Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
If you had to start all over ... >

If you had to start all over ...

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

If you had to start all over ...

Old 09-03-2019, 04:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
You really like those tikkas bronk.-Jake
You bet I do. What's not to like? Good looking, a really decent trigger, accurate as all get out and the slickest action I've ever handled.
And the price is very reasonable. You ought to try one out one of these day at a gun shot near you!!!
Old 09-04-2019, 05:17 AM
Fork Horn

Defense......Glock 19
Big game.....Savage 300 Win mag
Small game.....Savage 17hmr
Varmints.....Dpms Oracle 223
Competition.....Guess it depends on the competition
blackpowder......Savage ML2
Anything additional that you need....870 12g
Old 09-04-2019, 04:43 PM
Typical Buck

I'd be one unhappy camper. Most of my guns are customs, tuned to my preferences, or inherited from two or three generations back. That said:

Defense: 9mm Glock or Kimber, depending on my insurance payout
Big game/Varmints (Coyotes): T/C Encore pistol w/ 15" 270 Winchester or 7mm-08 Remington barrel
Small game: Ruger MK IV 22 pistol
Blackpowder: Try to find a CVA Optima pistol, but more likely a T/C Encore w/ rifle length muzzleloader barrel or T/C Pro Hunter FX
Anything additional: Mossberg 835
Old 09-05-2019, 09:00 AM
Spike

excelent info, thanks!
Old 09-06-2019, 01:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

If I had to start over quickly, in the absence of custom firearms, I wouldn't. It's taken many years to accumulate what I have, so while I might know exactly what I want, very little of it could be found on a shelf.

Defense - SigSauer P365 9mm & Silencer Co Maxim 9mm
Big game - Ruger Super Redhawk Toklat 454 Casull & Ruger M77 Hawkeye All-Weather 300win mag
Small game - Ruger Mark IV Competition & Marlin Model 60SS
Varmints - Build another custom AR-15, most likely in 243 LBC with a spare 5.56 upper
Competition - Can't buy a viable competition set up from a shelf. I'd buy an MPA production class rifle until I could build another Defiance or Impact
blackpowder - Not a thing for me any more.

My insurance rider for my firearms isn't written in a way such I'd have to replace the gold I have with tin. Protect your firearms properly and you won't be stuck compromising with sub-par stuff if anything ever happened.
Old 09-06-2019, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

Hmmm, For an effective quick fill to satisfy my very most basic firearm needs? Tough to do, because I am so damn fussy, few new bought guns would do it...so if I wasn't looking to replace the exact firearm, but just useable most frequently used guns that I consider indispensable:
Handgun....Ruger Blackhawk 5" bbl .357, Smith and Wesson model 36 .38 snubbie.: Carry, packing, home defence.
Older manufacture Marlin model 39 .22, plinking, small game, but a stainless synthetic stocked Marlin model 60 would do.
Ithaca model 37 with variable choke raised rib 12 gauge, interchangeable slug bbl small game, wildfowl, potential deer, but I haven't really actively hunted with a shotgun in decades.
Thompson Center inline with 4 x leupold scope, deer, but there are many decent inlines to pick from nowadays.
Winchester Classic model 70 featherweight in .308 main go to deer rifle. This is only a "settle for" as I could never replace my 8o year old 8mm Oberndorf Mauser that I have built up over thirty years or my Browning falling block 45-70.
Old 10-22-2019, 10:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Real simple:
a Browning 20 Ga over'under ultralight (for defense, small game, and upland game)
A 6mm Remington (or .243) in either a Rem 700 or M-70 Winchester (varmints and smaller big game)
An M-70 Winchester in .30-06 (big game)
A bolt action CZ in .22 LR

There would be a lot more I would want but these will take care of anything that needs to taken care of for now.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

Good list va. Simple, quality, but covers your needs. And can be bought over the counter pretty easily.

-Jake
Old 10-25-2019, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Let's pretend you come home one morning and the gun safe door is hanging wide open. Everything is gone.

​​​​​​Now lets pretend that for some odd reason you have to replace your belongings in a couple of days and still be prepared to hunt/shoot like you normally do. That will rule out custom jobs and oddball options.

We can even break it down into a few categories that you may need to cover. Of course one gun may cover several of these areas.

Defense
Big game
Small game
Varmints
Competition
blackpowder
Anything additional that you need

​​What are you buying, at a minimum, to get yourself back up and running?

No "wrong" answers here. Just what you would personally grab if you had to restart quickly.

-Jake
Defense: Rock Island .45 1911
Big game: Ruger M77, any caliber
Small game: 1st dbl barrel I can find in 12 or 20
Varmints: I don't hunt them except by chance
Competition: NA
blackpowder: NA

I could conceivably get this all at the local Ace Hardware store in town.
Or the Business supply store across town. In under an Hour.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:09 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by sconnyhunter
Defense: Rock Island .45 1911
Big game: Ruger M77, any caliber
Small game: 1st dbl barrel I can find in 12 or 20
Varmints: I don't hunt them except by chance
Competition: NA
blackpowder: NA

I could conceivably get this all at the local Ace Hardware store in town.
Or the Business supply store across town. In under an Hour.
It's good to have shops like that close. Always sad to see when the small shops shut down.

-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.