Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

New Hunter

Old 12-09-2018, 10:09 AM
Spike

Default New Hunter

Hi, ive decided to take up hunting and will be starting next year. Though im new to hunting im not for firearms but i am wondering about a good rifle for deer. My budget is 400 or less and am looking for something in 308, 30-06, 6.5 creedmoor, or 556 but am open to other calibers good for deer. My question would be is there a good reliable bolt/lever action that is chambered in one of those calibers for around that price? Also any begginers tips would he appreciated it as well, thank you!

Last edited by PrimordialVoid; 12-09-2018 at 10:09 AM. Reason: More came to mind
Old 12-09-2018, 10:19 AM
Typical Buck

Lots of great choices. Somewhat depends on the ranges you hunt. Though I use 30-06 at 30 yards, which has a ot longer range.
30-06, 308, 7mm-08 remington, 270. 6.5 creedmoor has become popular with long range hunters. Not sure price of ammo or selection in all places.

Go to a store an handle some rifles. There are plenty of rifles in that range. Might be better if you go up $500. Any cheap scope will probably do. But if get into it, that is an area where you may want to invest.

Lots of sales this time of year on clothes. Sure you don't need anything fancy, but you need something. Especially in cold climates. When shopping I look at how load the fabric is. But I hunt at close range, and even then probably not a huge deal. I like wool and fleece.

Go somewhere and handle some rifles. Also consider used off armslist or from a dealer.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:22 AM
Typical Buck

Obviously need to be able to shoot it. Next will be a place to hunt. Ladder stand, box blind, stalking, pop up blind. Stalking and walking is fun,but is harder for new hunter. If you have private land, can build a box blind, put something up. Public land you probably can make something out of brush. Check laws in your state.

Reading your states manual is good idea. Can probably download or get copy where they sell guns or license.

Whatever you do, don't skip next year, cause you are nervous or don't know what to do. Don't let another year pass. Just get out there.
Old 12-09-2018, 10:27 AM
Typical Buck

Some states handout doe permits, some you have to apply for in spring or summer. Which might be something a new hunter might not know. I'd rather shoot a doe, than a spike. Plus good to just get your first deer.

Last edited by Berserker; 12-09-2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

$400 is pretty tight, but it can be done for an entry level rifle. If I were buying a rifle for under $400, it would be a Remington 700 ADL, Savage 12 FV (Cabela's), or Ruger American, in that order. Buying for deer hunting, I'd recommend the 6.5 Creedmoor, 7-08, or 243win. These will have less recoil than a 308win, but still with great ammunition availability, and more than enough punch to cleanly harvest game at any range you might find yourself shooting. The 5.56 is not a beginners deer rifle, and even for an experienced hunter or shooter, it comes with a lot of limitations - I highly recommend against it.

A new hunter who is also a new shooter has a moral obligation to develop as a marksman before they go afield after game. I highly recommend you find a local opportunity (or not so local) to seek instruction. Beginners rifle courses are pretty rare, but you might be able to find one locally through nrainstructors.org - if you found a handgun instructor, they could likely help you find a rifle instructor, or offer some one-on-one instruction, even if they don't have a current course scheduled. Shoot me a private message if you'd like some help locating someone local to you for this. This person can also help you select a rifle, help you select ammo appropriate for your game animal and help find a load your rifle shoots well, and help you get your rifle set up and zeroed.

State regs for hunter's education, licenses, tags, and seasons all vary, and every state's info is available online. Expect to be required to take a hunter's safety education course and buy a hunting license and tag in any state - but you may need to enter into a draw for your tag instead of buy over the counter, and might have to have a firearms safety course to get a firearms tag. If you have trouble finding this info, also shoot me a PM, and I can reach out to other IHEA instructors in your area to help get you connected.
Old 12-09-2018, 12:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

the 556/.223 is NOT a very good deer caliber, and its NOT even legal on many states, si, IMO< skip that caliber for a deer rifle here!
next, after deer season, start going to gun shops, be surprised how many folks SELL a gun after deer season to buy X mas gifts
I had a gun shop and would BUY a LOT of used like new rifles, many times SOLD them the gun before deer season and then they sell afterwards back to me?? and as such, you can many times find very good deals on lightly used deer rifles with nice scopes and all set up!
very very few people shoot a rifle enough to even come close to wearing the bore out, just costs too much $$ for most folks to do so!
so, used rifles can be great buys
Old 12-09-2018, 12:47 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by PrimordialVoid
. Though im new to hunting im not for firearms you!
Have you fired rifles or shotgun before?
If you are able bodied adult male, I wouldn't worry about low recoil rifles. Unless shooting long ranges, where small flinches may make a difference.

But back to it, where are you hunting? Wide open spaces are different than heavy woods. Lots of people are using bolt 223 and waiting for perfect shoots,with premium ammo, same as should with other low recoil rifles

Never shot a 308, but never thought of it as high recoil. I know people as they got older went down to it.
Originally Posted by Nomercy448
$
A new hunter who is also a new shooterd.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by PrimordialVoid
Hi, ive decided to take up hunting and will be starting next year. Though im new to hunting im not for firearms but i am wondering about a good rifle for deer. My budget is 400 or less and am looking for something in 308, 30-06, 6.5 creedmoor, or 556 but am open to other calibers good for deer. My question would be is there a good reliable bolt/lever action that is chambered in one of those calibers for around that price? Also any begginers tips would he appreciated it as well, thank you!
You said you're not new to firearms in the above emboldened part of your post. Do you have any center-fire rifles already? If you do, maybe one of those would be suitable for your hunting rifle. If not, have you considered looking for something used? Sometimes you can get a really good deal on a rifle with some life left in the barrel and a scope included.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

No offense to the OP, but I tend to assume when someone is asking about a $400 rifle, from 5.56 to 308, they don't have an extensive collection, or likely ANY firearm already. Maybe a 22LR. I've been told HUNDREDS OF TIMES in the last ~20yrs, over and over, "I'm not new to firearms," and then find out a student meant by that they'd shot a 22LR with their grandpa a decade prior, or they've shot a few times with their dad's or grandpa's rifle. I use the same anecdote with these folks, "do you know Michael Jordan?" To which they always answer, "yeah." So then I ask, "What's his phone number then?" Of course, none have his phone number. "I know how to shoot." Ok, stand up and knock over my 200yrd popper out there. So for the OP, if you've been shooting some rifle every month for decades and have a fleet of rifles to choose from in your safe, then forgive my assumption. The question spanning from 5.56 to 308win for deer doesn't imply a lot of experience.
Old 12-09-2018, 02:52 PM
Super Moderator

most of us are on a tight budget, and you certainly don,t want to spend cash , on something your likely to regret purchasing later, or something in a rather odd caliber that has expensive and difficult to locate ammo.
if limited to a single deer rifle Id most likely try to find a rather common caliber like a 270 win,308 win or 30/06. and personally Id be looking for a deal in a rather lightly used, ... USED rifle, or a lower priced new rifle.
in a bolt action

example (new)
.https://www.gunbroker.com/item/788967281

if you ask around at most large shooting ranges you'll find a few people with used scopes
or rifles they will sell semi reasonable, the problem will be finding one in good condition at a decent price.
your looking for good value, don,t go by price alone, and have a knowledgeable experience friend check it out,
and I would be very reluctant to buy anything I was not allowed to test fire a couple shots with to verify function.
you might find something like a mil surplus Mauser in good shape, a few years back the 6.5mm swedish mausers,
and 308 win converted spanish mausers were priced well under $200 you might find one that was purchased,
stuck in a closet and nearly forgotten for sale if you ask around,
while it may not be fancy its generally a fine functional hunting rifle

Last edited by hardcastonly; 12-09-2018 at 03:02 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.