larger. With cast bullets can be used for small game up to “small” big game, or with jacketed or mono bullets capable of high velocities and flat trajectories. Summary: I’ll choose my .375 AI!
#5- Any good pump action 12 gauge shotgun, with multiple chokes and barrel not to exceed 26” (small game, waterfowl, defense)

memtb
Old 12-13-2019, 10:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

HK P7
Ruger LCP
12 gauge Semi
AR15 in 5.56mm
and an AR15 in 22LR

Same as I have now. I have these guns for a reason.
Old 12-14-2019, 05:33 AM
Fork Horn

All of my hunting rifles are Savage. They're good, but I bought them at a time when I wasn't sure I would continue hunting (=low cost), and also didn't know what made a good "hunting rifle".

The biggest single regret I have about these is not that they're Savage rifles, but that they're not stainless. Forced to re-arm, I would undoubtedly get at least one X-Bolt, but I'd be satisfied with Savage as long as they were stainless (i.e. Model 16s instead of Model 11s). Except perhaps my .22 plinker, I would not buy another blued rifle. I've struggled with rust prevention in the field too much. If the Savage Bear Hunter didn't have that asinine base plate, I'd grab one in .338 Federal tomorrow.
Old 12-14-2019, 09:36 AM
Super Moderator

What's wrong with it? Ugly engraving or something on it?

-Jake
Old 12-15-2019, 04:08 AM
Fork Horn

The baseplate? No, I kinda think the bear pawprint is cool. I just prefer magazines. To be fair though, Savage magazines are one of the weakest aspects of Savage rifles (X-bolt magazines are much nicer), so replacing the Savage magazine with a baseplate is not as much of a sin as it would be on other rifles.

Also, a gun store near me has two Bear Hunters, and one of them has a broken baseplate latch. Not something I'd want to see fail while hunting bears.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Cub Slayer
The baseplate?
When you say "baseplate," I'm thinking you have a mortar. Do you mean "floorplate"?

I have every game animal in the world covered, times at least two in most cases. As well, I own at least one of most makes, and there are things I like and dislike about all of them. But for starters:

Small Game/Plinking: Everyone should have a .22 LR. I like the BL-22, but also fond of a nice, hand-me-down heirloom Winchester M61A

Varmints: Tough between .22-250 and .223, but over the years, I've found the .223 far more versatile. Not too much, not too little. I like MSRs, but I think my favorite .223 is a CZ 527 Varmint Laminated

Deer/Antelope: .243, hands-down. I've a few to choose from, but I think my favorite is a Ruger No 1-B

Deer/Elk/Moose: This is a hard one. Where I'm just hunting elk and moose, a .30-06 is fine and not overkill for deer. Where other critters might hunt back, I'm more prone to carry a .300 Magnum or .338 Win. This might be a place where I'd have to pick two, likely the .30-06 and the .338. Most of my bolt guns are M700s. I'm not a big fan of the Brownings here, I do like something with a different extractor setup (i.e. Howa/Weatherby, Bergara,...), but If I had to pick, I'd stay with M700s. They've always done me well. I'm not a huge fan of synthetics, nor of stainless. Maybe just my sense of aesthetics?

Bigger stuff: 375 H&H. Probably another M700 or possibly a CRF M70.

Birds: When I hunted geese, I preferred the Browning BPS. Now that most of my bird hunting is upland, a Beretta O/U, 12 ga.

Defensive: Classified.
Old 12-16-2019, 02:48 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by homers brother
When you say "baseplate," I'm thinking you have a mortar. Do you mean "floorplate"?
My apologies. The Pedantic Grammar Nazi thread is in a different section.
Old 12-16-2019, 03:26 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Cub Slayer
My apologies. The Pedantic Grammar Nazi thread is in a different section.
Preaching your devotion to the scientific method in one thread and saying details don't matter in another

There's nothing wrong with being correct.

-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.