Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Its tough being a southpaw >

Its tough being a southpaw

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Its tough being a southpaw

Old 08-02-2019, 04:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Its tough being a southpaw

Especially when you like shooting in this right hand world. True there are a lot more choices today then way back when I started. Then the only LH rifles available were from Savage or Weatherby and I sure couldn't afford a Weatherby! I have a hankering to get into long range shooting but not the funds for a custom long range rifle. I had my heart set on a Tikka T3X CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor in left hand. Two local shops said they couldn't find one anywhere. I sent an email to Beretta and found out that that rifle is not available in the US! Same as years ago when I wanted a Tikka T3 in .338 Federal! So doing some searching and checking reviews I just placed an order for a Begara B-14 HMR in 6.5 CM and left hand.
I'll likely be installing a Zeiss 4-14x scope on it because that's what I have laying around still NIB. Another thing I've been reading is to get the most out of a rifle of this "caliber" you should use match grade dies. So that will be next on the agenda.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree left handed shooters are at a disadvantage , just not a ton of things to pick from as a righty!
BUT I honestly don't think having a long range rilfe built is that costly over a brand new one like you listed
a used left handed rem 700 rifles , yes harder to find, but not impossible
brand new one's can be had for under 600 bucks
https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...ft+Hand+30-06+
brand new trued rem actions for about the same,
http://northlandshooterssupply.com/actions/remington/

then you can MAKE the gun you really want, there are SO many options today , from barrels from HIGH $$$ to just GOOD valued one's
stocks are maybe a little harder in left handed, BUT if your truly looking to get into LONG range rifles, a TON of shooters, RIGHT handed shooters use lefft handed actions, so you would be vise versa and have more options using the right sided one's LOL
triggers again, tons of good one's and NOT bashing a factory Rem trigger, with some massaging, they can be pretty nice!
I have several high end long range custom rifles that still wear factory triggers and shot very very well with em!

Heck I would imagine take off 700 barrels are out there in like new condition, due to all the craze in some calibers these days and marketing of them, making fools buy things out of want more than need or use!

you also DON"T need to pay super high end gun smiths to make you a rifle that shoots well either!
LOTS of guys trying to get a foot in the door these days that build some great rifles for a decent price!

NOW< as for the rifle your thinking about, that too sure seems like a great rifle, I posted the above to just show there are other options
Old 08-03-2019, 08:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Have just bought a gun and built it like I wanted for the last 25 years, expensive but ya get what ya want.
RR
Old 08-03-2019, 12:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Guys, The Begara was my 2nd choice. I wanted the Tikka. My standard T3 Lite in 30-06 is a solid MOA shooting rifle. But all the reviews I read and the videos I watched on the Begara shows that its a real shooter. I'm not looking to get into any competition or I probably would go the custom route. I just want to plink and shoot steel way out yonder or maybe bust a few chucks in the summer.
I live in the PA coal region and we have some pretty long strip mine pits. Just ranging and picking off odd colored rocks at varying distances to me would be a blast. But when it comes to hunting there ain't nothing like getting up close and personal with the game.
Old 08-03-2019, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I again think the rifle your getting is a great rifle
however it is close to a grand, pending where your getting it form!
and I am pretty sure one can BUILD a rifle for darn close to that, or I know I have built many over the yrs for less, a lot depends on how crazy you want the build to go and who you have build it! and as always the parts you wish to use !

but I am sure one can BUILD a custom rifle for not much more than what your paying.
a lot of folks don't really realize what things can be done for, if you do a lot of the leg work and find your parts and a GOOD smith, and not just one that has marketing about there name!
a lot of hype on big name guns, that don;t shoot any better than many built by lesser known smiths
Been to a LOT of 1,000 yard matches and seen this first hand, and also why I know as many builders as I do now!
as I said, make the effort to learn and meet folks and be surprised what one can get done on a budget!
Old 08-03-2019, 05:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks mrbb...that's good info to know but this will probably be the last rifle I'll buy (MAYBE)! My next, should I ever buy another, will be a long range muzzleloader like the Knight Mountaineer.
Old 08-03-2019, 07:17 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Thanks mrbb...that's good info to know but this will probably be the last rifle I'll buy (MAYBE)! My next, should I ever buy another, will be a long range muzzleloader like the Knight Mountaineer.
I don't believe that anymore than your wife would!

For what you get with the b14 it would be really hard to build a similar rifle for that price. Now granted, you're not getting the specific options that a custom would provide you....

But I think you're going to be more than happy with the purchase. And I think for your needs it should do great.

You can see a long way on some of those power line cuts up at your camp.

-Jake
Old 08-04-2019, 06:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

HAHA< I agree, I cannot tyell you how many of my customers told me that the "X" they were buying was there LAST gun there adding to there collections
EVERYONE of them sooner or later bough again, many almost the next day when someone would trade something in they ALWAYS wanted ! LOL
and was a good thing too, as well, selling guns helped pay my bills, if they all stopped I would have closed shop a lot sooner HAHA!

and I agree the rifle you got will be a great rifle,
Old 08-04-2019, 08:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Especially when you like shooting in this right hand world. True there are a lot more choices today then way back when I started. Then the only LH rifles available were from Savage or Weatherby and I sure couldn't afford a Weatherby! I have a hankering to get into long range shooting but not the funds for a custom long range rifle. I had my heart set on a Tikka T3X CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor in left hand. Two local shops said they couldn't find one anywhere. I sent an email to Beretta and found out that that rifle is not available in the US! Same as years ago when I wanted a Tikka T3 in .338 Federal! So doing some searching and checking reviews I just placed an order for a Begara B-14 HMR in 6.5 CM and left hand.
I'll likely be installing a Zeiss 4-14x scope on it because that's what I have laying around still NIB. Another thing I've been reading is to get the most out of a rifle of this "caliber" you should use match grade dies. So that will be next on the agenda.

When I was teaching handgun and police shotgun shooting I always called the southpaws "wrong handed shooters, Teaching right handed shooters just comes naturally, teach them to do what you do. with left handers you haave to think about what you say and you have to teach the same thing such as reloading a revolver twice, once for right and again for left handers. for example, to combat reload a revolver you push the cylinder release with your thumb, thenturn the gun barrel side up while you push the cylinder out with your thumb and give a hard downward shake while you are reaching for your speed loader, turn the gun barrel side down and stick the ammo in the proper cylinder holes with the speed loader, drop the speed loader, close the cylinder and come on target. That takes seconds. Now think about how a left hander has to do it. At least with the shotguns you can have the safety reversed. My grandson is a south paw, I had no left handed rifles when I taught him to shoot so I borrowed my dads mod 336 30-30 from my brother after we got done on the right handed bolt ,22 rifles. After I was sure he was going to continue to hunt I bought him a left handed .243 bolt action.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 08-04-2019 at 08:35 AM.
Old 08-04-2019, 10:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Oldtimr - You're right, revolvers are tough on a lefty to do a combat reload. I do the same thing you describe except my first motion is to transfer the revolver to my right hand. With pistols right handers eject the magazine with their shooting hand thumb. But even with today's ambidesterous safeties and mag and slide releases I still prefer to eject the mag with my index finger. My M&P has a unique feature that when the slide locks open after the last shot, if I slap a new full mag in, the slide will release placing the pistol in battery.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.