Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Its tough being a southpaw >

Its tough being a southpaw

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Its tough being a southpaw

Old 08-11-2019, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by carrymart
How much does it cost?
However much ya wanna put into it, 2 grand would be a starting point. build specs on my current project (338 edge long range rifle)
Donor action from a Remington 700 LH 7mm RM 450.00
barrel Broughton 5c 9.3 twist, 31" fluted stainless 440.00
chambering, fitting, accurizing, brake. 815.00
scope, 5.5x22 night force NXS. 1670.00
base and rings 160.00
don't have a price yet on the MKM bullpup aluminum chassis, which will not be available till jan. 2020.
RR
Old 08-11-2019, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by carrymart
How much does it cost?
building a rifle can be done for about a grand, if you shop and don't get too caught up in WANTS over needs! and have a donor action and or stock already!

but the sky is the limit
a lot does have to do with what parts and who builds it for you,
thus using some smaller lesser known smiths that stiol make good products just don't want the fame,
and having a donor action can sure save you a LOT of money right off the bat, many smiths with high rep's cost a LOT just for there name , even before they do a single thing !

new trued rem actions can be had for about 500 bucks, a good barrel can be had for about the same, so can a stock, and many OEM triggers can be made pretty darn good saving you some extra cash!

but you can for sure go wild and run the build up to some scary price tags if you want too LOL
Old 10-05-2019, 02:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Especially when you like shooting in this right hand world. True there are a lot more choices today then way back when I started. Then the only LH rifles available were from Savage or Weatherby and I sure couldn't afford a Weatherby! I have a hankering to get into long range shooting but not the funds for a custom long range rifle. I had my heart set on a Tikka T3X CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor in left hand. Two local shops said they couldn't find one anywhere. I sent an email to Beretta and found out that that rifle is not available in the US! Same as years ago when I wanted a Tikka T3 in .338 Federal! So doing some searching and checking reviews I just placed an order for a Begara B-14 HMR in 6.5 CM and left hand.
I'll likely be installing a Zeiss 4-14x scope on it because that's what I have laying around still NIB. Another thing I've been reading is to get the most out of a rifle of this "caliber" you should use match grade dies. So that will be next on the agenda.
Build an AR precision rifle. They can be made completely ambidextrous.
Old 10-23-2019, 08:28 PM
Spike

I am very comfortable shooting a right bolt/right port rifle left-handed.
I am also comfortable shooting it right handed too.
The B-14's usually shoot good. Kind of depends if you get the luck of the draw with the barrel, which is to be expected with a factory rig.

Bronko,
What are your goals and or aspirations for this Creed?
Competing, goofing on steel at distance, PRS type matches, hunting, or a combination of several of these things?
Old 10-24-2019, 04:24 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Ernie Bishop
I am very comfortable shooting a right bolt/right port rifle left-handed.
I am also comfortable shooting it right handed too.
The B-14's usually shoot good. Kind of depends if you get the luck of the draw with the barrel, which is to be expected with a factory rig.

Bronko,
What are your goals and or aspirations for this Creed?
Competing, goofing on steel at distance, PRS type matches, hunting, or a combination of several of these things?
Like you I've shot many a RH rifle left handed and took a few deer right handed too when they snuck in on the "wrong side". As for my B-14 I got an itch to shoot at far off targets just for fun. I've been in the competition game back in the 80s and it gets to be too much like work than fun. This is strictly for my own pleasure and satisfaction. I love shooting rifles that can shoot itty bitty groups at long distances.