Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Finally solved my grandfather's inaccurate 300 Weatherby >

Finally solved my grandfather's inaccurate 300 Weatherby

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Finally solved my grandfather's inaccurate 300 Weatherby

Old 03-27-2019, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by hunters_life
Lone Wolf, please do not subject that beautiful stock to a lead sled. I have seen several stocks damaged because of them. A stock is designed with a human shoulder movement to absorb impact in mind. A lead sled allows way too much pressure and causes a wedge effect between the barreled action and stock. The old man built a few stocks for people with big boomer magnums that got split on a lead sled and he told them in no uncertain terms not to subject his stocks to that crap. If you can't handle the recoil of whatever you are shooting then either learn proper form, get a proper fitting stock, or don't shoot that particular firearm. I honestly have a hard time believing lead sled is still in business with all the reports of split stocks I have seen for myself and online.
Originally Posted by dhasemann
I can attest that this is something to be aware of. I found out the hard way and damaged the butt plate on a rifle. Luckily not the stock. I now use a lot of padding around the stock when using it.
That's a shame. It's really good for keeping the rifles steady and absorbing recoil. But I definitely don't want to risk cracking the stock.

Originally Posted by bronko22000
You may want to have a smith either remove the threaded area of the muzzle and re-crown it or install a nut over the threads to give it a finished look. Glad you got it shooting again.
I'll get a threaded muzzle crown made for it. I'm not too concerned with having it shoot well with the brake. That sucker's loud with the brake installed.
Old 03-28-2019, 03:37 PM
Fork Horn

I have used a lead sled for load development for years without issue. I find that little or no added weight to the sled works well to dampen the recoil and not harm stocks.