Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
we all have done it, but why do we care? >

we all have done it, but why do we care?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

we all have done it, but why do we care?

Old 03-17-2019, 07:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

That makes sense and is logical. When I read the OP statement, it seemed like the guy with the borrowed scope was simply borrowing it to sight in his rifle and then was giving the scope back. That didn't make much sense. Sometimes it's hard to see the context when a story is related. Most everybody i know has a scope on their rifle if desired but I don't believe anyone I know has extra scopes laying around. Now I might have to see if I can meet some of these scope rich people. Could be fun.
Old 03-22-2019, 12:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I try to remind myself in certain instances interacting with others in public that Dunning Kruger effect is a spectrum, and that the knowledge I possess is within my control to disclose. These two bits of enlightenment are incredibly powerful for a Socratic negotiator.

So when someone at a rifle range might make an obviously inexperienced Dunning Kruger statement, it’s nothing but a few questions to force them to reveal the lack of substantial evidence for their position, or lack of substantial experience. That button can be pushed as gently - with the intent to educate - or as harshly - with the intent to humiliate - as the negotiator might so desire. I generally try to live my life gently until the time comes to not, so I like to educate those folks by asking questions, withholding usually my own experience, knowledge, or opinion and appearing to ask earnest questions to be taught by the rube, drawing out their explication without making them immediately defensive, and when the logical fallacy or lack of tactile experience falls bare, the opportunity to strike as gently or as harshly as desired is up to the negotiator.

A colleague of mine used to warn other colleagues during discussion - tread lightly, if Nomercy448 asks you more than one question in a row, it’s only to let you tie a noose around your own neck.

One such example which always stands out for me - I was moonlighting as a bouncer in engineering school at a western bar in a large college town. I was also a professional bull rider. A regular patron - which I can attest was 5’4” and 97lbs, as I read his photo ID every week - fancied himself a bull rider, and one night told me the story of a recent local rodeo at which he had competed the weekend before. Knowing he had NOT competed in that rodeo, since I was the bull riding event director for that particular circuit and managed event rosters and records myself - I asked what night he had competed, to which he mentioned it was an odd rodeo, as it had a performance on Thursday night, not just the typical Friday and Saturday (which was true, as I had been at that event on that Thursday night). I asked what bull he had drawn, to which he answered, “Toad,” which was this “big red muley” - which was almost true to life - as Toad was an itty bitty short thing, but was muscled and fat to look like a bull twice his height and weight if viewed without reference - but he WAS a red muley, and of course, one of my traveling partners had drawn Toad that particular night and rode him for a whopping 62 points. Still biding my time and biting my tongue, I asked, “I’ve seen Toad out, he’s not bad, so how’d you do?” Thinking I was buying his lines, the patron boasted that he was 84 points on him. I responded, “wow, must have been a he11 of a ride, how’d that place you in the rodeo then?” And without the ability to stop himself, the miniature patron beamed - well, I won it on him... At that point, his flunkies were gushing over his tale, while my friends behind me were about to burst at the seams. I reached for my belt, and told him - d@mn, there must have been some mistake, because I’m wearing the buckle I won for being 78points at that rodeo on Thursday night... He did have a tough time explaining his inaccuracies to his posse, little to my concern.

Alternatively, I had another shooter approach me a few weeks ago while I was gathering chronograph data and confirming zero at our local indoor range. He had asked if we could shut off some of the range lights so he could practice shooting with his illuminated reticle and forend light - which was fine by me. As I might be expected to do, I glanced over at his 50yard target occasionally and noticed his spray pattern spread all over the 16” x 16” target as he flicked his light on and off, firing from the bench with a very tactical AR. He introduced himself as we were both packing up, and told me about how much he enjoyed long range precision rifle matches and about the GA Precision built rifle he shoots which makes 1 hole groups at 100yrds - noticing my match rifle I had been shooting. Knowing he wasn’t a member in our state precision rifle club and having never seen him at a match, and after watching his 16” slowfire supported groups, I asked questions. He quickly admitted he’d only been out a few times to meet a few people, and said the rifle he mentioned belonging to another friend of mine - which WILL legitimately punch one hole groups, and he admitted he had just bought a rifle to start competing this summer. He then mentioned where he practices, some private land south of town, and mentioned why he was shooting lights out - raccoon control. As a trapper and houndsman my entire life, I asked how he was hunting them - he said just walking in the woods and shooting what he saw, one night even shooting 15 coons. Expecting it was a line of bull, I asked - really? Just by walking the creek? To which he produced his cell phone with a picture of him, the very tactical AR he had been shooting, and a 4 wheeler basket stacked high with what sure looked to be 15 coons. By all accounts, if you’d have asked me - I’d have said he was clueless and making up both stories, but lo and behold, despite the somewhat interlaced detail which implied more precision rifle experience than he had, and despite the EXTREMELY unlikely scenario simply walking down a creek at night with an AR and a flashlight would yield 15 pelts, both were indeed true. Socratic negotiation paid off - as I could have counted him a liar and left thinking such, but now I have a new place to run coonhounds nearby, and another buddy shooter to chat with at precision rifle matches all summer.
Old 03-22-2019, 01:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

always use private ranges, but on occasion I have friends and acquaintances stop by, happened once when I was zeroing, he proceeded to berate me for being too particular when sighting in.....till a crow landed at 510 yards and was decapitated by a 140 gr from my 6.5, he never mentioned it again!
RR
Old 03-22-2019, 02:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

I only go public for the 100yrd indoor range only a few miles from my house. I guess technically I’m a member at a private club range now too, which is ALMOST as bad as being public sometimes, but still not really public. Most of the members there are vets or LEO, and a smattering of precision rifle competitors - so there’s pretty low likelihood of running into “gunsels,” but every now and again guys will bring some friend out on a guest pass who’s totally clueless, and remind me what true public’s are like. I do hit some public ranges around the country here and there on work travel, always interesting.
Old 03-22-2019, 02:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

That Williams Evans is a beautiful gun, Flags. I find it hard to take beautiful guns to the field, I just shoot "beaters".