Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Model 70 needs a bit of work >

Model 70 needs a bit of work

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Model 70 needs a bit of work

Old 07-24-2019, 09:44 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Model 70 needs a bit of work

I finally got to shoot my Win model 70 in 270 WSM today. I had loaded up a few different loads with IMR7828 and MagPro powders and Barnes TSX and Nosler BT 140 gr bullets. It only took me two shots to get the scope close enough for load development work. The rifle is a joy to shoot. I was surprised how little the recoil is. Much less than my '06 Tikka and I think even less than my Rem 700 270 Win!
But that's were the good news ends. The best group I could get this outing was 1 1/2" at 100 yards (worse about 2 1/2"). That will never do for a long range rifle. I was shooting 3 rifles today so I would only shoot 3 shot at a time then move on to one of the other rifles. Funny thing was that the first shot was right there then the next 2 went right. I took a dollar bill out of my wallet and tried to slide it between the stock and barrel. NO WAY. I'm hoping that was the problem. When I came home I removed the action and using various diameter dowels started sanding the barrel channel. Whoever bedded this rifle laid glass all the way down the barrel channel! It took me about 45 mins to get enough material removed that I could run a piece of paper between the barrel and stock all the way to the chamber. Next time will see if that was the problem.
Old 07-25-2019, 03:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess every factory has an off day. The newest M70 rifles that I have were all in good shape with the factory bedding. Did you get the trigger adjusted to your liking yet?
Old 07-25-2019, 04:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

Big, actually the trigger is pretty good the way it is. I may play with it later. I want to see if I can get it shooting sub MOA right now.
Old 07-28-2019, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got this old rifle from my uncle. He rode with it in the cab of his truck all the time. It is a 264 Win mag. The barrel was actually worn off at an angle. The crown was not even round. I did some homeboy gun Smithing. This rifle shot 2" to 3" groups. Now it is getting better. This is the picture after I put a new crown on it.

This is the first group I shot.

This is the two 3 shot groups I shot today.