Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
New Encore pistol build - 327 Federal Magnum >

New Encore pistol build - 327 Federal Magnum

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Encore pistol build - 327 Federal Magnum

Old 05-17-2019, 12:37 PM
Typical Buck

Talking New Encore pistol build - 327 Federal Magnum

Just over 10 years ago, Federal Cartridge Company and Sturm, Ruger created a new revolver round - the 327 Federal Magnum. Based on a lengthened 32 H&R, the cartridge was designed to be a potent self defense cartridge that could fit more rounds into small framed revolvers' cylinders. In spite of its small size, it runs at a pretty high pressure (45,000 psi), which means it can produce surprisingly high velocity. Because new revolver cartridges are few and far between handgun hunters have taken notice of the cartridge. In addition to Ruger self-defense revolvers, it has been offered in a handful of hunting revolvers. However, few people have actually taken the cartridge hunting. Not surprising, considering the cartridge is less powerful than the 357 Magnum, which is generally considered the smallest handgun cartridge commonly recommended for hunting.

Over the past year, the some of the skilled handgunners at handgunhunt.com began hunting with the cartridge. Not varmints or coyotes, either; deer sized game. I read their reports of taking several game animals, including whitetail and pronghorn, with revolvers chambered in the cartridge, and I began to want to test the cartridge out for myself. However, seeing as people had been using revolvers, I wanted to be different. I wanted to make an Encore.

Back in March, I had saved up a bit and decided to make my decision. I went on MatchGradeMachine's custom barrel page and placed my order. After a few weeks of waiting and shopping for some other parts, I finally received everything in the mail:

What we have here is a 12" long, heavy taper contour, stainless steel barrel chambered in 327 Federal Magnum with the .311" bore. It's topped with a Nikon Force XR 2.5-8x28mm scope, held on with a Warne base and rings. It has a set of HausOfArms electric blue grip and forend.

I've got some Starline brass, H110, and 100 grain Hornady XTPs I'd like to try to test. I'm not 100% set on this bullet for deer hunting, but I'm certainly going test it out first.

You may be wondering about the aesthetic. My sister has a Kimber Sapphire Pro 9mm, which is one of the most beautiful handguns I've ever seen.

I wanted a change from the blued metal/black grip and forend look I've become so familiar with.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:13 AM
Super Moderator

having used a S&W 357 mag 8 3/8"" barrel, revolver for decades
and having a couple friends use m1 carbines,, and ruger 30 carbine revolvers,
with hard cast bullets I have zero doubt that 327 mag single shot will be lethal, if you shoot accurately,
but I hope you post some pictures and any insight you gain from use.
and don,t assume you missed if deer run on bullet impact, the smaller calibers are lethal,
effective and can be amazingly accurate,
,but in my experience game rarely shows the instant reaction to a well placed hit,
it tends to with a 40-50 caliber bullets impact.
Old 05-19-2019, 08:03 AM
Typical Buck

You’re absolutely right about that last part. Even with larger calibers, they may not show it. Watching the doe and coyote run off after taking a hit from my 460 was a real eye opener. I’ll definitely post my findings.

The biggest issue I think I’ll have to deal with is finding an appropriate bullet. There aren’t many offerings in 32 caliber, and few of them are suitable for hunting. The 100 grain XTP seems like it’ll be my best bet.
Old 05-20-2019, 08:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

That's a really nice rig TN. Good luck with it. Post some targets so we can see how she shoots.

TN if you know where I can get a Pachmayr decelerator grip and forend set for my Encore please PM me. I'd really appreciate it.

Last edited by bronko22000; 05-20-2019 at 09:00 AM.