Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Remington 700 .300 Win Mag >

Remington 700 .300 Win Mag

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 700 .300 Win Mag

Old 07-31-2019, 03:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default Remington 700 .300 Win Mag

I ended up trading my 6.5 Creedmoor for a .300 Win Mag, I couldn’t get the 6.5 Bug, i own a 7MM-08, and a .308, I have all bases well covered with the 7-08, The Little Creedmoor felt like a Waste of Powder and Time to me

Anyway, I made the Trade, We traded Rifles, and Loading Dies, The .300 Was Brand new unfired. The very first thing i did was Order a Bix’N Andy 2 Stage Ball Bearing Trigger and installed it, These Bix Triggers are UNREAL!! I have owned a BUNCH of Timney’s over the years, and 1 Triggertech “Special” edition, They are Not even CLOSE to the same league as these Bix Triggers

My new .300 Win Mag is a Shooter! She’s Also a BRUTAL Recoiler, on the edge of NOT fun! When i Hang in and do my part, the Rifle lays them right in there A rifle that kicks this Hard can cause problems if you shoot them a lot (Flinching) These are my Handloads of Course (I don’t shoot ANY factory ammo) My bullets are seated .035 Off the Lands, They fit in the Magazine Great, and Function Flawlessly.

180 Grain Load, My Cold clean Bore here was a COMPLETE Clean, Full copper removal

165 Grain Load, 5 Shots made 1 Ragged Hole, No complaints here

Chronogaph Data, 5 Shot average with the 165s
Old 07-31-2019, 06:24 AM
Fork Horn

I've had a 300 WinMag for about 30 years that I use for just deer hunting. It is as it came from the factory with the exception of Leupold scope. I shoot factory available Federal 180 gr. and don't mind the recoil at all. The gun always shoots dead on at 100 yds which is the longest shot I can expect in WV. Mine is wood and the only drawback is the weight of the gun. It is tough on deer so I stick to head and neck shots after seeing what it has done to deer shot elsewhere.
Old 07-31-2019, 06:42 AM
Spike

Nice shootin! What kind of glass and reticle?
Old 07-31-2019, 12:57 PM
Fork Horn

I use one of these for bench work with all magnums.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002531259

Last edited by bpd1982; 07-31-2019 at 01:00 PM.
Old 07-31-2019, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

a different stock can help a lot with recoil, some of the factory stocks ain't that great at helping on larger calibers!
and you can always add a muzzle brake, so long as you don't mind the added noise levels! !
Old 08-02-2019, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mike Salyards
Nice shootin! What kind of glass and reticle?

Nothing Fancy optic wise, The Scope is a Nikon Pro Staff 4-12 with their BDC Reticle, I got the Scope in the Post Falls Cabelas Bargain Cave for 76 bucks, it was Brand new But they had Mis placed the Box? I was THOROUGHLY impressed with the Clarity, This Scope is CRYSTAL Clear.

This Rifle is DEFINITELY a Good Shooter!! To try and help Combat Recoil, I added a Lyman Lead Ingot inside the Hollow Butt Stock, Dap Liquid Nails, And then Filled it Completely Full, Compressed with a GIANT Rubber Band. This is that Good Old School Rubber they use to refer to as “Live” it’s Jiggly