Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Monday Gunday - Offhand paper plate fun >

Monday Gunday - Offhand paper plate fun

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Monday Gunday - Offhand paper plate fun

Old 05-31-2018, 04:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I absolutely agree - I have no intention of throwing an offhand standing shot 200yrds after a deer - he11, not even 20yrds. I haven’t shot a deer offhand in over a decade. I ALWAYS have a shooting stick handy. I shot my buck this winter at 35yrds, kneeling, using a monopod. Whether it’s a freestanding bipod, tripod, monopod, shooting sticks, prone or seated Harris, fence post, tree, truckbed, four wheeler rack, my wife’s shoulder, etc etc, I do anything I can to add support to my shots in the field. Even simply kneeling or sitting is a huge boost for stability (I used to shoot 3 & 4 position Smallbore too, plus some years of 3 position Service Rifle).

I also don’t condone a 10” group as good enough for deer hunting. I know it’ll put meat on the table, but in general, if I don’t know I can shoot tight enough at a given range and from a given position to punch a hole in their heart, I work for a better shot.

I usually don’t practice as much on the sticks this early in the year, but I might try to run that game back in the next couple weeks, but shooting from standing supported and sitting supported. Prone from the bipod, I know I only need a 4” target at 200yrds with that 22LR, and the 6 creed prints no worse than 1.5” at 200 prone. Big gap between prone supported and standing offhand!!
Old 06-20-2018, 08:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

I’ve been stuck on the road for work for a few weeks, but I was hoping to see some other folks post pictures of some offhand groups on paper plates! Been a little hot around here, maybe folks aren’t venturing out in the sun much this summer to do any shooting?
Old 06-20-2018, 01:59 PM
Typical Buck

I've been breaking a sweat walking out my door the past several days. Absolutely too hot for my fat rear to shoot outside. Been keeping myself at the indoor range.