Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Could this save Remington? >

Could this save Remington?

Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Could this save Remington?

Old 02-12-2018, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Could this save Remington?

Now that they're filing for bankruptcy, I wonder if they can save it.

I understand that their quality went disastrously bad several years ago.

Would this work? Savage was near death at one point in the late eighties, early nineties and they cut out production of every firearm but the model 110 rifle. It was the only gun that they could profitably make and so they ditched everything else and kept only enough workers to run that line.

Remington does have the 870 shotgun, and the 700 rifle. Could they do something like that around those?
Old 02-13-2018, 03:10 AM
Fork Horn

Maybe this is a result of all the lawsuits they've had to settle and ones yet to come. I bet their operating profits are healthy.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:50 AM
Boone & Crockett

I doubt it, right now they have a lot of competition from companies that are making better quality rifles for less money than Remington. They have been trying to live on their laurels and it hasn't worked. You can't live on your name when your name when people have lost confidence in the name.
Old 02-13-2018, 03:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

I've shot Remington Model 700s for years. But I admit that I haven't looked at any new ones for at least 15 years. My 7mm Mag has been knocking over deer and elk since 1977, my 6.5x55 Swede has been dropping deer and pronghorn since the early 1980's and my 375 H&H has been wollaping the bigger stuff since the mid 1980's. The last newer Rems I handled were a 7mm Mag and a 243 my late father bought about 2003 or so.

My days of running out and buying new rifles or shotguns is over. What I have is what I will hunt with until I can no longer go and then they will pass to my nephews.
Old 02-13-2018, 04:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

That is one of the downsides to making and selling hunting firearms. If they are made well they are good for generations. I am pretty sure I won't be buying any more because I don't need any more, I didn't need as many as I have.
Old 02-13-2018, 08:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

The last Remington I bought was in 2013, the year my Grandson was born. That year they came out with the stainless CDL Classic, in 6MM Rem. The 6MM is my favorite deer caliber and since it was the year he was born, I had to have it! It will be his one day. It is a well made gun and accurate too. I understand that there was a recall on the trigger, but mine works fine so I've never sent it in!
Old 02-13-2018, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
That is one of the downsides to making and selling hunting firearms. If they are made well they are good for generations.

Agreed, and there's an ironic element to it. They were bought out by people who were businessmen but did not know firearms or firearms customers. Customers expect guns to last that long. Some of their products (especially the 770), look to be built on the principle of a person buying a new one when it wears out. (planned obsolescence, if i know my business terms). Gun people want and expect guns to last forever with cleaning and a wipedown of oil.
Old 02-13-2018, 02:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Few years ago I purchased a 1187 20ga SPS, now I love the gun and it's damn accurate. I don't use it often but I took it to the range to check the zero as I do all my slug guns in the spring. Well on this day, the action wouldn't close. I called Remington, they gave me two options send it back to them or take it to a authorized Remington gunsmith for repairs, submit the bill to Remington for re-imburstment . I decided to take it to a gunsmith, once the the repair got complete I faxed over the repair bill with the the original authorization #, Remington contacted me the very same day and said they "WILL NOT COVER REPAIR COST" as it's owners fault. It's clear the action bar broke, and fault was weak metal. I went back to gunsmith, he called Remington right in front of me on speaker phone and explained to them it's NOT the owners fault, they once more refused. I will never purchase a new Remington.

Now I know why they didn't pay for repairs, NO MONEY
Old 02-16-2018, 12:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry about your experience, Bowhuntercop. That would infuriate anyone.

Virtually everything I've heard about Remington the last several years has been bad. The one exception was some good reports on the Remington 783 as an entry rifle. I have no experience with the gun, though.
Old 02-17-2018, 04:11 AM
Super Moderator

I don't know what their future is, but there are lots of old 700s around, and they are great rifles..

-Jake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.