Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
.380 semi-auto for wife >

.380 semi-auto for wife

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.380 semi-auto for wife

Old 10-14-2018, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default .380 semi-auto for wife

Looking for a .380 semi-automatic pistol for my wife to shoot. Considering the Glock 42, Sig P238, Walther PK380, Ruger LCP 2, or a S&W but there are so many varieties of the S&W. Are these good quality pistols? I'm looking for a few good ones to have her hold & possibly shoot so we can see what she likes.

Last edited by coolbrze0; 10-14-2018 at 05:10 PM.
Old 10-14-2018, 08:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

My wife really liked the Glock 42. You should take her to a gun store or 2 and let her handle different pistols and see what she feels comfortable with. Then see if a buddy or their wife owns some of the pistols your wife likes and see if they'll let your wife fire a few rounds.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I say safety first, then simple is better. I'm a firm believer in Murphy's law. Extremely short barrels and trigger safeties make me nervous. Double action auto's with a short barrel can be extremely inaccurate. In my thinking the chance of an accidental discharge outweighs speed of getting one into action. The chance she is going to need it is far outweighed by the chance she is going to screw up and accidentally fire it.

I've been looking at a small revolver with an integrated laser for my wife. Maybe a M&P bodyguard for her purse. I could load it with target wad cutters, which would work well in discouraging somebody.

My oldest daughter had some druggy try to snatch her purse in front of Walmart, she had my granddaughter in her arms and holding the purse through the strap. She sure didn't want to drop her baby. Thankfully she is a big gal, six feet maybe 180 and with a little Adrenalin she held onto that purse and didn't drop her daughter. Her pistol was in the purse.

It is all a trade off, IMO there is no perfect solution, but I tend err on the side of caution, safety first.
Old 10-15-2018, 05:22 AM
Super Moderator

There are definitely a lot of things to consider when carrying, that's for sure. A lot of responsibility and accountability is placed on somebody who chooses to CCW.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by CalHunter
There are definitely a lot of things to consider when carrying, that's for sure. A lot of responsibility and accountability is placed on somebody who chooses to CCW.
Personally I don't foresee a firefight, I've carried for thousands of days and actually needed it very few times. So the safety factor in carrying it around all the time is paramount for me.

I really like my P-7 M8, one of the safer options. Fixed barrel and amazingly accurate, trigger is good after you squeeze the cocker. It eats any ammo I've ever tried, much less finicky than my High Power. The down side is it is heavy and has a few quirks. It needs cleaning after a hundred rounds, gets hot after a hundred rounds. Or in other words, the gas cylinder gets gummy and it gets too hot to hold after a couple of boxes of ammo. I have XXL hands, but still prefer a single stacker.

I really expect HK to reintroduce the P-7 someday, a lot of people really like it.
Old 10-15-2018, 07:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know this is NOT what anyone wants to hear,. but I personally think a .380 is a bad caliber, seen then not go thru clothing !
many of the older models were designed to ONLY work off of BALL ammo, making defense ammo rather un reliable
GOOD ammo that is hopped up in power, is at the recoil level of a 9mm and well, since 9 mm's can be had in pretty much same sized guns as a .380
and a TON better options for ammo , I would advice maybe ask her to try some 9 mm's
that being said,
there are a ton of NICE made .380's out there all the brand names make them , key to anyone being any good with ANY hand gun is it FITTING THEM, not buying based on reviews or recommendations of other
get her to shops, handle guns(of good names) and let her pick, even better if you can go to shops that have ranges and she can TRY Them. a gun she cannot shot well or likes, will not get carried or used when needed!
I sold a LOT of guns over the yrs, and its easy for a GUY to get over involved in buying there wife/girlfriend a gun, buying more what THEY like, over what there partner can handle!
just my 2 cents!
Old 10-15-2018, 07:40 AM
Fork Horn

My wife shoots both the Glock 42 and 43 well so both are options. Everyone has his or her own preferences.
I would take her to a range that rents a bunch of models and let her try them and decide what she likes.
Old 10-15-2018, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

From the few I own:

S&W Bodyguard & Pro: bought the Bodyguard when it came out, didn’t like the trigger as much as the LCP Gen 2 (Not LCP II), and HATE the manual safety. Sold it and bought a Bodyguard without safety. Still hate the trigger. There’s not much to say about balance for micropistols, but they have a little too much hand without offering improved control for me. But I do have blocky hands, size 13 wedding ring and 4.0” across my knuckles. Accurate, better sights than many other models, just didn’t float my boat.

Sig P238: an elegant weapon, for a more civilized age. A bit heavy for its class, but for such, very well behaved. A lot of hand, and a lot of control. Best sights in the market. Best trigger in the market. Best fit and finish in the market. Very high price among competition. I recommend against ANY manual safety model, however. Both my wife and I carried these for a long time, mine a Scorpion, hers a Lady. I did buy a purple version as well, Go ‘Cats!, but I don’t carry them any more for the safety. Accurate, refined, best in class - if you can tolerate a manual safety.

Ruger LCP Gen 1, Custom, and Gen 2: The clown shoe sights on the Custom were a bad idea for a carry pistol - otherwise, it’s just a Gen 1 with a Galloway upgrade kit. The Galloway trigger bar and trigger is a huge upgrade worth the price in the Gen 1. Not worth it in the Gen 2. The sights and trigger are far better in the Gen 2 than the Gen 1. Throw a Hogue Wrap around a Gen 2, throw some high color paint on the sights, and be very happy. Accurate, reliable, light, easy to control (might be the most accurate in class).

Ruger LCP 2: best trigger in an LCP, but it’s technically a positive sear angle single action only mechanism. Better grip than the original LCP’s, but not as good as the originals + Hogue. I don’t personally find the sights to be as good as the Gen 2. I bought the 2 with the intent to stop carrying my Gen 2, but have honestly been happier carrying the Gen 2.

Glock 42: good sights, good trigger, good grip, lacking sex appeal... it’s a Glock. If I can get two hands to it, I manage the G42 better than most of the others, as I use a higher support hand grip and control my muzzle with my support index finger on the frontstrap of the trigger guard. I still carry my Gen 2 LCP, even though like the LCP II, I bought the G42 with the intention of displacing my LCP G2.

Off of the list, if I only wanted ONE microcompact 380, it would either be a G42 or Gen 2 LCP.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:13 PM
Typical Buck

Okay, something that hasn't been asked, you said "for my wife to shoot". I am going to assume you mean a range gun not a carry gun. I have seen a few here focusing on the carry or defense portion of this and I am not thinking you care much about that. With that in mind, unless you reload, you won't want a .380. Even cheap range ammo is at least a 1/3 higher than 9mm. And really, why limit her to carry size if this is going to be a range gun? Way too many options to list here for a mid sized handgun that would fit a lady. My wife, for example, is on the petite side with slim palms but exceptionally long fingers. Dang woman has alien hands. Of all the handguns I own, and there are many, as well as the several we have bought for her, that woman gets ahold of one of my Beretta 92f's and cuts the X out at 50 feet but her carry gun is a S&W m&p shield 9mm. Still very accurate with it but not anywhere near as accurate as with her range guns. And lord help anyone causing a problem around the mother unit if she has my old man's .44mag and within 75 yards. Just because they are female doesn't immediately mean they need low power baby ammo. And honestly, the felt recoil from most handguns chambered in .380 isn't much less, if not more, than a 9mm in mid size. I would suggest you take her to a range and let her rip a few from several different configurations and see what she likes as it really doesn't matter what I, us, or yourself likes.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

My wife carries the latest Ruger LCP .380, but when we go shooting she picks up her S&W Shield 9mm Luger. She likes the LCP mostly due to it's size. She shoots the Shield much better than the LCP and she has vastly more confidence in her ability to hit the target in the center with it. She is not a large woman at all and yet the recoil of the Shield does not bother her a bit.

An interesting compromise might be the Shield EZ. It is a Shield chambered in .380 and the slide is quite a bit easier to operate than either the LCP or the Shield 9mm Luger.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.