Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Finally made my AR-15 decision - Colt LE6920 >

Finally made my AR-15 decision - Colt LE6920

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Finally made my AR-15 decision - Colt LE6920

Old 02-25-2018, 06:21 PM
Typical Buck

Default Finally made my AR-15 decision - Colt LE6920

For a long time, there's been a rifle I've wanted to own. It wasn't very high on my to do list, especially considering I'm first and foremost a handgun hunter. However, for a myriad of factors, I decided now is the time to finally pull the trigger on one. Two weeks ago I finally bought my first AR-15:

It's a Colt LE6920, 1-7" twist, optics ready model with a Centurion free floating handrail. After looking at various models at my local store, I decided on the Colt based on recommendations from some of my acquaintances who work at the store and build/shoot ARs. My first impressions were it was fairly lightweight and very handy - perfect for the type of coyote hunting I'm going to be doing with it. The first thing I needed to do to turn it into a hunting rifle was mount a scope.

And then the problems started.

I have an idle Leupold 3-9x40 scope that was once worn by my 270, but got replaced last year. I find 3-9x scopes to be as versatile as they come, equally comfortable in hunting scenarios from 25 to 300 yards, so I decided to put it on the Colt. Unfortunately, I quickly discovered the rings I had picked out were too low to mount the scope. While it would fit, I couldn't look through it without twisting my head uncomfortably due to the straight stock design. I had to return to the store and buy a Vortex mount specifically designed for AR-15s. Thankfully, the additional height afforded by the mount kept the scope at a comfortable level.

When mounting the scope, I remembered how tight the magnification ring was. I attempted to loosen the hex screw on it, but wound up accidentally removing it completely. I realized my mistake only after I attempted to turn the ring and didn't change the magnification. After a bit of fiddling with it, I managed to get it fixed, and it was thankfully a bit looser than before. With the scope mounted, I bore sighted it to 25 yards.

One thing I'm incredibly picky about when it comes to any firearm is the trigger. And this gun's 6.5 pound mil-spec trigger simply wasn't going to do it for me. So, I ordered a 3 pound Timney from Midway. While it has a fair amount of creep to it, it's still a lot better than the original trigger. It was a little tricky to get it installed, but I figured it out.

Between work, school, freelance videography, and especially the weather, I wasn't able to test it out until today.

Even though I eventually intend to use heavier bullets more suitable to the 1-7" twist, I settled on the 55 grain Hornady V-Max for initial sight in and accuracy testing. I admit to being apprehensive about this range session. This thing was fairly pricey, far too expensive to shoot 2 or 3 MOA groups. I was going to be fairly open minded and accept a three-shot group of up to 1.5 MOA. Any bigger groups . . . and I might have to see how much resale value Colts actually have.

I loaded the magazine, chambered a round, took aim at the 50 yard target, and slowly squeezed the trigger.

Click.

I ejected the very lightly struck round and tried again. This time, the gun fired. But not the next time. I managed two more not quite well aimed rounds, but had light strikes on the other seven rounds. I had no idea what could be causing it, or even where to start looking. This AR-15 is a lot more complex than my Encores.

At this point, I was just about ready to give up on the gun. However, I decided to try spraying some WD-40 into the firing pen housing from both ends to see if it would solve the problem. Lo and behold, the gun fired every single time, and I managed to get it on at 50 yards and move back to 100 yards.

This was the moment of truth. I put two orange stickers on a piece of paper, loaded 10 rounds in the magazine, and fired two five shot groups.

I pulled one of the shots from the first group, opening it to about 1.2". Without it, the other four grouped about .9" across. My second group was .870" across.

Sub-MOA groups? With factory ammo? With me shooting? I think I've got a keeper.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Big no-no you have going on. Your scope mount is backwards, and it’s mounted on the handguard. You’ll be vulnerable to induced deflection as the handguard flexes relative to the receiver. Flip that around, get all of the mount on the receiver, and let it hang forward, instead of backwards.

Otherwise, it seems to be treating you well, and will only treat you better once you replace the trigger.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats on an excellent purchase!
Old 02-26-2018, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd certainly give 62 and 69gr bullets a try and see if accuracy improves.

I noticed the mount as well.
Old 02-26-2018, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

Yep, you've got a shooter. Flip that mount around.

I think with some heavier loads you'll be set for yotes and even deer if you want to use it.

-Jake
Old 02-26-2018, 05:07 PM
Typical Buck

I had noticed my mistake shortly after mounting the scope, but didn't think it would be that much of an issue. I trust your judgements, though, so I'll flip the mount and re-sight it.

Strongly considering the 73 grain ELD to handload for it.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

About that firing pin. I squirt mine out with starter fluid (ether) which is a really good gum remover, dries quick and never hurt any part of a rifle I've noticed. Then a single drop of Breakfree or very light synthetic lube of your choice. Firing pins get very little lube, they can collect carbon and which can turn to gum quick.

I avoid WD 40, especially on or near reloads. WD 40 really isn't all that good, doesn't last nearly as long as Breakfree or do nearly as good a job. I've had some issues with reloads and WD-40 back when I used to be a WD-40 fan. WD-40 kills primers, I had a rash of primers failing to fire even with a good primer strike, hasn't happened in decades since I gave up WD-40. Factory ammo is less susceptible, the primers are sealed in the pocket. I have no idea why WD_40 kills primers I just know I never had an issue after I stopped using it anywhere near my ammo (primer). I have to say maybe I was way too liberal with my WD-40 use back then. I live in a high rain, high humidity environment, I clean and liberally lube my firearms often, except in really cold weather.
Old 02-26-2018, 09:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot my first set of 73 ELD’s late last summer. I’m about 1,100 deep in them now. Fantastic little bullet. It ain’t the 75A-max/ELD, but it’s about as close as an AR can get from the mag.
Old 02-27-2018, 01:31 PM
Typical Buck

I flipped the mount, re-attached the scope, and sighted it in again, this time with the chronograph set up. The Hornady 55 grain V-Max factory loads are going 2820 fps with an s.d. of 24. A bit slower than I anticipated, but pretty consistent.

On a side note, my last group today was .920". I let my sister shoot it, and despite the fact that she's never handled an AR, she shot a smaller group than any of groups so far - 0.804".