HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Guns (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns-10/)
-   -   Hunting amateur has a question.. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/guns/418414-hunting-amateur-has-question.html)

Sacha 06-28-2018 05:43 PM

Hunting amateur has a question..

Hey folks,

for nearly a year, I've been interested in buying a firearm to hunt with, namely a mossberg 500 with a rifled barrel to hunt deer.
Now the problem is that, well, I'm cursed... I'm a lefty!

For every model that interests me there's always a chance that it doesn't exists in left-handed version, so that's why I finally stayed with the mossberg 500 (because of the "L" series).
After that, I need to get a rifled barrel, to be able to accurately shoot slugs with. Now for my question, is the "rifled barrel" part compatible with the lefty version of the gun?

JagMagMan 06-28-2018 06:03 PM

Sorry, but I'm a Righty! So as to the next question, the rifling will not know whether you are a Lefty or Righty! And... Welcome to the Hunting Net!

Nomercy448 06-28-2018 08:41 PM

The Mossberg 500 barrels are not ambidextrous - the extension which engages the receiver is “handed.”

There ARE right and left hand rifled barrels, however, so you’re good to go.

Wingbone 06-29-2018 01:48 AM

I share you problem. I'm a southpaw myself. Even a right handed Mossberg is not a bad choice. The tang safety makes it pretty lefty-friendly. Other than the shells being ejected past your nose, you won't be hampered by it. That being said, I went with a Browning pump. The tang safety and bottom ejection makes it truly ambidextrous.

Bocajnala 06-29-2018 01:53 AM

That's a good question that I really never considered. However, I would have to think that the barrels are different. A quick Google search turned up no left handed Mossberg barrels. But looking at schematics online they do look different to me.

I would call Mossberg directly. I know they make the field/deer combo in left hand.... So they do make left handed slug barrels.

Call them up and see . Let us know what they tell you . Welcome to HNI

-Jake

JagMagMan 06-30-2018 04:47 AM

Hmm... Live and learn! I'd never thought that the rifling direction would matter as to which shoulder the gun was fired from.

Oldtimr 06-30-2018 05:36 AM

Assuming you were not being funny, the rifling is the same, the breech end of the barrel is different because the ejection port is in the left side of the gun instead of the right. Consequently, the alignment notch and ejection cut out are on the left side of the breech end instead of the right side.

Bocajnala 06-30-2018 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by JagMagMan (Post 4337644)
Hmm... Live and learn! I'd never thought that the rifling direction would matter as to which shoulder the gun was fired from.

Not the rifling. The way the barrel mates to the receiver. The Lefty ejects on the opposite side., So it makes sense that the barrel mates up differently.

-Jake

elkman30 06-30-2018 11:15 AM

For the OP. Have you gone to a real gun store to see if the gun combo is made for lefties? Don't go to a walmart, go to a real guns tore where they know about guns. They should be able to find out if its made and how much it costs to order it.

Nomercy448 06-30-2018 02:21 PM

The 500 Combo L series IS a factory offering. Mossberg product number 59814.