Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Another .45-70! >

Another .45-70!

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Another .45-70!

Old 11-13-2018, 06:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Another .45-70!

Seems I just can't stop buying rifles in this caliber. This makes #4 but I got such good deal I couldn't pass it up. This model is the Marlin 1895SBL and will sit in my safe next to my 1895 Guide Gun, 1895 Cowboy and Pedersoli 1874 Sharps. But it won't stay there. This rifle will be used and hunted with just as it is. I even made a paracord matching sling for it a couple months ago because I knew I was going to get one sooner or later! I like the ghost ring rear sight. But the only thing I would have done different and likely will in the future is replace the ramp front sight with a white bead sight. Something that I am more used to like on my Win 94s.
Attached Thumbnails Another .45-70!-dscn0045.jpg  

Last edited by bronko22000; 11-14-2018 at 07:40 AM.
Old 11-13-2018, 06:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

I wish I would have had a spare when mine jammed on me the day before my elk hunt. I would not have had to borrow a 30-06. Can't have too many.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:00 AM
Spike

Congratulations.it's a beauty.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

Can't have too many 45-70s.
Old 11-29-2018, 02:59 AM
Typical Buck

used a cva single shot 45-70 & barnes 300 gr hp to take a doe yesterday during my lunch @ the truck
Old 11-29-2018, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

If your shooting a decent quality 45/70 like a marlin lever action, your really missing the boat,
in my opinion, and I have several people I hand load for that would certainly agree.
if you don,t cast your own bullets and hand load, this allows you to reduce the cost and duplicate or even increase,
the rifles accuracy over factory ammo accuracy and if you choose too, push the power levels a bit and still remain at safe pressure levels
maximizing accuracy is far more important than pushing the velocity to get the last potential FPS
and the 350 grain to 420 grain gas check,design, bullets
provide the best balance between retained down range energy,accuracy and safe pressures
remember the lower friction in the bore results in higher velocity with less pressure and bore wear with cast gas check bullet designs,
powders like RL7,IMR 4198 and IMR 3031 with a standard large rifle primer
(in some rare cases mag primers have a very minor detrimental effect on accuracy)
cast gas check bullets cast from 95% WW alloy and 5% pure tin by weight provide excellent accuracy,
if properly sized .001 over bore (generally .459)and a quality lube is used,
bore leading is almost non-existent if ammo is properly loaded and bore wear is nearly non-existent in a properly maintained 45/70
or most similar calibers like 450 marlin,444 marlin, 375 win, with cast bullets being much softer and producing much less friction than a copper jacket

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/63...nose-gas-check
http://www.neihandtools.com/catalog/index.html

http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=45-70&Weight=All&type=rifle&Order=Powder&Source=

http://garage.grumpysperformance.com/index.php?threads/do-you-cast-and-hunt-with-bullets-you-made.6802/

Last edited by hardcastonly; 11-29-2018 at 07:24 AM.
Old 11-29-2018, 08:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

I do reload for the .45-70s and I've been casting bullets for my muzzleloaders for years. I just got a Lee 90373 mold that cast a 340 gr bullet which is plenty of what I hunt. I cast and shot a 500 gr bullet out of my Sharps replica and that beast of a bullet passed through a 10-11' rock maple that was behind my target then lodged in another tree behind that! That bullet would penetrate anything that walked. And that was only at trapdoor pressures.
Old 11-29-2018, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

the first year I brought my marlin 45/70 to elk camp,

I had it loaded with a 400 grain hard cast gas check bullet design, I had intended to use it to hunt the thick timber where shots seldom exceed 100 yards
after the first few days when elk tended to spend the day in heavy timber. I brought my sako 375 H&H carbine,that year for my main rifle.
as things worked out one of the guys I hunted with that year slipped and broke his rifles scope and mounts,on opening day, his rifle had no iron sights
he borrowed my marlin 45/70 and was very much concerned it would not have the reach of his busted,300 win mag.
about 3-4 days into the hunt, he got a shot at a legal bull partly facing him at about 80 yards, he squeezed off a shot and though he missed, as he could not see the elk run, the bullet impacted center chest and exited behind the mid ribs on the right side after punching through over 2 feet of elk, the elk had dropped so fast he never saw it drop as he recovered from recoil, (2.5X scope) what made it even more memorable was he was the only one to fill his elk tag that trip!
he became a 45/70 convert and purchased a marlin 45/70 the next year and Ive loaded for him ever since.
http://www.handloads.com/loaddata/default.asp?Caliber=45-70&Weight=405&type=rifle&Order=Powder&Source=
he likes hand loads with 45 grains of RL7 under this bullet
https://www.midwayusa.com/product/63...nose-gas-check

btw I sold my marlin 45/70 to a club member who gladly paid a bit more for it, than Id paid for it , (still saved $75 under the then current price) and I had used it for at least 20 years, it was still in excellent condition, and I purchased a browning BLR in 450 marlin, which has a slight edge in accuracy and uses a detachable magazine and stronger front locking lug bolt.

Last edited by hardcastonly; 11-29-2018 at 11:48 AM.