Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
What happens when you're gone? >

What happens when you're gone?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What happens when you're gone?

Old 06-08-2018, 02:12 AM
Super Moderator

Default What happens when you're gone?

I lost all my rifles in a boating accident.

But I was thinking.... What happens to this obsession when we go? I'm young now, with a few small kids. Are these items that you just leave to the estate and let the kids worry about someday? Or stuff that you should specifically write down where each item goes to?

How would you handle it. It's safe to assume that not all of the kids (maybe none of them) will have any interest in my collections.

What's your plan?

-Jake
Old 06-08-2018, 02:18 AM
Spike

Accept Jesus Christ as Load and Savior. In paradise who has my earthly possessions, including guns, won't matter.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:47 AM
Super Moderator

If you want to dump a mess on your kids (or whoever else handles your stuff), go for it.

I want to have everything in line as much as possible and keep things as simple as I can for them. One of the things that have frustrated about me growing up around Christians my entire life is the idea that "it doesn't matter once I'm gone."

Yes, it does. Part of being a Christian (and a good person in general) is taking care of our possessions and the earth around us. We aren't called to be slobs, but to be good stewards of what we've been blessed with.

But that's getting way off topic.

You don't care about what happens to any earthly possessions and will let whoever comes after you worry about them. Got it. That's definitely an option.

Partially due to the inherent risks of my job, I have what I consider to be a better plan in place. And I have things in order allot more than most others my age I believe, at least as far as insurance, college funds, etc.... But I haven't really included the firearms in that plan as of yet. And since they add up to a decent amount of money, they should be in the plan somehow.

-Jake
Old 06-08-2018, 02:52 AM
Boone & Crockett

C120, there is a religion thread for your post, it doesn't belong here! If you want to Proselytize, go there.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 06-08-2018 at 03:02 AM.
Old 06-08-2018, 02:55 AM
Super Moderator

OT, it does belong here.

I asked a question about what happens to possessions when I'm gone. He replied that " it doesn't matter to him" and provided the reason that it doesn't matter to him.

Your post however is off topic.

We won't be running off posts just because they include a religious opinion.

-Jake
Old 06-08-2018, 02:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Bocja, If you have specific people you want specific guns to go to, put it in your will, that is what I did, the rest can be disposed of as the Executor of the will sees fit. That is what I did. It would be helpful to make a list of firearms, descriptions and serial numbers and keep it in a safe place.
Old 06-08-2018, 03:00 AM
Super Moderator

That;s what I was thinking.

Maybe put a few of the "special ones" directly to kids. Then sell the rest...or somehow allow the kids the option to purchase the rest from the estate or something. That way stuff is being divided equally.

There are a few, stuff that came from grandparents etc, that should stay in the family.

But I'm sure allot of them won't be of much interest just because they are things that specifically interest me.

Good advice thanks
-Jake
Old 06-08-2018, 04:14 AM
Fork Horn

This is a great question, one that I've though about a lot. Dying without dealing with the valuable or beloved things we've accumulated can cause lots of work, things given away or sold for little, and family fueds. You're a wise young man to be considering this at your state of life.

As you approach your later years, perhaps think about getting rid of a lot of the toys you've accumulated and no longer need. For example, I already gave my valuable watch to my son. My wife is doing the same with her jewelry for our daughter. Why wait until we're gone to see them wearing and enjoying it.

I'm also starting to weed out many of my toys. Tools, hunting and fishing gear, an extensive r/c airplane collection, and my motorcycle, will go when my ability to use them diminishes. Most given to family and friends, the rest sold or donated.

I've helped many heartbroken and confused widows who had no idea how to dispose of this stuff. They knew how much these things meant to their husbands and were so afraid of doing the wrong thing or simply had no idea how to proceed.

I'm determined not to leave my family with this partiular problem.
Old 06-08-2018, 05:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

God will handle my soul once I’m dead, nature will handle my body, and my family and lawyer will handle everything else.

Part of my plan is a solid foundation of communication. I have a spreadsheet with serials, model, description, purchase date, price, notes for value assessment, etc my wife has a digital copy, and there’s a hard copy both inside my safes and on file with my will. My homeowners insurance also has a copy. This spreadsheet includes “what belongs to who” and “who gets what if I die” columns. If those folks want to sell it once I’m gone, that’s their right to do so. The rest of my accumulation is divisible asset value of the estate, such I leave it to my wife and lawyer to arbitrate discussions of, “I’d rather have the guns than $XX value of inheritance. Cars/trucks, motorcycles, farm equipment, land, investments, firearms... anything I have with significant monetary value is in the will.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

guns are just like any other possession you have, if you DON"T SPELL out in some legal form in writing and you die, it will become a guessing game and maybe more often a FIGHTING battle of who gets what
from my experience nothing brings out the claws in family members more than a death and an estate with what THEY think are valuable items, be it in money value or sentimental value
I have seen so many familys torn up when someone p[asses and they fight /steal rob, sue for items that deceased person had, and its destroyed many a family along the way

so, yes if you want to be in charge of where your things go, you HAVE to have a legal document stating where your wishes are to go, be it a will, or like document
and EVEN then, there are some family members that will still fight it and try and contest a will
when ever possible, if you KNOW your time in near I strongly suggest you GIVE "X" items away to those you want to have them in advance of your passing, so that they GET THEM, and at times this is a double win, as many times you get to actually see "X" person's enjoy the things you give them and not just HOPE they do when you pass!

and a side note, anyone that has MANY firearms, IMO should look into actual firearms insurance, most would be very surprised to find out there home owners does NOT cover very much in the way of firearms , having had a gun shop for yrs, and hearing SO many folks that found out the hard way there guns were not fully covered or only a small portion of what they had, after a break in or fire or like disaster, when for a little more $$ they could have had actual gun insurance and been made whole again, rather than taking a beating on losses.

I also highly recommend owners keep a log book of there guns, serial numbers, basic info and value/worth, (good for when you pass and some creepy guy try's to scam your family out of them dirt cheap cause they don't know guns value's as you did(
adding a simple picture of said firearm and add on's too helps a ton in insurance claims too!

and last, just cause a family member isn't into guns or hunting, doesn';t mean they might not want a treasured item that belonged to YOU, for that sentimental reasons, more than cause they plan to use it!
and also, there are many good places one can leave guns to if they do not have family that hunts or shoots
like the NRA< and other like deals, or local gun clubs, that mentor kids into the sport, seeing that your guns end up in a hunters hands and maybe see continued use while your gone

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.