Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Which sub-compact 9mm for CCW? >

Which sub-compact 9mm for CCW?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Which sub-compact 9mm for CCW?

Old 03-25-2018, 12:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Which sub-compact 9mm for CCW?

I currently carry a Taurus PT111, and it has been serviceable for carrying IWB with a VersaCarry "holster." I'm just not crazy about the fact the gun will occasionally jam at the range when shooting 115 grain target rounds.
A couple of times, shooting with a limp wrist may have been to blame, but I still feel like the gun should be less sensitive to this.

I'm in no rush, but I am saving up to upgrade. But I'd appreciate any input on these models or comparable ones I have not come across.
Here's what I've been looking at:

Springfield Armory XD Mod. 2 Sub-Compact
---
Pros: feels solid, good trigger, simple (grip) safety, good mag capacity
Cons: very top-heavy, thick, unpredictable price

Walther PPS Mod. 2
---
Pros: slim, absurdly ergonomic grip, narrowing match-style chamber, good trigger, low price
Cons: much lower mag capacity

S&W M&P9 Shield
---
Pros: slim, lower price
Cons: mag capacity, atrocious safety design

Ruger SR9c
---
Pros: longer barrel --> higher velocity, good mag capacity
Cons: longer barrel more difficult to conceal
Old 03-25-2018, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

I would add the Walther CCP to that list to look at. Like the PPS, it's ergonomics are perfect. Even for someone such as myself with rather large hands it just feels good. I got one for my wife not to long ago and she absolutely loves it. Fell in love with it in the first magazine. The only thing I don't like about it is disassembly. I like simple and this thing is far from simple. But other than that, everything else is great. It carries easily IWB and she shoots it almost as well as she does my 92F. I say almost because there is no way she could shoot anything better than she shoots that thing. She's smaller in stature but she has exceptionally long fingers so a double stack grip fits her fine though she does prefer the slimmer single stack.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:06 AM
Dominant Buck

I use the M&P Shield in 9MM. There are models without the safety but I elected to not go in that direction...old school thinking I guess. I don't have a problem with using it and the safety has become automatic for me. My friend who went with us to Alaska brought along one of his favorite carry pieces..Kahr. Nice small gun.
Old 03-26-2018, 04:14 AM
Boone & Crockett

Take a look at what Kahr has to offer. I carry a Kahr MK40, it is .40 S&W but it is as small as a compact 9mm well made and is very well made and dependable. For a gun my life may depend on, I would never carry a Taurus. When I was instructing, I saw too many failures on the firing line with them.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Take a look at what Kahr has to offer. I carry a Kahr MK40...
Great suggestion! I remember handling a used CW380 from them years back. I wouldn't get a handgun in a .380 when the recoil difference with a 9mm (cheaper and more powerful) is negligible, but I was struck by how smooth and manageable the trigger was for a double-action only of that size. Undoubtedly the same is true for all their DA handguns.

While perusing, I noticed their cheaper PM series, which as best as I can tell is identical to the MK series---except for a polymer frame instead of an all-steel one.
If that's the case, the only real difference (aside from preference) should be a drastic difference in re-sale value (not a big concern for me; I want something reliable I can carry forever).
Old 03-26-2018, 07:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

That was my goal younggun.
Old 03-26-2018, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator

Out of your list Younggun308, I have only owned and carried a .380 Walther PPS/K in a stainless version (definitely not the model 2 in any way). It was very easy to conceal and accurate but the the DA trigger on the first shot was horrible. I ended up selling it and getting a Glock 42 and 43 to test further.

You have some good pistols on your list. I would recommend you see if any buddies own any of those pistols and see if they'll let you shoot a couple mags through each one. Size, ergonomics and stats are useful to help narrow down the list but can't tell you how the pistol draws, points and shoots for you.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I carried a Kahr CW9 for a couple years until it was in my truck one morning and my truck was stolen...after that I carried a Glock 17 when I had to.

Luckily I just bought another CW9 last week...I forgot how awesome they are to carry and shoot!

My dad has the S&W and it's also nice, I like the trigger on it better than the Kahr.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

younggun you do have some good choices to choose from. I was at cabela's the other day and I like the kimber micro and the sig sauer. I have no personal information on these but they looked compact.

I do have an older version of the Ruger LCP 380. i can say to stay away from kel-tech. The one I had was always jamming or double feeding no matter what ammo I was using
Old 03-27-2018, 01:52 PM
Fork Horn

Question An Opinion...

Just my opinion, but as long as you shoot an auto and think you MAY be limp-wristing, changing handguns is not going to matter unless you go to a heavier pistol. Auto's are autos... The PT111 G2 is amazing for me, NOT the trigger I'd love to have, but acceptable and no jams or misfeeds. If I have the room, I'll take less rounds with the GP100 .357 but it is bulkier and harder to make a non-print(on your body). The PT111 can pass muster with a big man in a front pocket or even back pocket, not that I'm advocating either. Look for a hollow point in the 9 and practice practice practice to relieve any limp-wristing. I use a .40SW and really can shoot it well with the grips I installed. Tritium Night Sights and a good holster when needed and I'm set. It sits bedside though.

If you have a G1, dump it and go for what you want! I consider anything less than a 9 somewhat under-gunned. I prefer the .357 and drop to the .40SW if necessary, with 9mm being my carry.

Again, this is just an opinion... YMMV

REM7600

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.