Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifle build

Old 02-16-2019, 01:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rifle build

I was toying with the idea of building a 6mm earlier but have since changed my mind. I am gathering my pieces to build yet another 25-06. I have other 25-06 rifles and find the cartridge just about perfect for my purposes. The others are blued and have walnut handles. This one will be stainless and synthetic and be a pronghorn/mule deer rifle..

Starting with a trued stainless Remington 700 action all I need now is a recoil lug, barrel, trigger, and stock. I currently can not see any reason to get a barrel with a faster twist than the standard old 10 considering that I will most likely shoot 100-110 grain bullets. I like a 26" tube but a good 24" will do. Maybe a Douglas.

No decision on optics yet. I will cross that bridge when I come to it.
Old 02-16-2019, 03:00 PM
Super Moderator

Pictures?
Old 02-16-2019, 03:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

MAN the options in GREAT barrels these days has never been better, there are SO many great makers anymore, almost hard to get bad one LOL
I like Hart, Shilen, and Krieger barrels., always had impressive results,
but again, SO many great makers today
my stock of choice will always be McMillan when wanting NON wood stocks
rices ain't cheap, but there darn indestructible and so many options can be had on them!
I am also a very big fan of cera coating for a finish, even over stainless,
again so many options on color and there even less maintenance than just stainless alone
stainless has its flaws if in extremes for long!, so coating it, is a nice upgrade if you hunt in wet cold nasty weather at all IMO!

triggers, I honestly been pretty happy with my factory rem triggers with some work to them
recoil pads, I vote pacmayr
you didn';t mention, but I prefer a BDL hinge floor plate set up over a clip or blind mag well?
but that's me LOL
sure we all maybe like different things!
and I prefer rem 700 actions for building off, every one I ever built has been a tac driver when loaded with loads they like, lower end builds have some way over achievers too, and that's never a bad thing

best of luck and yes, post some pic's , even as you go if possible!
Old 02-16-2019, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

26" would be a long one.

-Jake
Old 02-16-2019, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

I’ve been a Jewel HVR shooter for Rem’s and Rem clone’s for many years, and still love them. But I did try out a TriggerTech Diamond last season, and loved it. My primary match rifle sports a TT Diamond this season, and my back up runs a Jewel HVR.

My bolt action barrels this year have been a Krieger, two Bartleins, and a Proof (stainless for me, but planning to order a carbon wrapped barrel for my son). Shilen is often my go-to barrel, just didn’t go with one this year.

Really fell in love with the McMillan Game Warden stock for a hunting rifle, it’s a lighter, sleeker profile than the A3, but still with the grip angle I need. Paint it whatever color you like.
Old 02-17-2019, 06:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

When I was trying to win the arms race shooting BR I believe that I tried every good barrel available at that time. Finally a tiny bit of sanity finally took hold, and I quit the BR game. I have screwed Douglas barrels on many hunting rifles and been very pleased with them and their availability. It is not set in stone but this will most likely end up with one of the Douglas best quality air gaged barrels in a sporter weight.

A HVR is planned to hang underneath, but it may end up being a Timney. Hinged floorplate. I will absolutely not even consider changing the extractor.

The stock will be decided a bit later. I am not a fanboy of any particular brand and just need to put a few different ones in my hands to see what feels good that day. I need to have this one done and ready to hunt by the end of this coming summer. The toughest decision at this point looks to be the scope.

This will be a hunting rifle only. I usually do not hunt pronghorns or mule deer in extreme weather. No form of competition is contemplated so I do not need it to powder an aspirin at 800 meters, use a detachable magazine, shoot rapidly, etc. Just a simple mid-weight and accurate hunting tool. Choosing the components and putting them together is fun.
Old 02-17-2019, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

for a scope, IMO< a nice leupold in a VXIII in say a 4.5x14 (I'd go 30mm tube, and 50 mm obj for hair more light and wider views)with there CDS system to your fav load! as it is a nice simple easy hunting set up, very decent lens quality IMO too! and very reliable on repeatable adjustments and holding there zero!
watch for sales at the big chain stores(cabela's.bass pro, and likes)
and they can be had at a great deal at times, IF willing to wait till closer to deer season ??
I own about 12 of these scopes right now and all have been great at holding zero and repeating adjustments, back when I sold scopes, they were also one of the lowest rate brands I had to ever send back, and I sold a LOT of scopes of many makes, that however was over a decade ago, so things could have changed, but just my 2 cents on a suggestion I would go for if me here `

then you get to decide on what mounts LOL
some folks can get way over thinking on parts
I again have had great luck with leupold mounts on hunting rifles

but sure sounds like you have all the idea's already you need, its just a matter of what one's win the game and get done!
Old 02-18-2019, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
A HVR is planned to hang underneath, but it may end up being a Timney.
If you run a Timney, make it a Calvin Elite - not a 510. Every time I go back to a 510 for a hunting rifle, it makes me cry every time I take it out. I always think a hunting rifle should be not only functional, but evoke emotional satisfaction when fired, as it's not fired often. Quality wood, great glass, peerless stainless, and a fantastic trigger... Those are the things which make my heart sing in a hunting rifle - and the 510 is like an instrument in the orchestra completely out of tune.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:00 AM
Super Moderator

the last two rifles I had re-barreled I had shilen do the work,
http://www.shilen.com/productsRifleBarrels.html
the total cost was a bit higher than I expected, from my prior conversation,
but the quality of work was good so I really was happy, with the result
I had heavy varmint weight 26" stainless barrels installed on a couple rifles
both 300 wby , accuracy is reasonably good , most ammo is under 1" at 100 yards
Old 02-19-2019, 05:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Nomercy448
If you run a Timney, make it a Calvin Elite - not a 510. Every time I go back to a 510 for a hunting rifle, it makes me cry every time I take it out. I always think a hunting rifle should be not only functional, but evoke emotional satisfaction when fired, as it's not fired often. Quality wood, great glass, peerless stainless, and a fantastic trigger... Those are the things which make my heart sing in a hunting rifle - and the 510 is like an instrument in the orchestra completely out of tune.
This will be a CE if Timney is the choice instead of the HVR. I have been wanting to try the CE but it has to be the right type of rifle for a trigger that will be set so light, and this is it. HVR or CE are the only triggers I am considering on this one since I will likely have the trigger trip somewhere just under 2 pounds.

I do disagree with you about the 510. I have a 510 on a few hunting rifles and think it is a very good trigger if you want a 2.5 - 3 pound trigger pull. That is the weight range I like for my bigger game rifles. I do not want a light trigger if I am in an exciting situation.

I am still up in the air about the stock. There really is no reason that I need synthetic in place of wood for a pronghorn rifle but synthetic seems OK for stainless. At this point I just want to get the metal done early this spring and then see which way the wind blows on the stock.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.