Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless synthetic 7mm or 300WM >

Tikka T3x Lite Stainless synthetic 7mm or 300WM

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Tikka T3x Lite Stainless synthetic 7mm or 300WM

Old 11-24-2018, 03:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tikka T3x Lite Stainless synthetic 7mm or 300WM

I'm considering purchasing a Tikka T3x Lite stainless synthetic in either a 7mm or a 300WM. I will purchase the other caliber in a few years but prob. in another rifle make/model. I've got a T3 Lite in .243 & really like it - is the T3x Lite a good rifle in 7mm? Purposes of the T3 in 7mm will be for hunting - deer & black bear, possibly another elk hunt in a few years.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:18 AM
Super Moderator

the two caliber choices listed are at least marginally redundant in the type of game they would be used for,
I personally don,t see the real benefit of having both in your gun safe.
as to the choice, between the two Id be marginally, more inclined to go with the 300wm , mostly because you have a 243 already.
but be aware that the difference in selecting the 300wm, potentially comes with the advantage of being able to use heavier projectiles,
in the 180-220 grain range, and the down side is a bit more recoil as a result
the difference from what Ive seen in guys using both is rather marginal, both get the job done if the guy using either can select the correct ammo and shoot,accurately,
its kind of a do you prefer blondes or brunettes, ford or chevy deal.. you can,t really go wrong with either choice.

compare the load data and youll see the differences
300wm
http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=300%20Winchester%20Magnum&Weig ht=All&type=rifle&Order=Powder&Source=

7mm mag
http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=7%20mm%20Remington%20Magnum&We ight=All&type=rifle&Order=Powder&Source=

Last edited by hardcastonly; 11-24-2018 at 04:23 AM.
Old 11-24-2018, 07:47 AM
Typical Buck

As hardcast stated, the .300wm will give you heavier bullet weight options. The 7mm mag will give you a little better bullet BC options. Both are excellent for anything on this continent. I would option for the 7mm mag in that Tikka. It's a light rifle and recoil of the .300wm can be a good bit punishing at the bench. Especially if you are going with 200gr or better bullets. I had a bit of weight added to my Model 70 .300wm since I tend to lean towards the heavy side of the bullet spectrum with it. That extra 14 ounces doesn't seem like it would make a difference, and it really doesn't off hand as I don't even notice recoil in the field, but at the bench it made a world of difference. Don't get me wrong, the 7mm mag can be a bit of a brute in bench positions too but it's not as punishing as a heavy weight .300wm.
Old 11-24-2018, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

just for grins
no mater how you look at the results the 300 has a minor advantage in both retained energy and trajectory
lets compare the 212 grain 30 cal, pushed at 2900 fps out of a 300 wm
https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifl...12-gr-eld-x#!/ (bc 673)

to a 175 grain at 2800 fps
https://www.hornady.com/bullets/rifl...75-gr-eld-x#!/ (BC 689)

about 2" flatter trajectory and 500 additional ft lbs of energy for the 300 mag at 500 yards seems to me to hold an advantage

Last edited by hardcastonly; 11-24-2018 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-24-2018, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Tikka’s are great rifles. A light rifle in either 7 or 300 will certainly come with a healthy dose of recoil, but a muzzle brake and/or shoulder pad makes them easily managed.

I’ll admit, the 300 and the 7 are among my favorite cartridges, and deciding between the two is difficult for me as well. Luckily, I stumbled upon an arbitrary system to decide which I should use - my wife shoots 7’s, I shoot 300’s.

The on game performance difference is there, but either will cleanly kill anything in North America, and most anything elsewhere. So unfortunately, I recognize this isn’t much help in your decision making process, but there really isn’t an application where one is a right answer and the other wrong. A 300 barrel will last longer than a 7, but I assume you won’t put 800 rounds through this rifle in 3 lifetimes, so the difference is largely moot.

I will say, in 2019, it is hard for me to recommend any belted mag. I’m not saying a guy needs to go all in with 6.5 PRC or 300 RCM, but certainly give these a look before you commit to a belted mag.