Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Best suppressed cartridge for deer? >

Best suppressed cartridge for deer?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Best suppressed cartridge for deer?

Old 09-06-2018, 06:19 AM
Typical Buck

So they would ask you would the ranger be able to hear this?
Old 09-06-2018, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Berserker
Shoot my mouth off? I am not thr one calling a guy a tresspasser and poacher.

one could explain various speeds and energy levels before insulting a guy.

also need to realize many people gun hunt at bow range. I hunt heat bush. I had shot deer at 15 yards. 30 is common. I should think about hearing protection when I shoot.

I also think would be fun tho do more target shooting without muffs. Also be nice to dispatch varmits. You ever shoot bigger than 22 out the window it is loud.
I made no accusations. Those are question marks at the end of the sentences. And, as you pointed out the questions were not directed to you.
Old 09-06-2018, 01:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

So they would ask you would the ranger be able to hear this?
if this is directed at ME< since you don;t seem to put anyone in your questionss

NO I have not been asked if a RANGER would hear THIS
we have mostly game wardens here that do the game law enforcing
but I have been asked MANY many many times, about if a neighbor would g=hear them shooting someone cats in residential neighborhoods, shooting close to buildings where NO hunting is allowed and other like ILLEGAL questions I did NOT brother to answer, and YES I was directly asked by MANY many customers about these illegal things and this was WHY they were asking about suppressors (they IMO seen too many movies and had no real clue or understandings of guns or what is legal or not )
and again, I have NO problems with suppressors for shooting sports, I in fact highly recommend them
I just don;'t recommend using sub sonic ammo for hunting big game!
Old 09-06-2018, 07:22 PM
Typical Buck

What about at close range? Lots of people forget that not everyone shots 100 yards or more. Though I like more power at close range, then long range guyscwoukd expect . Tracking a deer in a heavy bush can be a job sometimes.
Old 09-07-2018, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

What about at close range? Lots of people forget that not everyone shots 100 yards or more. Though I like more power at close range, then long range guyscwoukd expect . Tracking a deer in a heavy bush can be a job sometimes.
well I did answer this question, as if someone truly wanted to use sub sonic ammo to hunt deer sized game, I would really limit the shots to under 50 yards and be head shots ONLY type of deal IMO
and as said in countless forums and other publications about shot placement, head shots are NOT the best for most hunters to be trying due to such a smaller killing zone and higher odds IMO of a things going wrong and wounding a deer or making a VARY hard to follow blood trail if any at all! if things go off just a little??
SO< again, NOT the best idea here even at close range IMO using sub sonic ammo for deer sized critters?
Old 09-07-2018, 06:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Agreed, the two things that make a bullet effective is mass( weight), and speed. If you take away the speed, the bullet will have the same mass but the lack of speed upon impact, the same weight bullet in a both a sonic and a subsonic round will be less effective upon impact in a subsonic round . In addition the slower the bullet travels the faster it loses speed on it's way to the target.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 09-07-2018 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:02 AM
Typical Buck

I doubt I will get one, but 50 yards is s long shot around here
Old 09-07-2018, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I doubt I will get one, but 50 yards is s long shot around here
then honestly maybe a X bow is a better idea, some of the new one's are very rifle like and effective to 50 yards all day long! no paperwork either or waiting period to get it all said and done!
Old 09-07-2018, 09:34 AM
Typical Buck

I have one. As I said earlier I am not using one if I can legally use a gun.

i legally own plenty of firearms too, and carry permit.

a subsonic still might be nice for varmits. Especially if dogs around. Not to mention I don't keep ear plus on kitchen table, usually.
Old 09-07-2018, 10:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

so a need for you is to be able to shoot from the house or near your house? OK
was only trying to offer suggestions, no clue what you own or don't nor do I need to know or care to

if you wanted a NICE suggestion ona gun, I would suggest you maybe have a look at Johns Guns in TX (he has a seperate devision NOW for class III items ) http://fullysuppressed.com/
and then main site
http://johnsgunsetc.com/classes/

he makes/ sell complete guns with built in suppressors that work very well, he has/had(been a couple yrs since I sold any of his)
a Ruger 44 mag bolt action with the built on suppressor, that makes the gun just look like a heavy barrel rifle, NOTHING added to the end of the barrel, life time suppressor too, just take apart and clean and re assemble
he also sells the same like set up on a few other Ruger products that you would never really know were suppressed firearms
10/22, 22 bolt actions and there mark II 22 pistols(sold a bunch of them) they again work very well with basic ammo and even better with sub sonic, but I am again not a fan of them for hunting in sub sonic ammo!
but might be worth your time having a look at them, can get some of the pro's without the added cons of a longer gun and nose heavy gun due to things being on there end over his design!

but I have no issue with recommending his items, great shop, nice guy and quality products and service always!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.