Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
worked up an accurate 500 S&W load >

worked up an accurate 500 S&W load

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

worked up an accurate 500 S&W load

Old 12-15-2018, 10:42 AM
Super Moderator

Default worked up an accurate 500 S&W load

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2...1-diameter-440-grain-flat-nose-gas-check

just a bit of info on these lee "440 grain" 500 S&W bullet molds ,
with the gas check and lube on these cast bullets,
at least using my 95% WW alloy and 5% tin, mix,
the projectiles actually weigh about 470 grains
they are quite accurate (WITH THE GAS CHECKS)
http://www.sagesoutdoors.com/500-s-w...tor-gas-checks
the best load for accuracy, after a great deal of testing.. 22 grains of blue dot
Its certainly not a max load but its very accurate and it certainly hammers hogs(1) you don,t need a glove to shoot it,
having shot both, I think a 454 cassul recoil and ,muzzle blast in a lighter revolvers harder to manage
(2) any mag revolver even a 357 or 44 can permanently damage hearing if shot without muffs or ear plugs
(3) with practice 3" 50 yard groups from a sitting position are not very hard to produce,
with the lee 440 grain gas check bullet and 22 grains of blue dot,
,the revolver is more accurate than the shooter can hold with iron sights
(4) its not all that practical, it was never meant too be!
its also not my revolver, I just load for the guy and have shot it several dozen times.
(5) yeah I prefer a 44 mag,
but theres not a damn thing really wrong with a guy owning a 500 mag if thats what he wants to carry!
(6) certainly a well practiced & skilled hunter would have little issues killing any game out to 100 plus yards with proper shot placement

Old 12-22-2018, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

btw , from testing in thick stacks of soaked wet news paper , Ive found the lee 440 grain gas check, hard alloy bullet and 22 grains of blue dot,
out penetrates the factory hollow point ammo when cast in 95% ww alloy and 5% pure tin
and yes you could easily boost velocity even further using something like 35 -40 grains of
H110 powder, but the 22 grain blue dot load already zips through moderately sized hogs and exits just fine

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/?C...Powder&Source=

Last edited by hardcastonly; 12-22-2018 at 10:52 AM.