Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Opinions wanted >

Opinions wanted

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Opinions wanted

Old 07-16-2018, 07:06 PM
Spike

Default Opinions wanted

Hey guys,

Aussie chic here wanting to get more into my hunting. Bout to apply for my next rifles currently own .22 mag and 30-30. Wanting to go to africa, America on some game hunts. Dont want to be under gunned. Tossing up between a .223 and a .270 or a .243 and .300 win mag. Would prefer first combo as can get most antelope ect with the .270 and wont have dead arm after 5 rounds 🤣 but all opinions welcome.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:56 PM
Fork Horn

The first thing we will need to know is what animals other than antelope you are wanting to hunt. You mentioned going to Africa the antelope there range in size from rabbits to the 2000 pound Eland. Some countries there may have minimum cartridge sizes you can use. Are there any other combos of rifles you would be interested in trying. If it were me and the first combo is your choice try using the 280 Remington instead of the 270. Both guns have about the same recoil but the 280 gives you a better bullet selection.
Do you have to apply to buy guns each time or is this just an application for a permit that will last a few years.
Old 07-17-2018, 10:58 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by wild bill g
The first thing we will need to know is what animals other than antelope you are wanting to hunt. You mentioned going to Africa the antelope there range in size from rabbits to the 2000 pound Eland. Some countries there may have minimum cartridge sizes you can use. Are there any other combos of rifles you would be interested in trying. If it were me and the first combo is your choice try using the 280 Remington instead of the 270. Both guns have about the same recoil but the 280 gives you a better bullet selection.
Do you have to apply to buy guns each time or is this just an application for a permit that will last a few years.
thanks for your feedback, according to my research you can use .270 for majority of the antelope species except for Eland which I cant afford anyway 😊 but Impala/kudu/wildebeests all fine. Zebra they suggest 30 cal. its actually legal to shoot Impala with a .22 😖
is the .280 a common round havent really heard much about it so not sure whether it would be readily available.
We have insane gun laws over here, have to have property letters, there's 28 day cooling off periods (just in case your thinking about shooting someone), safes have to be installed and photos sent with tape measure of fixings, no criminal charges ect ect
Old 07-18-2018, 12:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can't beat the old .30-06.....ammo is available worldwide and it's performance on non-dangerous game is as good as it needs to be.

Further, there is a wide assortment of ammo out there.....
Old 07-18-2018, 04:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have taken African plains game cleanly with a .280, which is nearly identical to a .270 in performance. The .270 is very popular there for plains game and will work well for everything under the size of eland. It would work for eland but they are so large that most people use a larger cartridge. Ammo for all the cartridges you mentioned is available everywhere. Ammo for less popular cartridges like my .280 can be very hard to find in remote areas so stick with the .270 and it will serve you well.
Old 07-18-2018, 07:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Get a 9.3x62 Mauser. Very manageable recoil and you can use it for virtually everything on the planet.
Old 09-13-2018, 07:18 AM
Spike

What type of bag do you use?
Old 09-14-2018, 04:24 PM
Spike

I agree with the 9.3x62 Mauser. You really can't go wrong with this one and practically does the job done.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:28 AM
Spike

x2 on 30-06 good bullet selection .
Old 09-19-2018, 10:34 AM
Spike

Instead of using multiple guns, such as your 223 and 270 combo, why not just go with a 6.5 Creedmoor and have everything you're asking for in one gun? It will do everything the 270 will do, but now you have more bullet and load options than the 270, with more data available by the day. I'm not usually a fan of super popular calibers, which is part of the reason I own a 7x61 Sharpe & Hart, but the more I look at the 6.5 Creedmoor or PRC for anything deer-sized and smaller, I'm not sure why you'd want to buy something else. Good luck and let us know what you end up with.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.