Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Rem. Sendero >

Rem. Sendero

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rem. Sendero

Old 04-13-2019, 07:00 PM
Spike

Default Rem. Sendero

Hey, does anyone have or have opinions of the 300 Win Mag as far as hunting rifle is concerned?
Just looking at one and would appreciate some in put and is around 800 a good price for it new?
THANKS in advance for the help.
Thanks Again,
Hhardrock
Old 04-13-2019, 07:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

good accurate rifle and decent caliber for all big game
BUT my question to you would be, what type of hunting are you planning to do, where at as well!

as this is a heavy barrel rifle, and a lot of extra weight, if you plan to do a lot of walking
and if only deer hunting, a 300 win mag is a LOT of caliber for just shooting deer with t?
do you really need this much rifle??
its targeted at those that wish to shoot more at distance than just plain deer hunting!
I personally own many rem 700 action rifles with heavy barrels in many configurations and calibers, and seldom use any for 99% of the hunting I do LOL
I like smaller lighter rifles , got older and got smarter, and I can shoot very well with lighter smaller trifles at all distances I wish to hunt at!
NOT bashing this rifle either, there GREAT rifles IMO!
just asking if you need that much rifle or not?

as for price , is this a sendero II or just the standard one?
but 800 seems a fair price to me for a standard, and would be a great price if a II
Old 04-14-2019, 04:02 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by mrbb
good accurate rifle and decent caliber for all big game
BUT my question to you would be, what type of hunting are you planning to do, where at as well!

as this is a heavy barrel rifle, and a lot of extra weight, if you plan to do a lot of walking
and if only deer hunting, a 300 win mag is a LOT of caliber for just shooting deer with t?
do you really need this much rifle??
its targeted at those that wish to shoot more at distance than just plain deer hunting!
I personally own many rem 700 action rifles with heavy barrels in many configurations and calibers, and seldom use any for 99% of the hunting I do LOL
I like smaller lighter rifles , got older and got smarter, and I can shoot very well with lighter smaller trifles at all distances I wish to hunt at!
NOT bashing this rifle either, there GREAT rifles IMO!
just asking if you need that much rifle or not?

as for price , is this a sendero II or just the standard one?
but 800 seems a fair price to me for a standard, and would be a great price if a II
perfect answer IMO.
Old 04-14-2019, 06:20 AM
Spike

Hey Mrbb, I look forward to all your comments as you have given me a good few in the talks we've had and comments on the board.
I was a little taken back by the weight but my 7MM is only 1-2 pounds lighter, and packing it around in Mont. hasn't been to bad but there again I'm not getting any younger( sometimes seems like not any smarter). I (they burnt the school down to get me out of third grade) was just kicking the idea around for the new scope which needs a new home to sit on.
I'm not really sure about going to the 300wm as I really have a very good sense of the 7mm I'm shooting now and haven't talked myself into the 300 as I think the 7mm will do all that the 300 can do in my hunting areas in Mont.
Thanks for your advise and I may just pass on the 300 but I'm going back to the show to spend a little more time looking at it and a couple of other rifles, as usual I shall return for updates(ing).

Thanks, Hhardrock
Old 04-14-2019, 06:34 AM
Super Moderator

mrbb gave you good advise,and yes if your only hunting deer , even at extended ranges,
the 7mm mag with proper ammo, (generally 154-170 grain bullets) in that rifle will certainly be adequate
I know two people that own remington sendaro rifles , both are very accurate,
but I'd point out almost every deer or elk anyone, in the hunt club I belong too,
has shot in the last 5 decades, was killed at under 250 yards,
most of the guys I've spent decades hunting with, have tried the various 300 mag rifles at one time,
no one I know has ever found them wanting in lethality or accuracy, if they were loaded with a decent projectile,
and the rifle was properly bedded and sighted in.
that being stated, the 270 win, and 35 whelen both seem to be a more popular choice's with the older guys I hunt with.
If you have some spare cash, and want to enhance longer range accuracy, maybe upgraded optics would be an option,
example
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/62...-reticle-matte

if you want more power than a 7mm mag ,
a 300 mag is certainly a good choice,
but if your looking for more punch,
,Id suggest jumping past the 30 caliber to a 338-340 caliber rifle

Last edited by hardcastonly; 04-14-2019 at 07:37 AM.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:54 AM
Super Moderator

For your intended use I don't think that you would gain anything by going to a .300 win mag over a 7mm mag

-Jake
Old 04-14-2019, 01:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK
honestly IMO< if your planning to get into long range shooting/hunting, this rifle is ideal for this and is a awesome longer range rifle , the weight will be there but is a benefit when shooting afar
and this caliber IMO is a better one for far out there than the 7 mm mag, , there is SO much data on this caliber as having been used in military for so many yrs for long range work, data and load and bullets options are endless
NOT bashing the 7mm mag, its a great caliber, but if I was planning to shoot far, between these calibers, the 300 win mag wins hands down
(I'd prefer a 300 ultra mag myself LOL )
but its hard to beat a 300 mag again due to its history and info on it for afar shooting. ammo is about every where for it too if ever needed, brass is easy to find as well(and cheaper than a 300 ultra mag too )

but if your planning again to shoot afar, 500+ yards or more, this is a GREAT rifle to get started with, you will NOT be disappointed IMO with it,
at 800 bucks, its NOT cheap again unless its the II, version of it, , but 800 isn't bad
finding a good used one shouldn;t be that hard , if you look, and could save you 300+ bucks for just a rifle in the sendero model!, and odds are very few people ever shoot a rifle all that much to wear one out, heck most used rifles like this, you'd be lucky if the old owner shot a 100 rounds out of them IF that! LOL
back when I sold guns, I used to HEAR all the plans so many had when buying a rifle, , planned to shoot it a LOT, get into long range and or planning trips out west, and then a few yrs later be selling me back the rifle almost new in the box yet LOL
as life so many times gets in the way and all them plans, well , never turn out as planned !
Old 04-14-2019, 03:46 PM
Super Moderator

Unless I missed it, he never said that he was trying to shoot 500+.

​​​​​​I've never owned a 7mm mag although I've had a few to play with that were borrowed. I've owned several .300win mags. For a basic hunting rifle, which is what the first post stated, I don't see any real world advantage in switching.
​​​​​​
Of course, if you're just itching to buy something I'd say go for it. The senderos are nice rifles.

-Jake
Old 04-14-2019, 04:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Unless I missed it, he never said that he was trying to shoot 500+.

​​​​​​I've never owned a 7mm mag although I've had a few to play with that were borrowed. I've owned several .300win mags. For a basic hunting rifle, which is what the first post stated, I don't see any real world advantage in switching.
​​​​​​
Of course, if you're just itching to buy something I'd say go for it. The senderos are nice rifles.

-Jake
yes he started a different tread about wanting to shoot farther and he just bought a ice long range designed scope for doing so
I forgot it when I posted my first post here in this topic/
SO I added the second post to maybe help a little more in that area!
even says he has a friend now with a range out to 800 yards
so, that being a PLAN of his(maybe) this rifle would be again , a great platform for shooting long large like that! and a good caliber as well for it!

NOW if all he wants to do again is shoot deer, its a little over kill IMO!~ LOL
Old 04-15-2019, 02:17 PM
Spike

Hey All,
I passed on the Sendero, as it was at the gun show but the weight bothered me a little.
We hunt Mont. taking deer, elk and we have shot a couple of bears(son has).
The 300 will be topped with the new Athlon scope I bought and depending on how the long practice goes I may do more of that when not hunting.
I really appreciate all the opinions and help as Mr.bb and I have talked a few times and I know all opinions and comments are meant well.
Thanks again for the help and will update when the new rifle is obtained.
hhardrock

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.