Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Savage Axis 2 in .308 accuracy problems >

Savage Axis 2 in .308 accuracy problems

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Savage Axis 2 in .308 accuracy problems

Old 07-23-2018, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

Default Savage Axis 2 in .308 accuracy problems

I have the gun with bull barrel and am having a heck of a time getting the accuracy down. I am using a Harris bipod for a rest and consider myself an above average shooter while using it. I am probably at right around a 5 to 6 MOA at 100 yards. I find this unacceptable. I have tried several different ammo and still no luck. Checked all screws on the scope and all is good.

I am however using the scope that came with the rifle from the factory. Could this be the problem? The stock is also seems pretty flimsy.

I am not wanting to put a ton of money into this thing so hoping some of the more knowledgeable folks on here might have some cheap and easy ideas or maybe have had the same problem and can point me in the likely direction for this platform.

Thanks in advance

Kelly
Old 07-23-2018, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

I would try a different scope. I would also try off front and rear bags. I have had issues with bipods on hard surfaces. I am betting on a scope problem.
Old 07-23-2018, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Package deals equals cheap glass! Try another scope!
Old 07-23-2018, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

I agree. Most likely the scope
Old 07-23-2018, 03:42 PM
Typical Buck

I'm going to throw a wrench out and guess it's the bi pod. Unless that rifle came with the Bushnell Banner scope. Then it's more than likely the scope. If you got the deal with the Nikon it's pretty doubtful it's the scope. As bpd said, try bagging it before anything else. Take the Pod off, bag it, that may very well solve your problem. I've seen/had a couple rifles that just wouldn't group worth a damn shooting off a pod but were insanely accurate off a bag. Some cheap tupperware stocks just don't react well to the pod attached. And causes some flexing in the stock which will greatly affect accuracy.
Old 07-24-2018, 04:36 AM
Super Moderator

I believe the scope is a Weaver kaspa.

I did notice some flexing of the stock right where the Harris bipod attatches. I really hate to throw a bunch of money into it as I got it for a cheap rifle for the wife to hunt with when she decides to go. lol Just so happens we were drawn together for a good deer hunt in the panhandle of Oklahoma and 300 yrds shot is very probable. By the time I put a new scope and stock on it I could have bought a Rem 700 lol. Live and Learn I guess. Thanks for yalls help. I think ya backed up what I was thinking
Old 07-24-2018, 05:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

In my younger days I thought of myself as frugal or practical. After I had a couple of cheap scope failures, I saw the light! (pun intended!) Most of today's cheaper guns are better made and are capable of very decent accuracy. Today, I'll take a cheaper gun, with quality glass every day of the week over the opposite!
I'm very skeptical of all "package deal" scopes, regardless of the brand! Good luck!
Old 07-24-2018, 02:58 PM
Fork Horn

Last year, I tried to sight in my buddy's Savage edge or axis (cheap a$$ rifle) 223 cal. with a brand new Meopa 6 x 20 x 50 scope. The best I could do was 2 - 3 inches moa at 100. After several other members at my gun club shot it only one guy shot it a little better than I did. We discovered the trigger was close to 9 lbs
Old 07-28-2018, 08:54 AM
Super Moderator

Got a Boyd's stock coming and will swap out the rail, rings and scope and see how it is. Hoping to at least get to 1.5" moa
Old 08-02-2018, 06:54 AM
Typical Buck

kelly, did you check the screws on the bases? they could be a little loose and they could cause problems. also make sure the stock isnt touching the barrel. slide a dollar bill from the front of the stock toward the receiver to make sure it doesnt hang up anywhere. as others said the trigger could be the problem also.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.