Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Needing advice on new gun not grouping >

Needing advice on new gun not grouping

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Needing advice on new gun not grouping

Old 08-26-2019, 11:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

If this is your first rifle, you would be better served to shoot at closer distances like 50 to 100 yards and become competent there before you jump into long range shooting. You have to learn to walk before you run.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't want to waste a lot of electrons here, as most of what needs to be said here already has been.

While it's always easy to blame equipment, most of us tend to be too proud to admit that our own skill is often the prime culprit. My own biggest demon was not mounting the rifle the same way with every shot (fortunately, the Army trained that out of me with what we called the "8 steady hold factors." Did wonders for my group sizes and shooting consistency. Even from a rest, it won't matter if your point of aim is different from shot-to-shot.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:47 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Huntingislife08

I am not reloading, those are all all factory loads. I will do more research on the OCW method. Thanks for your time
You cannot do that with factory ammo. Its impossible. Go with what Nomercy has stated. I especially like shooting at diamonds in lieu of circles. Evan bigger ones. None of us here know your shooting ability and to put it bluntly the 300WM has more than moderate recoil. Are you flinching, even slightly? You should take a buddy with you and have him load or not load the rifle behind you. Does the reticle move when the pin drops on an empty chamber? If so, that's your problem not the rifle or the ammo. I'm not being critical just throwing stuff out there that I've seen in the past.
Old 08-27-2019, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
You cannot do that with factory ammo. Its impossible. Go with what Nomercy has stated. I especially like shooting at diamonds in lieu of circles. Evan bigger ones. None of us here know your shooting ability and to put it bluntly the 300WM has more than moderate recoil. Are you flinching, even slightly? You should take a buddy with you and have him load or not load the rifle behind you. Does the reticle move when the pin drops on an empty chamber? If so, that's your problem not the rifle or the ammo. I'm not being critical just throwing stuff out there that I've seen in the past.
if your shooting alone and want to see what your doing you can also video yourself shooting and , you'd be surprised what you can learn watching yourself shoot !
Old 08-27-2019, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lots of great advice above.

My $0.02.....Practice shooting form with a shoulder friendly caliber. .223, .22-250. Heck, even a 30.06. A 300 Win. Mag. is no joy to shoot off of a bench. Thus, it can quickly impart shooter error due to recoil.

Also, if you grip the forend differently between shots, you will see different impact locations. Or, grip it once and not grip the next time. You are affecting barrel harmonics differently each shot.

Consistently shooting a 1/2" group at 100 yards with factory rifle and factory ammunition is wonderful.