Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Padded gloves for shooting >

Padded gloves for shooting

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Padded gloves for shooting

Old 02-11-2019, 10:12 AM
Banned

Default Padded gloves for shooting

Recently picked up a Thompson center Encore Pro Hunter pistol in 7mm-08. I do like it a lot. Still working on a load and zeroing it in for hunting. But at the range it would be nice to use a glove that is padded and designed specifically for high recoil pistols. Combing the internet has been unsuccessful. I wouldn't hunt with it as the recoil is more than tolerable for a shot or two, but when shooting 20+ rounds at the range it would be nice to save my hand/fingers/wrist.
So, what would suggest for a shooting glove that absorbs recoil? I've seen them used . . .

Last edited by dig4gold; 02-11-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 08:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

You might try padding your hand inside the gloves, has worked for me in the past. Tape and gauze works. Most of my issue was the web between my forefinger and thumb. I'd use a couple of pieces of surgical tape from mid forefinger to mid thumb to strengthen the web between my forefinger and thumb.

If your lower palm pad is the issue, a couple of layers of gauze and tape will likely help.

My issue was practicing with my pistol grip shotgun, with magnum loads. I kept it for home defense. That sucker killed in front and crippled behind. The first time I shot that sucker barehanded it split the web between my forefinger and thumb, blood sprayed all over the place.
I worked construction and have bruised my thumb palm pad and the lower palm pad before, it can be painful. Be careful you don't develop a flinch from the pain, it can stick in your brain.
Old 02-12-2019, 03:52 AM
Banned

"killed in front and crippled behind" Yeesh!! So far, the part of the hand getting the most "damage" is the index finger. I'm gonna apply some mole skin on the trigger guard area and I did find some thicker winter gloves I'm gonna try. It really isn't that bad, but it's cut me now and I scaaaart of it doing more damage. I'm gonna conquer this bugger!
Old 02-12-2019, 04:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a pair of my weight lifting gloves. They are fingerless with leather patches in the web and palm area. Any good sporting goods store carries them if they carry weights. There are probably much more effective gloves for this purpose and a padded glove does change the way the grip feels, but it does help.

These are not exactly what I use but it will give you some idea about what they look like:
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Big Uncle; 02-12-2019 at 04:30 AM.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:38 AM
Banned

Good idea. I would have never thought of those. Something else that has helped is I put the Bellum trigger kit/upgrade in it. Trigger pull is down to about 2 1/4 lbs. As well as polishing and honing the sear and sear notch.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

mechanic's wear makes a lot of nice gloves, some are padded palms and some not,
I have a lot of issue's with my hands and I find wearing gloves almost a must do for many things, and these have been the most used brand I have experience with

I have also used some from other brands, fit is a huge part of gloves to me,not all fit the same
but you will loose some sensitivity in your trigger finger, which you can cut away to make better if you wish to!
I have had some good luck with motorcycle gloves too,(MX style, without padded finger models)
as many of these come in better sizes, actual hand sizes and not just, M, L XL like sizing
and may of these also have padded palms which again can help on the recoil !
Old 02-12-2019, 09:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer the palm padded fingertip-less Gym gloves with wrist strap support.
Old 02-12-2019, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just bought these
https://www.amazon.com/Prodigen-Outdoor-Winter-Touchscreen-Running/dp/B077JKBWKB/ref=sr_1_37?crid=33G988OK728SW&keywords=touchscreen+gloves+men&qid=1550024460&s=gateway&sprefix=Touchscreen+gloves%2Caps%2C1502&sr=8-37 https://www.amazon.com/Prodigen-Outdoor-Winter-Touchscreen-Running/dp/B077JKBWKB/ref=sr_1_37?crid=33G988OK728SW&keywords=touchscreen+gloves+men&qid=1550024460&s=gateway&sprefix=Touchscreen+gloves%2Caps%2C1502&sr=8-37
Good fit for me, sizes are little screwy order one size larger than your normal. The touch screen finger works well on a trigger, you can actually feel with it. I've been using them at an outdoor range, pistol shooting, just enough glove to keep your fingers from stiffing up from the cold. The downside is they don't breath well and your hand sweat builds up. The upside is they improve your grip, they almost glue to my Pachmyar grips. IMO these are a keeper, I have a whole flight bag full of gloves that sucked for one reason or another.

They have several types of the same glove, some with more or less insulation, most just the same glove just rebranded (renamed).

Last edited by MudderChuck; 02-12-2019 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a few pairs of handgunning gloves, and have used a few others, but honestly, I have yet to find a pair I really enjoyed. I’ve wasted a lot of time, frustration, and pain trying to find the right glove.

First trick: make sure the grips really fit your hand so you don’t need a glove. Even a 45-70 contender and 308win Encore, or a 475 Linebaugh Redhawk don’t require a glove for me. But I did spend the money on grips which fit my hand.

The best “glove” trick for me: making your own is REALLY simple.

Find a glove with a supportive wrist strap and the finger length you want (I almost always shoot half fingers) JUST a little oversized in the palm, then grab a chunk of high impact foam floor mat. Split a piece of the mat down to about 3/16” thick with the hard layer side retained, then trim it to an oval shape to fold over the web of your thumb and palm, skive the edges down to a feathered edge, turn the glove inside out and put it on your wrong hand, then position and trim the pad as desired. Mark the glove around the pad, contact cement in place. If you have impact pain in your lower hand, make a U shaped pad (picture a blocky, old school football jersey letter U), and apply it with the belly of the U along the pinky edge of your palm, one upright going across the pad of your knuckles and the other cut off about half as tall, up the pad of your thumb. Grip the gun as you test trim the pad shapes and thicknesses. The only trick here is to get a glove slightly oversized just enough to fit the padding inside.

Seems like a lot of work, but really only takes a couple hours at worst, about 45min for me these days, and it lets you get EXACTLY the fit you want for your hand AND for your gungrip.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just ordered a pair of Copper Fit Compression Gloves that I saw advertised on TV. I'am afraid of contracting carpal tunnel syndrome, especially by shooting my 454 Super Redhawk.

Last edited by Erno86; 02-19-2019 at 07:25 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.