Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Remington 700 sps stainless .300 wsm not grouping >

Remington 700 sps stainless .300 wsm not grouping

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Remington 700 sps stainless .300 wsm not grouping

Old 12-05-2018, 06:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Berserker
How long between shots? Some guns are more sensitive. Stainless steel is more sensitive.
Can you elaborate thoroughly on this?

Originally Posted by Berserker
I'll wait 10-15 minutes between shots when working up loads. Standing the rifle up, with bolt open is supposed to help some.
10-15min between shots? Can you provide more detail on your load work up process and how long it ends up taking you to develop a load?
Old 12-05-2018, 06:57 PM
Typical Buck

I think I spelled it out in detail.

Stainless steel is more sensitve to heat.

In general,stainless or not,if you want to test your loads to the maximum degree of accuracy you need a cold barrel. Nothing shocking

No great scheme, as I said in my first post, 10-15 minutes between shots. Takes as long as it takes. Not a quick process, since I wait 10-15 minutes between shot.

Can you do math?

Last edited by Berserker; 12-05-2018 at 07:00 PM.
Old 12-05-2018, 07:10 PM
Typical Buck

Not sure why you would bother asking about testing loads with a cold barrel. I doubt you are that ____. I can't fill in the blank around here. So you have another reason I guess.

I could copy what I do from national benchrest shooters site or XXX shooters, and some ladies would not like that. They should use their own methods. All I said was let the barrel cool, which is nothing shocking. If anyone says it is they are lying to themselves.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:03 AM
Super Moderator

If your shooting for tight groups or sighting in your rifle at the range,
remember, the stress harmonics in a rifle barrel steel,
tend to change the bullet impact, on a target,compared to where the sights are aligned,
as the barrel heats up,accuracy requires consistency,
heavy and fluted barrels are slightly less prone to this as increased mass and increased surface area,
marginally reduce the tendency for a barrel too flex as heat is increased
and because you have very little way of consistently maintaining any specific heat range,
other than letting the barrel return to room temperature,
its makes a good deal of sense to allow a barrel to cool between shots.
you can,t consistently have a warm barrel , like you might have at the range,
on the first shot while hunting either.
most guys I know fire one to three shots, then run a solvent soaked patch or two, through the bore,
followed by a dry patch or two and let the barrel return to room temp over 5-10 minutes before continuing shooting groups
this tends to allow you too keep more consistent groups and a similar to cool barrel impact point.
because warm air tends to rise, placing the rifle in a rack stacked vertically with the action open ,
tends to allow air to act like hot air in a chimney to carry heat up through and away from a warm rifle barrel faster,
than it would if the rifle was placed horizontally to cool.

Last edited by hardcastonly; 12-06-2018 at 04:10 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 04:22 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by hardcastonly
If your shooting for tight groups or sighting in your rifle at the range,
remember, the stress harmonics in a rifle barrel steel,
tend to change the bullet impact, on a target,compared to where the sights are aligned,
as the barrel heats up,accuracy requires consistency,
heavy and fluted barrels are slightly less prone to this as increased mass and increased surface area,
marginally reduce the tendency for a barrel too flex as heat is increased
and because you have very little way of consistently maintaining any specific heat range,
other than letting the barrel return to room temperature,
its makes a good deal of sense to allow a barrel to cool between shots.
you can,t consistently have a warm barrel , like you might have at the range,
on the first shot while hunting either.
most guys I know fire one to three shots, then run a solvent soaked patch or two, through the bore,
followed by a dry patch or two and let the barrel return to room temp over 5-10 minutes before continuing shooting groups
this tends to allow you too keep more consistent groups and a similar to cool barrel impact point.
because warm air tends to rise, placing the rifle in a rack stacked vertically with the action open ,
tends to allow air to act like hot air in a chimney to carry heat up through and away from a warm rifle barrel faster,
than it would if the rifle was placed horizontally to cool.
You are going to be on the blacklist now, and double secret probation.

I have been thinking about the 700 mountain gun for light weight. But thin barrel and SS does create accuracy issues, you can read people discussing.

I have a blued 760, that groups 2-3 inches or so hot. But 1 MOA cold. Has to have fouling shots and around 20 something starts to open again. Bought it used don't know condition inside barrel. I have heard some they were a bit pourus. Does take a long time to clean. Maybe pitted from poor care. But might explain why this gun got a bad rep. It did for me too when doing 3-4 shot groups. Then I started to notice the pattern, Good ebough for hunting, but not working up loads.

I know a guy who packs his barrel in ice. I am at my own range so time is not such a big deal, and usually have another gun to shoot.
Originally Posted by Nomercy448

Can you elaborate thoroughly on this?

10-15min between shots? Can you provide more detail on your load work up process and how long it ends up taking you to develop a load?

I don't believe he is hand loading. So why do you ask?

Last edited by Berserker; 12-06-2018 at 04:29 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:05 AM
Super Moderator

"You are going to be on the blacklist now, and double secret probation."

sorry.. a lifetime of being a mechanical engineer , and having to explain things to people that either don,t know or in many cases just don,t care or want to know how the real world operates...
gets to me and at times makes me frustrated... yeah, I know most of us that know how to do things correctly ... get a good laugh at how some people are clueless.
but take heart!,
its been my experience, that most of those people totally ignore reality and experience ,
and helpful advice 99.9 percent of time

Last edited by hardcastonly; 12-06-2018 at 05:08 AM.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by hardcastonly
"You are going to be on the blacklist now, and double secret probation."

sorry.. a lifetime of being a mechanical engineer , and having to explain things to people that either don,t know or in many cases just don,t care or want to know how the real world operates...
gets to me and at times makes me frustrated... yeah, I know most of us that know how to do things correctly ... get a good laugh at how some people are clueless.
but take heart!,
its been my experience, that most of those people totally ignore reality and experience ,
and helpful advice 99.9 percent of time
I've watched a lot of people shoot a lot of ammo. Many think it is quantity not quality that makes a person a good shot. Like if you shoot enough rounds the magic is going to happen. Or if you spend enough money it is going to make you a good shot.

When people talk about a rifle not grouping, I usually jump to the conclusion they are doing something wrong.

I'm a competent rifle shot, mainly because I came to the conclusion the most important thing is to do it the same way every shot, consistency of technique. Once you get that to acceptable levels, then you tune your rifle and ammo. And by the time you get things to this level, you start having to figure in ambient temperature and other variables.

I shot Olympic style large caliber pistol for years and learned that technique is generally one of the more important factors in good shooting.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

Some people think they know so much about shooting when in fact they are simply want-to-bes. They hear or read something and think its gospel.
Like 10-15 mins between shots. That's totally absurd! Moderate heat differences should not effect a rifle's accuracy if the action is bedded properly. Now shooting 5+ shots in quick succession will likely change POI.
And on this forum, calling someone _______ who probably knows more about firearms then you (unless you're a gunsmith) is ________.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

Guy was having accuracy issues, I asked how fast he was shooting. Letting the barrel cool is worth a try. It is common belief. Nothing I made up. So I am guessing it just bothers you cause I brought it up.
Old 12-06-2018, 05:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't have much tolerance for guys using pseudo science and half truths to mislead others. Stainless steel has a slightly higher thermal expansion coefficient than chromoly, which anyone can google and can regurgitate on command. But in the context of a firearm design, most guys (cough, cough) can't explain why that leads to stringing of groups as the rifle warms up. So what I was HOPING (cough cough) you might elaborate is WHY the thermal expansion coefficient matters, and WHY some rifles are more sensitive than others, and most importantly, point out how easy it is to prove out whether the OP's rifle is afflicted or not.

It's not the expansion coefficient of the steel which is the problem, it's the poor quality of barrel which has asymmetrical grain dislocations and internal stress which cause the barrel to warp as it warms, or poor machining quality which leaves greater interference in the threads or shoulder on one side than on the other, so as the steel heats and expands, it presses harder on one side vs. the other. I was HOPING you might bring some real science to back up your statements to the OP.

ALL of that is so easily tested for your rifle, the whimsy and mystique guys pour onto it is just silly. Shoot some groups, shoot some fast, shoot some slow. If it walks or strings, it will be very apparent, and it'll happen every time. Rifles with stress relieved barrels and proper machining don't walk. Guys can string shots as fast as they like.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.