Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
.270 Win vs 30-06 springfield >

.270 Win vs 30-06 springfield

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

.270 Win vs 30-06 springfield

Old 03-20-2018, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by buffybr
The .270 vs .30-06 debate has been going on in hunting camps and hunters circles since Winchester introduced their .270 cartridge back in 1925. I doubt that it will be ended here. I also doubt that any animal properly hit with a bullet from either cartridge would know the difference.
Ding, Ding, Ding we have a winner.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:10 PM
Fork Horn

Here's what my 270 thinks of a 30-06:

Old 03-21-2018, 05:09 PM
Fork Horn

Come on now Ray - I'll blow the head off a .270! OR would you like me to minimize the headspace on the .270?

Cool post though!

Big grin!

REM7600
Old 03-22-2018, 01:37 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by buffybr
I also doubt that any animal properly hit with a bullet from either cartridge would know the difference.

With the proper bullet and bullet placement, either cartridge can be successfully used for just about any North American game animals.

Originally Posted by flags
Ding, Ding, Ding we have a winner.
As our (probably) two most experienced BIG game hunters......

How far does this statement stretch? As in.... a heavy .270 load is a 150gr. A heavy .30-06 is a 220gr. (today the well built 180s are probably the better choice but I still like to load some 220s for giggles....) I wouldn't hesitate to use any .270 or .30-06 with a quality bullet on Elk or Moose. Hit them where you are supposed to and they are going to die.

How about the BIG bears? I'm sure plenty have been taken with a .270. I personally wouldn't hesitate to take an '06 out for them. But I doubt I'd want a .270. This is just my personal opinion though and I really don't have much experience with a .270. Targets a few deer, and some ground hogs. With the 06 I've taken lots of deer and a cow elk

Do you really think there's no *real* difference between the two when it comes to an animal that can eat you? Or just not enough difference to really matter?

I suppose when it comes down to it, if the .270 can't do it, then you should jump up bigger than the .30-06. But between the two for all North American game... I still find myself picking the .30-06.

-Jake