HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   New shooter target (young boy with a .22 or a lady with a .38sp snubby) (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/420434-new-shooter-target-young-boy-22-lady-38sp-snubby.html)

ButchA 02-24-2019 06:32 AM

New shooter target (young boy with a .22 or a lady with a .38sp snubby)

I was thinking about brand new target shooters and ways to try and help them out. I reflected back on my own childhood with my dad and my old Marlin 60 .22lr rifle (everyone has had one of those!), and how my dad helped me when I was a kid. So, I got creative again in Photoshop and made a new target designed for brand new shooters. Feel free to download this, print it out on white cardstock paper, and take your kid out target shooting, take your grandson out shooting with a little .22 rifle like everyone has back in the day. Keep the tradition going...

What do you think of this idea for a target (complete with a confidence boosting message at the top)??

Bocajnala 02-24-2019 10:08 AM

Looks good Butch.

My six year old loves to shoot milk jugs, pop bottles, etc that have been filled with water. He likes to see the water come squirting out.

This is a good idea for a traditional Target and the colors make it pop out

-Jake

Oldtimr 02-24-2019 10:41 AM

I like the target but I would not recommend a snub nose revolver for a new woman shooter, or any new shooter for that matter. For a new shooter the sight plane is really short which makes it even more difficult to do everything you need to do to be good with a handgun. and hit target. Much better off with a longer barrel. My first duty gun was a mod 36 S&W snubby, standard 2 inch barrel. While I qualified with it I hated it, it required too much concentration to maintain a sight picture, especially if you are in a situation where you need to hit what you are shooting at. Much better to start a new shooter with a longer barrel. For an experienced shooter who already has the fundamentals and technique of handgun shooting a .38 snubby is probably ok. The gun I carry most now is my Kahr ,40 S&W which has a 3 inch barrel but is much easier to shoot than the 2 inch mod 36. If you are determined to go with the snubby, I suggest you find one with a 3 inch barrel.

ButchA 02-24-2019 12:01 PM

Thanks, guys... I printed it out here and showed it to my wife (a non-shooter). Even she liked the contrasting color pattern from across the room!

I know what you mean, Oldtimr. I had a Taurus 85 .38 snubby and sold it years ago. No matter what I did, I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it! It flipped back in my wrist all the time and was a general PITA to shoot. I went classic and historical, and bought a 1911-A1 .45 ACP and love shooting it! It takes me back to bootcamp in the 70's when everybody had to qualify on the legendary 1911! :)

Oldtimr 02-24-2019 12:34 PM

We qualified with the 1911 .45 in the Navy in 1965 when we made Petty Officer as well.:biggrin:

ButchA 02-24-2019 04:15 PM

I think everybody had to qualify on the legendary 1911 back in the day! :biggrin:

Even though my modern version has only 850 rounds+/- or so, it has NEVER had a problem at all. No jams, no FTF, FTE, ...nothing. Just incredible performance from a legendary handgun that is built like a tank!! :biggrin:

That target that I created can be used on an indoor range with any handgun, or used on an outdoor range at 150 yards (or further) with a scoped rifle. The contrasting rings can easily be seen from any distance...

CalHunter 02-25-2019 12:11 PM

It's hard to go wrong with a .22 and new shooters. Especially when you mix it up with targets like this, cans and water jugs, etc. Something for everybody.

Nomercy448 02-25-2019 02:14 PM

It's a challenge to manage a short barreled, short sight radius snubby revolver when the SA trigger pull is 2-3x the weight of the revolver, or more, let alone playing with a double action pull which might be 8-10x the revolver weight. Just not a very shooter friendly design. Shooting SA helps, lightening the SA pull helps a lot.

For recoil, dribbling 4.0grn of Bullseye under a 93grn Meister LRN in a 38spcl case is an easy way to make recoil even with ultralight alloy snubbies behave themselves.